Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » Looking Back 5-10 Years From Now

Looking Back 5-10 Years From Now

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 07:52 AM

Jimboslice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking Back 5-10 Years From Now

Hello fellow smokers! I was in the car earlier enjoying the first smoke of the morning and I had a few thoughts and questions on my current situation.

So a little bit about me (some of you may already know from reading previous threads), I'm a 19 year old college student going to be 20 in a couple of months.

I started picking up the smoking habit this summer. My father is an avid smoker and I thought I'd try one of his Marlboro Lights one day. I ended up buying my own pack and started off slow maybe 1-2 a day.

It hasn't been even a year yet and I'm up to a pack every 2 days. I told myself I wouldn't get addicted when I started (don't we all tell ourselves that? ), but now I see this turning into a habit. I love the relaxation smoking brings me and I love the occasional boge with my friends.

Now here's the reason I made this thread. Obviously, we are all aware of the risks of smoking. I am the kind of guy to be a worrywart with stuff like this. I haven't even been smoking a year yet and I've noticed I do cough more occasionally when I'm not smoking and I've had some chest pain the past couple of days. I realize however, this is probably not due to smoking. It is getting very cold very fast over here where I live and I think the change of climate is what's doing that to me. But just out of curiosity: is it normal to see some of these effects not even a year into the habit? Also: Is it OK if I continue to smoke even with these slight cold symptoms I have, or will doing so make the cold worse?

Finally onto the big topic: yes I know we all hate talking about it but the risk of cancer. Growing up with my father who smoked since he was my age, I've always had that worry in the back of my head about this subject. My father has to have been smoking for close to 30 years now and goes through over a pack a day. Now that I've picked up the habit I worry more about the future I guess. I realize I just started and have thousands of cigarettes still down the road, but was wondering what your thoughts were on the whole cancer risk. I feel like we're made aware of the risks, put the knowledge in the back of our head, and then don't think about it again but I feel like it's a topic worth talking about.

Any thoughts/insights appreciated
Old 09-18-2013, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

I strongly doubt that you should be noticing much difference in your health this early into the smoking habit, certainly not chest pain! At most, maybe coughing up a little phlegm first thing in the morning, and only occasionally at that.

About cancer, from what I've read, 1 out of 5 smokers eventually get lung cancer. Of course, the risk is much higher than for people who have never smoked. But just because your father is a smoker for many years doesn't mean that he will definitely get cancer later in life. The health risks from smoking are probabilities, not certainties. Do you know your family history with regard to cancer, particularly lung cancer? That might provide a clue about the probability.

I find it a little peculiar that many new smokers today start smoking thinking that the habit won't become entrenched. Back when I started, most of us who started smoking consciously made the decision to become smokers. But then there was no social stigma, and you could smoke virtually anywhere, and even nonsmokers kept ashtrays in their homes for their smoker guests (it would have been considered inhospitable to make guests go outside to smoke, back then).
Old 09-18-2013, 04:38 PM

filter man has a spectacular aura aboutfilter man has a spectacular aura about

Jimboslice;
At your age son I wouldn't worry about anything.Just have fun and enjoy your life.From what you say I reckon you're now settling down as a confirmed,regular smoker so accept this fact.Enjoy the pleasure and satisfaction that smoking can offer to your daily life from now on and in the years to come.Life has risks for smokers and non smokers alike.If you still feel a little concerned- stay with the mildest filter cigarette which still offers the level of taste and flavor that your palate demands.

Last edited by filter man; 10-06-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by filter man View Post
Jimboslice;
At your age son I wouldn't worry about anything.Just have fun and enjoy your life,smoking included.
Agreed! "Don't worry. Be happy!" And have a smoke!
Old 09-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Chief Smoker will become famous soon enough

I agree with masklofumanto, at this point in your life worrying about what's going to happen 30 years down the road is premature. My parents both smoked for 40 + years and never had lung cancer. I've had periods in my life where I smoked several packs a day and my body told me that was too much. I simply cut back to a reasonable level.

Alcohol, caffeine, smoking - all addictive. All lead to health issues depending on your genetics and lifestyle. Moderation is key and try and live a stress free life.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:45 PM

Markomarkh is an unknown quantity at this point

I find its certain brands that give me feelings like you describing, you gotta try all brands and see what suits you, I find I feel healthier when I'm smoking additive free tobacco like American spirit or golden Virginia smooth, sovereign seem nice and smooth too. If ya concerned about you health and is still causing trouble then you could quit with the help of champix pills, but I must warn you they don't suit everybody as they've had funny side effects on some people but you can ask your doctor.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:00 PM

Cyberote will become famous soon enoughCyberote will become famous soon enough

Hasn't been a year for me yet either, but I've also noticed I cough more than I used to. Just a little bit here and there, however, and I smoke about the same amount you do. I believe it's normal. I'm not concerned about cancer or anything like that. My family doesn't have a history of lung cancer, so I think I'm good. My dad's been smoking since he was 14 and he smokes like a pack a day and he's still in good shape.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:03 PM

kyle93 is on a distinguished road

Hey Jimboslice,

I'm about the same age as you and I've been smoking for 3 years, and I agree with what other people have said. I'm not noticing too many side effects outside of coughing and I'm not that worried about long term problems. But you're right, it's always in the back of your mind what things are going to be like down the road.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:34 AM

dajo will become famous soon enoughdajo will become famous soon enough

I think it is normal for a smoker to cough a bit more than a non smoker. I started very early when I was 9, been having smokers cough since I was 12 so I'm kind of used to it. Sure it's gotten worse over the years to the point I had to see a doctor few months back. With the right medication I've been coughing much less and been able to smoke normally.

Have you tried menthol cigarettes? They are very good if you're suffering cold, they open your blocked sinuses and ease coughing. I highly recommend! Menthols helped me when I was suffering severe cough issues last year.

In fact I just bought a carton Marlboro menthols since I've been having symptoms of a cold for a week. I know they don't cure fever, but they surely help if you have a sore throat, have pain in your lungs or if you cough
Old 10-01-2013, 09:20 PM

ruthenburg is an unknown quantity at this point

Your too young for that. Just try to take good care of your health as soon as now even if you're smoking. Not all smokers die of diseases related to it because not all are undisciplined.