Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » If You Could Do It Over Again?

If You Could Do It Over Again?

View Poll Results: If I had to do it over again, I would:
Start smoking at an earlier age 65 36.52%
Do nothing different 75 42.13%
Start smoking at a later age 10 5.62%
Not start smoking at all 28 15.73%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2014, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice
Question If You Could Do It Over Again?

If you could do it over again, would you have started smoking? Would you have started at a younger or an older age? Or would you have done nothing different? Do you have any regrets at all? There's a poll at the top of this thread.

My own answer would be that I would probably have done nothing different. I tried my first cigarette at 13, and I bought the pack myself. I don't think anything would have deterred me, even though in hindsight I do have to admit that 13 was too young an age to be smoking. At the time, in the late 70's, many kids were already smoking at 12 and 13, so it wasn't at all unusual. But since I spent about fifteen months "experimenting" (that means getting a pack and taking about four to five days to finish it, then not smoking for a week or two, and then repeating the cycle all over again), I was still undecided -- not about whether I wanted to become a smoker, but whether I should be smoking now. Within days after turning 15, I started smoking "full time," about 10-15 cigarettes a day. For me, that was the right time, and I have no regrets. I really enjoyed smoking then, and still do today.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 05-27-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:09 AM

Stig is an unknown quantity at this point

I started pretty young, at least for the current time, at 14 but know if I could do it over again that was the right time for me to start and would definitely do it again at the same age.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:53 PM

marlborofan has a spectacular aura aboutmarlborofan has a spectacular aura aboutmarlborofan has a spectacular aura about

Don't get me wrong, I love smoking immensely, but if I could go back to the day I smoked my first cigarette at 16 I don't know if I would do it.

I would never quit now, but if I had not started and thus would have nothing to miss - it probably would have been the better decision to leave the Marlboros alone!
Old 05-27-2014, 12:21 AM

IHCman is on a distinguished road

I don't think I would have ever started at all. Don't get me wrong I love smoking but sometimes think about all the money I'd have saved by not smoking and the health aspect of it too.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

I can understand your point of view about the money saved and the health risks avoided by never having started in the first place. For me, though, the prospect of possibly having gone through life deprived of the enjoyment I've gotten from smoking is utterly unattractive. Knowing what I do now, I'd still start without hesitation. In fact, that would have been a change . . . my roughly fifteen months of "experimenting" was hesitation, not about whether I wanted to smoke (I certainly did), but I knew that smoking was an adult habit and that I was still too young. Looking back, given that I had smoked my first cigarette when I did, I would have preferred to have just committed to being a smoker then and not have gone through the "on again, off again" cycle, and the underlying guilt, for those fifteen months.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 05-27-2014 at 08:20 PM. Reason: added thoughts
Old 05-27-2014, 11:50 PM

Gwen_C is on a distinguished road

Ok, so I’m going to be candid with this one. I started smoking at a very young age and consider myself to be a lifelong heavy smoker at this point. I have no intentions of quitting anytime soon, mostly because I enjoy it so much. However, the truth is that smoking is unhealthy (yes), expensive, and can cause social “complications” among other things. So yes, I probably would have been better off if I had never known what it was like. But since I do, I will continue to smoke and enjoy my cigarettes. Now some of you may disagree with me on this one, particularly as this is a “pro-smoking” site, while others may see my point of view, but I am just being honest. It’s your classic love hate relationship.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:32 AM

kyle93 is on a distinguished road

I struggled with this one. I started at 17 which was fine, and I still enjoy smoking now but I do want to quit eventually. I almost wish I had started sooner to get more smoking years in while I can get away with the young-and-foolish excuse.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:49 AM

filter man has a spectacular aura aboutfilter man has a spectacular aura about

I would definitely become a smoker.Embassy Filter is still available and would quickly become my regular choice in smoking.Smoking is central to my life!!
Old 05-28-2014, 09:51 AM

wbealsd is just really nicewbealsd is just really nicewbealsd is just really nicewbealsd is just really nice

I started younger than most, as my Dad was in the vending machine business and a big part of that was cigarettes. Smoked my first cigarette at age 7 with some friends and I've always enjoyed it. Became a regular pack a day smoker by age 13.

I enjoy smoking and have no desire to quit. No noticeable health issues, since I'm pretty active and FWIW cancer has never "run" in my family. I really don't care if it's "socially acceptable," or not. Smoking really isn't the worst vice one can have, in the big scheme of things, so I have no regrets.

Last edited by wbealsd; 06-04-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:42 AM

Chic is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

I started smoking at 15 - 16 yrs old. If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't smoke. I'm no longer enjoying smoking as I once did. I'm spending almost $11.00 a pack for Virginia slims lights and almost NO one sells cigarettes anymore where I live. All the drugstores (except one) have quit carrying cigarettes. I have to drive far out of my way (add gas expenses now to the cost of the actual cigarettes) fight for parking spots, battle crowds, all for what? Because I'm addicted to a habit I no longer enjoy as I once did.

I wonder what I will do when this one drugstore and all the grocery stores quit selling cigarettes too.

I think the government is trying to control out behavior by making the sale of cigarettes almost illegal. I feel like a pariah and I hate that feeling.