Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Anyone here run?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 02:44 PM

smookeyguy is on a distinguished road
Cool Anyone here run?

I've only been smoking about 5 years, so I haven't noticed any effects from smoking on my exercise yet. What I'm asking is will smoking eventually affect my breathing to the point where I can't run or is all that stuff about smokers not being able to run just b.s ?

Btw I'm new to this forum.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:45 PM

marlborofan has a spectacular aura aboutmarlborofan has a spectacular aura aboutmarlborofan has a spectacular aura about

Just depends.

Generally speaking smoking will decrease your lung capacity and as such you'll not be able to run as fast/for as long.

You may be lucky though.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

There are a lot of variables. Depends on how many cigarettes you smoke . . . but assuming a pack per day or less, it's going to take a long while, and I mean decades, before you truly notice a change. By that time, age will also have a role in decreased lung capacity. Continued exercise will somewhat counteract the effects of smoking on your lung capacity.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 07-20-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:46 PM

ktb1764 is on a distinguished road

It will definitely take a toll, but it will also take some time. I've been smoking for 35 years, at least 1 1/2 ppd for most of that time. The last marathon I ran was 7 years ago, and I ran a half a couple of years ago. Since that time, I have noticed a more rapid decline in my lung capacity. I doubt I could run a half marathon now. I suspect that running will be a thing of the past not long in the future for me.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:31 AM

marlborofan has a spectacular aura aboutmarlborofan has a spectacular aura aboutmarlborofan has a spectacular aura about

Very true Mask. I was thinking about my own smoking (2-2.5 packs a day) when I posted but if you smoked less than that it would be far less evident for much longer.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:57 AM

Markomarkh is an unknown quantity at this point

I think smokers can keep fit too, I walk, run and have a smoke afterwards to relax muscles. Didn't Arnold terminator guy smoke when he did his body building? At least I saw him in a video once smoking a joint after a work out! I think you can keep fit as long you don't smoke to much, I smoke 5 a day.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:14 PM

smookeyguy is on a distinguished road

I only smoke about a pack a day, sometimes less. I'm sure I'll end up smoking more eventually but I try to limit myself to no more than a pack.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by smookeyguy View Post
I only smoke about a pack a day, sometimes less. I'm sure I'll end up smoking more eventually but I try to limit myself to no more than a pack.

Pack a day is too much, I used to smoke 14 cigs a day, I found I appreciate it more when I cut down to 5 cigs a day, when you smoke too much you build a tolerance more, to me it's more special treat when you space them out in the time of the day.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Different people have their own "comfort levels." Five per day might be just right for you, Marko, but for Soomkeyguy it may well be a pack per day. Smookeyguy: If you stick to a pack a day, you probably won't notice much difference in your physical fitness for 30 or 40 years, and by then age may take a toll just as much as smoking. This month marks 35 years since my first cigarette (though it's not quite 34 years of smoking daily), and my doctor still tells me every time that my heart and lungs sound "perfect." A recent EKG in February confirmed his opinion about my heart. And I've averaged about a pack per day.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 07-21-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:58 PM

The funny thing is my granddad smoked most his life, he was fit as a fiddle until into his 70s then caught lung cancer but still smoked then he dropped dead with water build up in the lungs all of a sudden.