Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » How quickly did you settle down as a regular smoker after your 1st cigarette?

How quickly did you settle down as a regular smoker after your 1st cigarette?

View Poll Results: How quickly did you settle down as a regular smoker following your 1st cigarette?
Almost immediately 85 55.19%
within 6 months 31 20.13%
6-12 months 13 8.44%
longer 25 16.23%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2015, 12:08 PM

filter man has a spectacular aura aboutfilter man has a spectacular aura about
Default How quickly did you settle down as a regular smoker after your 1st cigarette?

Some smokers here will have settled in pretty quickly-almost immediately.Others will have taken longer-eg for reasons like cost,restricted opportunities for regular smoking or allowing time for the new smokers' system to fully adjust to regular smoking.
I started smoking aged 17 but didn't regard myself as a fully fledged smoker until 21 when I secured permanent employment and could afford to smoke regularly and settle in at 20+ a day.
I've included a poll to help make comparisons so please share your own experiences and add comments with fellow smokers here.Thanks.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:10 AM

bram19 is on a distinguished road

I settled in as a smoker before I had finished my first pack, I liked smoking and knew I would never quit. So I was a regular smoker almost immediately.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:56 AM

cigs4todd is on a distinguished road

Once I had started my summer job and was just one of the smokers for the first time did it hit me. I really was a smoker now.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

I was fairly young when I tried my first cigarette, at 13, though it wasn't too unusual back in the 1970s for 13 yr. olds to be regular smokers. Although I was sure I wanted to be a smoker eventually, I had mixed feelings about becoming a "real smoker" at 13, so I suppose you could say I was an irregular smoker for 15 months. Within days after turning 15, when I started my first after school job, I became a regular smoker. That was almost 36 years ago.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 07-06-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:08 PM

Jason Bancroft is on a distinguished road

I started smoking at 13 by taking my dad's Winston Golds and it took me a while to actually enjoy smoking. Once this happened I started to smoke more and when I got caught at 14 and started to smoke all day as I didn't have to sneak around any more, long live the 80's when it was considered normal for 14 year olds to be smokers, I really settled down as a regular smoker. Smoking together with my parents, their friends and my relatives. Oh sorry, didn't know you smoked Jason, here have one of mine.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:01 AM

SmokerNY is an unknown quantity at this point

I was 12, stole a pack of my ole man's winstons from the kitchen drawer. Went out back and sparked that bad boy up. Puffing wasn't a problem since I seen it done a million times. Didn't get the whole 'inhaling' thing down immediately but at first I was doing direct inhales and they made me sick to stomach so I stopped and once I payed more attention and saw that smokers drew into their mouth then inhaled that sealed the deal and I was a smoker from that day on.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:51 AM

Jim is an unknown quantity at this point

I started at 18 with the intention of being an occasional/light smoker until I finish my schooling. However, it did not happen as I fell in love with cigarettes and started smoking more and more on a daily basis. So, you could say that I became a regular smoker almost immediately after the first cigarette though the irony is the first few cigarettes were pure nightmare to me.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:01 AM

marbdude is on a distinguished road

I was facinated by guys lighting up as soon as they got outside and wanted to be like that. Started smoking at 15 but at first didn't really like it but liked the image so kept at it. Took me a while to settle down as a regular smoker but I did.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:09 AM

Harley M. is an unknown quantity at this point

Pretty much right from the start -- I was about 14 and had wanted to do it as long as I could remember (my parents were very anti). If I had had a way to start earlier, I would have, but having to wait meant I was ready.

Loved the taste, liked the smell, took to inhaling immediately, really liked the feel of the smoke in my lungs and still do. Smoking gave me a way into an older crowd who accepted it, since most of my peers didn't do it.

I didn't start on lights and still don't like them -- I bought Reds, Winstons, Camel filters. There was a gas station near my house with an unattended cigarette machine in the waiting room so that was no problem. And I rode my bike all the time and wasn't home much, so there was the opportunity. I could blaze through a pack a day easy if I didn't have school.

By the time I was 16 I was got a job working at a movie theater where it wasn't a problem -- the owner was a smoker and the manager was a veteran who didn't smoke but treated me like an adult.

Some people discover they want to smoke later. I always knew I wanted to do it as long as I could remember, so I settled down with it as quick as I could.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:01 AM

lamberts uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Once I started to sneak one after tea I continued everyday but just adding an extra one in the mix every now and then.

After a few months I was up to about six a day and started to want and have one soon after I got out in the morning.