Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » how long does it take before I am addicted ?

how long does it take before I am addicted ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2014, 09:23 AM

smoker95 is on a distinguished road
Default how long does it take before I am addicted ?

I started smoking at 15, once in a while I would smoke, either with friends or with my older brother. Being under age, the cost and the fear of addiction kept me from becoming a regular smoker. I liked smoking but was not sure if I really wanted to be a fully addicted smoker for the rest of my life.
Last year I made the conscientious decision to go for it, at 18 I knew for sure I really wanted to smoke so went out and bought myself a carton of Marlboro Reds. When I came home my dad looked quite surprised when I walked in with my carton. Didn't know you smoked Richard, as you can see I do and that was it. My parents, older brother and older sister all smoke so I guess he was not too surprised that I had started.
So for the last year I have been a daily smoker and smoke close to a pack a day now. Lighting up the minute I wake up and smoking just before I go to sleep, the thing is I don't seem to be addicted yet. Last week I could not smoke at all and I was not bothered by it. A collegue who also smokes ferociously chewed nicotine gum, another brought a can of dip and both were still miserable. I didn't mis my Reds at all and when I got home didn't even smoke. The next day I visited my parents and when dad offered me a cigarette, which I accepted, I smoked for the first time in 9 days. Have smoked my usual but am worried that I can't be addicted.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:36 PM

johnnyd is on a distinguished road

Everyone’s body and physiology is different, especially when it comes to interactions with chemical substances. Just as some can drink alcohol socially while others become alcoholics, and some can use illegal drugs casually while others become dysfunctional junkies after their first hit. Your unique physiology MAY permit you to smoke (use nicotine) “casually” and then stop whenever you want with no withdrawal consequences……
Old 08-30-2014, 08:16 AM

filter man has a spectacular aura aboutfilter man has a spectacular aura about

Firstly son,congratulations on becoming a smoker and welcome to our club.Smoking is one of the most satisfying and enjoyable experiences in daily life. Many young smokers have issues and ask questions about addiction.I wouldn't concern yourself too much about this.
There's no hard or fast rules about how many cigarettes you should smoke per day-nor the time intervals between smoking.Each smoker sets his own schedule.The main thing is to enjoy your smoking at whatever level you feel comfortable with.Just smoke whenever the desire or opportunity arises to satisfy your body-if you're ok not smoking for an extended period then that's fine.After saying all this most smokers do eventually settle down and level off pretty regularly at a ppd+ as addiction settles in.I reckon if you keep on smoking and from what you say this is a definite certainty-then the addiction you seek will surely arrive-but don't seek this as a goal in itself-just enjoy your smoking for the pleasure and satisfaction it offers.
Best wishes and don't hesitate to contact us here again if you have any issues or questions as your smoking career matures.

Last edited by filter man; 08-30-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:42 PM

redjohn is on a distinguished road

Don't focus on becoming addicted too much, if you continue smoking at the rate you do, you will be addicted. You probably already are to some degree. The fact that not smoking for some time didn't bother you at all does not mean you are not addicted yet. Many smokers can go without smoking for a while. The fact that you picked it up right away after lighting up shows that your body is already used to your smoking.
Focus more on the enjoyment smoking gives you and there will be a time that you realize that you are addicted, it happens to all of us.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:20 AM

JenniferWalker is an unknown quantity at this point

Smoke for your hobby not for your addiction. If you take it as a hobby, you will never be addicted of it.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:48 AM

f.virtue is an unknown quantity at this point

I started when I was 12 because everybody smoked it didn't take long - about 2 weeks.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:18 AM

cigs4todd is on a distinguished road

I started smoking in February and smoke between 25 and 30 cigarettes a day.
Am I addicted probably but I don't really know. Last weekend I visited a cousin who has severe asthma and didn't smoke for two whole days, I didn't have any problem not lighting up and didn't feel bad at all. Monday morning I left for home a 4 hour drive and for the first two hours didn't smoke and then I lit up, by the time I went to bed on monday I had smoked at leadt a pack and on tuesday was back to normal. I guess you most likely are already addicted, but not smoking just doesn't bother you too much, as long as you can light up after a while again.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:38 PM
Banned

jeanrose770 is infamous around these parts

Why would you want to start the addictive feeling if you don't crave it? I mean so many people start smoking as a stress reliever or as an outlet for something. So if you don't have the urges or the addiction and if you are fine with out them. Why on Earth would you be smoking? It is not good for you and those who are addicted Im sure would love to quit just as much if not more than how much you actually want the addiction. SO CONFUSED!
Old 12-10-2014, 07:37 AM

smoker95 is on a distinguished road
Default Addicted

Well addiction has arrived. Over thanksgiving went to Hawaii with my parents.
On the flight from Chicago to Los Angeles I started to get cravings real bad and the only thing I could think about was smoking. We had a two hour layover at LAX and I couldn't get outside fast enough for a much needed smoke. The hastle of going through security was worth it. Chained 5 Reds in a row and finally felt human again. My parents stayed at the gate, don't know how they did it.
In Honolulu I again was the first one to light up, but my parents weren't far behind.
Leveled of at smoking 25-30 cigarettes a day for the last month and don't plan on increasing anymore, the cost is killing me.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:37 AM

susanlinda823 is on a distinguished road

I started smoking at 14. I cant still remember the first time I smoked. While working at Wendys. Haha. Manager gave me my first smoke. I thought I was going to pass out.