Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Gold Cigarettes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Old Gold Cigarettes

About sixty years ago, Old Gold was the fourth best-selling cigarette brand in the United States. Like Camel and Lucky Strike, it eventually introduced filtered cigarettes in addition to the non-filters. By the 1970s, its market share began to sharply decline, and Lorillard discontinued advertising the brand around 1975. However, the brand still exists, though it is hard to find.

While vacationing at Lake George, New York I happened to stop by a Sunoco station on Route 9 to ask for directions, and as I was speaking to the clerk, I saw packs of Old Gold Filters directly in front of me. So, exclaiming "You have Old Golds? Nobody has those!" (and the clerk chuckled), I bought a pack of FF Old Gold Filters King-size to try, despite New York's obscenely high cigarette prices -- the cost, with sales tax included, was $9.34, which is the most I have ever paid for a pack of cigarettes. I found the Old Golds to be very good cigarettes, having a bold, full-flavored, full-bodied smoke, which is what I favor in a cigarette. I'd estimate that the "strength" is comparable to Marlboro Reds, while the taste, I think, would be akin to a Newport minus the menthol. In fact, I found it to be a much better cigarette than the newly reintroduced Newport Reds.

About the convenience store at the Sunoco station, it was like being a kid in a candy shop. The clerk showed me other "exotic" brands that were in stock (including, unbelievably, Djarum Blacks). The pack of Old Golds I got were fresh, so those at least hadn't been on the shelf for too long.

Has anyone else tried Old Golds, either recently or long ago? Or, has anyone seen them where you buy your cigarettes? If you can find them, and have similar tastes to mine, you might want to give them a try.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 08-01-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:55 PM

marlborofan has a spectacular aura aboutmarlborofan has a spectacular aura aboutmarlborofan has a spectacular aura about

I didn't think Djarum Blacks could be sold in the USA because they were classed as a "flavoured cigarette"?

I buy them from time to time from a UK website (Blacks, that is), but they only ship within the UK unfortunately.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:12 PM

Ben_P will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by marlborofan View Post
I didn't think Djarum Blacks could be sold in the USA because they were classed as a "flavoured cigarette"?

I buy them from time to time from a UK website (Blacks, that is), but they only ship within the UK unfortunately.
They are now Djarum Cigars. As long as the wrappers are tobacco, not paper, they can be sold as filtered cigars. Filtered cigars are also taxed at a much lower rate than cigarettes. There's quite a few $1.50-3.00 packs of filtered cigars for sale around here now. They don't taste very good, IMO. Those Djarum cigars are pretty good, though, but I never had a Djarum cigarette so I can't compare.

Last edited by Ben_P; 08-02-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post
About the convenience store at the Sunoco station, it was like being a kid in a candy shop. The clerk showed me other "exotic" brands that were in stock (including, unbelievably, Djarum Blacks). The pack of Old Golds I got were fresh, so those at least hadn't been on the shelf for too long.

Has anyone else tried Old Golds, either recently or long ago? Or, has anyone seen them where you buy your cigarettes? If you can find them, and have similar tastes to mine, you might want to give them a try.
Were they Djarum cigarettes or cigars? If they were the cigarettes I hope you snatched some up. Those are super rare these days.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for some Old Golds.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough

I can't be absolutely certain, as it didn't look that closely at them, I thought that they were the Djarum Black cigarettes. I was quite surprised to see them, as I knew the importation of them into the U.S. is banned. Some people I spoke to later speculated that they might still be coming into the U.S. from Canada.

Is the pack design of the cigars the same as the cigarettes? I distinctly remember the pack being labeled "Djarum Black." There was a different looking Djarum pack (red and white) next to it -- might those have been the filtered cigars? Perhaps the retailer stocked up on a large cache of them before the law took effect? No, I didn't buy any.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 08-02-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:08 PM

IHCman is on a distinguished road

I can get Old Golds at a local C store. I used to work with a guy 10 years ago that smoked Old Gold lights. He got me to try them back then, but now I smoke the full flavor Old Golds. They were a pretty decent cig back before fsc. Even now they aren't to bad. I find them similar to L&M reds now.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by IHCman View Post
I find them similar to L&M reds now.
I didn't make a connection to L&M Reds ... to me, L&M Reds are very similar to Marlboro Reds. While the strength of the FF Old Gold Filters was about the same as Marlboro Reds, as I already said, the flavor didn't remind me of either Marlboro or L&M. Too bad I never got to try them before FSC!
Old 08-03-2013, 06:51 PM

I can't be absolutely certain, as it didn't look that closely at them, I thought that they were the Djarum Black cigarettes. I was quite surprised to see them, as I knew the importation of them into the U.S. is banned. Some people I spoke to later speculated that they might still be coming into the U.S. from Canada.

Is the pack design of the cigars the same as the cigarettes? I distinctly remember the pack being labeled "Djarum Black." There was a different looking Djarum pack (red and white) next to it -- might those have been the filtered cigars? Perhaps the retailer stocked up on a large cache of them before the law took effect? No, I didn't buy any.
The pack design is the same. The pack size is not. The Djarum Black cigars are 12 per pack. The Djarum Black cigarettes I can find online are 16 per pack. I seem to remember Blacks being 20 per pack, at one time, in those wide packs that have 2 separate foils inside.

The other white pack was probably the Djarum Mild filtered cigars: famous-smoke.com/djarum+mild+filter+10~12+cigars/item+32393

Last edited by Chief Smoker; 08-05-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ben_P View Post
The pack design is the same. The pack size is not. The Djarum Black cigars are 12 per pack. The Djarum Black cigarettes I can find online are 16 per pack. I seem to remember Blacks being 20 per pack, at one time, in those wide packs that have 2 separate foils inside.
I'm pretty sure that the pack I saw looked the same size as a standard 20-cigarette pack. Would that have been the 16 cigarette pack, or the 12 filtered cigar pack?
Old 08-06-2013, 10:15 AM

I'm pretty sure that the pack I saw looked the same size as a standard 20-cigarette pack. Would that have been the 16 cigarette pack, or the 12 filtered cigar pack?
Probably were the cigarettes then. Either left over from before the ban or smuggled in from out of the country. The cigar packs are definitely a little smaller than 20 count cigarette packs.