Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » Anybody who let their kids smoke?

Anybody who let their kids smoke?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 04:58 AM

VS120forlife will become famous soon enough
Default Anybody who let their kids smoke?

I am a 36 yr old female been smoking since I was 14. My daughter also smokes, started at 14, know 18. I caught her smoking, sat her down, talked I her and let her make her own choice. Anybody who lets their kids smoke? I don't think it's a bad thing if it's their choice and at first you talk to them about it. She loves smoking know, as do I, and we have grown a lot closer since she started.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:03 AM

BobbyE is just really niceBobbyE is just really niceBobbyE is just really niceBobbyE is just really niceBobbyE is just really nice

Once they turn 18 it's their life let them live it, as long as they are paying for it.

In some states it's not legal for underage kids to smoke.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

I don't have children, so it's an "academic" question for me. I always thought that the legal age to purchase tobacco should be the same as the age to obtain a driver's license, and/or to obtain paid employment without violating child labor laws. If someone is deemed mature enough to drive and work, he is mature enough to make his own decision about tobacco use. In most places that age is 16. If I were a parent, I might not object to a "mature" 15 yr. old smoking, but any younger than that is, I think, too young. That doesn't mean kids in their early teens (or even preteens) might not take up the habit on their own, and if they do their parents might not be able to stop them (assuming they even know), but that doesn't mean the parents have to give their consent.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:14 PM

kyle93 is on a distinguished road

My parents let my brother and I smoke when we were 17 and didn't give us that much trouble for it. We always bought our own though. In retrospect, maybe it would have been better if they came down hard on us.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:25 AM

marlborofan has a spectacular aura aboutmarlborofan has a spectacular aura aboutmarlborofan has a spectacular aura about

My daughter started smoking when she was 16 and I wasn't happy about it, but in the end it was her life and once I'd sat her down and explained why she shouldn't smoke (money, possible health risks etc...) it was up to her to make an informed decision on whether to keep smoking or stop. She chose to continue, and that is that.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:29 PM

cigarettesarenotbad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My son smokes

I allow my 16 year old son to smoke cigarettes. A lot of people think differently than me though. He is a mature and devoted young man. I am in a wheel chair and rely on him for so much. He continues to make many sacrifices for me. I am a rather heavy smoker and I let him try smoking two years ago and he decided it was really something he wanted to do. His name is Matthew and he is very loving, disciplined and intelligent. I think Matthew and I are both wired for it. LOL.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Chief Smoker will become famous soon enough

14 is a bit young IMO however I started at 12. My mother didn't approve but knew I was smoking. 16 sounds like a reasonable age to smoke to allow your child to smoke. Just make sure they are informed of the risks.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:41 PM

the iron horse will become famous soon enoughthe iron horse will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BobbyE View Post
Once they turn 18 it's their life let them live it, as long as they are paying for it.

In some states it's not legal for underage kids to smoke.

Same here. We told our two sons this:

When you turn 18. You will be the adult. You can decide then. Just remember to understand both sides of the issue on tobacco use.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:21 AM

montrealsmoker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sure do

In August of last year I caught my 15 year old son smoking, had a talk with him and found out he already was smoking for almost a year,so he mostlikely is already pretty addicted to it by now. Eventhough I was not happy about it, being a two pack a day man myself and a smoker since I was 13 I could not justify forbidding him to smoke so allowed him to smoke at home. Watching my own flesh and blood lighting up and inhaling the smoke into his lungs and clearly enjoying smoking took some getting used to.
When I caught my 14 year old in November the only thing I could do was give him permission to smoke at home too.
In a perfect world neither one of them would start smoking or if they did would wait untill they were say 18 or so. But as I clearly set a bad example by smoking in front of them, I sould not be surprised they have started smoking already.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Montrealsmoker:
First, welcome to cigreviews.
I don't think you should feel as though you set a "bad example." There are many activities acceptable for adults that are not appropriate for children, and children need to understand that. The "gray area," as I see it, is with the ages between puberty and legal majority, a time when young people have a natural desire, for reasons partly physiological and partly psychological, to attain adult status. I agree that you took the only practical course of action with your two teens, and I can understand why as a parent you would have preferred that the things have been different, but I don't think it is in any way your fault. For all you know, they may have taken up smoking even if you had been a nonsmoker, so there is little point in second guessing about what 'could have been' had you done things differently. The "bad example" you could be setting is your feelings of guilt ... I'm sure you wouldn't want to pass these feelings of guilt on to your sons and unintentionally condemn them into being guilt-ridden smokers. Let them live their own lives, and try to help guide their decisions with the benefit of your knowledge and experience. I predict in time you'll get used to them being smokers, and will think nothing of it. I wish your whole family the best of luck.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 02-12-2014 at 07:57 AM.