Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » Buying cigarettes without an ID

Buying cigarettes without an ID

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 02:26 AM

kyle93 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post
Good! You're lucky that all that it took to learn from your mistake was 3 days in jail (that part seems a little harsh to me -- did you have any prior DUI on your record?) and the loss of your driver's license for six months. It could have been much worse ... like having gotten into an accident, especially one with injuries and/or fatalities.
I know man, I'm lucky. And it was my first DUI, but my second underage drinking arrest, and between that and a sorta-high BAC and a tough judge, I was screwed from the outset. It sucked.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:30 AM

filter man has a spectacular aura aboutfilter man has a spectacular aura about
Question

What are the rules regarding "DUI "in USA?Does it vary between states?
Old 12-31-2013, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by filter man View Post
What are the rules regarding "DUI "in USA?Does it vary between states?
It varies between states. Not long ago 1.0 was the "standard," but in many states it's now 0.8. Just wait till marijuana's fully legalized ... I'm already seeing television ads warning about "buzzed driving" rather than "drunk driving" (the ads, by the way, say that "buzzed driving is drunk driving" ... that is, equating the two). The penalties for DUI have also become much more harsh than they used to be. Kyle's punishment for a first-time offense seemed a bit harsh to me, though the aggravating circumstances he mentioned might have made his case atypical. The judge's sentence, while harsh, may have done him a favor in the long run, as it certainly seemed to "wake" him up.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:10 PM

marlborofan has a spectacular aura aboutmarlborofan has a spectacular aura aboutmarlborofan has a spectacular aura about

0.8% is the limit here in the UK. They are pushing for a Zero Tolerance for drink driving whereby you can't have ANY alcohol in your blood at all. I'm not sure whether I would support that or not to be honest as although in principle it is a good idea it doesn't allow for so much as a few sips which of course have no effect on alertness. It just depends how you can take your drink I guess. I know some people who are tipsy after one beer and others who could drink a whole keg and still be lucid. Anyway, I'm taking this thread off subject and rambling on as well, so I'll shut up now.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:21 PM

kyle93 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post
It varies between states. Not long ago 1.0 was the "standard," but in many states it's now 0.8. Just wait till marijuana's fully legalized ... I'm already seeing television ads warning about "buzzed driving" rather than "drunk driving" (the ads, by the way, say that "buzzed driving is drunk driving" ... that is, equating the two). The penalties for DUI have also become much more harsh than they used to be. Kyle's punishment for a first-time offense seemed a bit harsh to me, though the aggravating circumstances he mentioned might have made his case atypical. The judge's sentence, while harsh, may have done him a favor in the long run, as it certainly seemed to "wake" him up.
I'd say it did me a favor, although to be completely honest I didn't feel like I was impaired even at 0.12. But I certainly won't be driving again with any alcohol in my system ever again, whereas I previously felt OK driving after a couple drinks.

You're right that this was atypical, but I ran into a tough judge. Like I said upthread, the worst part of it was not being able to smoke for a few days, which begs the question of why jails don't have smoking areas.