Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » How long did it take you to realize addiction had set in

How long did it take you to realize addiction had set in

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2014, 05:02 PM

kyle93 is on a distinguished road

I can't really put a finger on the "addiction" thing either. I was around cigarettes all through high school and had one occasionally but my senior year I decided I wanted to actually start smoking. So I made a point to have a few cigarettes after school every day with my friends. Then that summer I had an incredibly boring job, so I'd go out for a smoke every hour--not because I was addicted, but because I wanted to. By the time I got to college it was pretty much a pack a day, which fit my lifestyle. At some point I'm sure I got hooked on it, but I always did it first because I enjoyed it.

I've become more of a 30-a-day than pack-a-day guy over the past year, but again I can't say that's addiction more than it is me wanting those extra 10.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:44 PM

JJsmokes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Addiction

I was an occasional smoker for several years, even when I moved in with my girlfriend who was a committed pack a day smoker I didn't smoke every day. As there were always cigarettes in the house I began to smoke more and more, weekends only became weekends and the odd weekday evening, which the became weekends and every week day evening, which then led to coming out at work and smoking during the day too. I still hadn't noticed I was addicted, I thought I just 'wanted' a cigarette. One day I was home alone without any cigarettes and had this kind of empty feeling that got more and more intense but I still hadn't appreciated what it was. My sister-in-law dropped by to pick something up, I made coffee and she offered me one of her cigarettes. I took it and it was the most surreal experience, I suddenly felt fulfilled and satisfied, so I told her about the empty feeling which had now gone. With a knowing smile, she left but remembering to leave the rest of the pack of cigarettes with me. That feeling returned a couple of hours later, I smoked a cigarette, it went away. The rest, as they say, is history...
Old 01-23-2015, 04:25 PM

RedsPat is on a distinguished road

I seriously don't know when I realized I was addicted. I have smoked every single day since my first cigarette and I light up because I feel like smoking.
Am I addicted to smoking, sure but I won't find out until I try to quit which won't happen any time soon.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:04 PM

marbs4ben is on a distinguished road

I can't really say when I realised I was addicted to smoking. I smoke because I like to smoke. Sure I usually go through a pack a day but I light every cigarette because I want to. I still don't feel like I have to light up because my body demands me to. On long flights I can't smoke and sofar that doesn't bother me. The first cigarette I light up afterwards is pure heaven.
Smoking a pack a day for a couple of years now I must be addicted but since I never tried quitting I really don't feel it.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:06 PM

randolph79 is on a distinguished road

When I started smoking, I sarted to become a smoker, yes I knew that once you were hooked, quitting was hard but I never thought about it. I really can't tell you when I realized I was addicted since I have been a regular smoker since I was 13 and never have tried to quit.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:50 PM

will68 is on a distinguished road

When I lit my first cigarette at 13, I did so to become a smoker. I bought myself a pack of Reds from a vending machine and have been a smoker since that day.
I never thought about addiction, smoking was a habit and I knew that once you started smoking it would be a hard habit to break. I had no intention of breaking the habit and have smoked every single day since I lit up for the first time.
I never hid my smoking from my parents and when I lit up after dinner just like they did, all dad said was like your brand son. I had bought Marlboro Reds because that is what my dad smoked.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:48 AM

nigel is on a distinguished road

In health class they always told us smoking was addictive but as a new smoker I had no idea what that actually would feel like. Rude awakening came about a year after I had started smoking. On a school trip, students were strictly forbidden to smoke or drink after the second day of not being able to smoke but one or two cigarettes, I felt awful, restless, grumpy etc. Only when I got home later that afternoon and had smoked about 5 cigarettes in a row did I feel normal again. That is when I realised that addiction had set in, I now not only smoked because I wanted to smoke but also because I needed to smoke.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:18 AM

henryvanzand is on a distinguished road

I actually started smoking because the whole addiction thing intrigued me. Once I had started smoking however I quickly smoked because of the pleasure it gave me. Addiction was not on my mind anymore. Am I addicted, well after smoking for 16 years of course I am, do I know how it feels not really. I light up because I feel like smoking.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:20 PM

NorCalBoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down

The summer after I became a smoker, my cigarette intake doubled (and since has doubled again). I didn't really notice, though. It was a lazy, crazy summer when I could light up whenever I needed to. I hadn't even considered what would happen when school started up again.

Early on, I noticed that I started craving a cigarette late in the school day. At first I thought they were random but when they kept reappearing, I realized I had long been addicted to smoking.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:00 PM

DaveOH is on a distinguished road

Most of the time I don't notice the addiction much because as long as I stick to my smoking schedule, I don't get impossible cravings. It does become obvious to me though that I must be addicted when I catch myself doing something clearly crazy. Like earlier this week, I smoked more the day before than normal so I didn't have any left by the next morning. When I woke up and discovered this, I jumped in the car at 5:30 am to head over to the gas station to get another pack. I remember thinking wow, I must really be addicted as this doesn't make much sense otherwise.