Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » When Were You First Attracted to Smoking?

When Were You First Attracted to Smoking?

View Poll Results: When Were You First Attracted to Smoking?
Under 12 65 40.12%
12 - 14 52 32.10%
15-17 30 18.52%
18-20 8 4.94%
21 or older 7 4.32%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice
Question When Were You First Attracted to Smoking?

I thought it might be interesting to share stories about when we were first attracted to smoking. The question is not asking when you smoked your first cigarette, but when you first started seriously thinking about wanting to start smoking.

For me it was when I was 12, just after having started junior high school. Many of my classmates had already started smoking, and many more did so afterwards, either while still in JHS or while in high school. So I guess it wasn't too surprising that it seemed that I faced a decision about it then, too. After all, this was the 1970s, and smoking was very commonplace, including youth smoking. So it was "on my radar" already.

But what made this more than just simply a possible fork in the road of my life, and created a stronger, increasingly irresistible, attraction for me at that age was that I had a cousin twice my age, who I had always liked, and was starting to admire as a "role model." Of course, he was a smoker, and I wanted to be like him when I got older. I started dreaming about that I was, in fact, older and smoking - usually these dreams included my owning and driving a Chevy Camaro, with a lit cigarette in my hand as it rested on the stick shift. Around the same time a golden opportunity presented itself. One day, in Spring 1977, a 14 yr. old in my school offered me a cigarette! The moment was there, but I was taken aback with surprise since it came out of the blue. What would I do? I was momentarily paralyzed with indecision. I really wanted to accept it, but I noticed too many people around, and so I declined, and almost immediately regretted it (in hindsight, I should have taken it, what did I really have to lose?). That event, or rather that I was sorry that I didn't accept the cigarette, made me more determined than ever that I wanted to start smoking. I also began to deliberately look at cigarette ads in magazines, to familiarize myself with cigarette brands, and fantasized about my future smoking.

I didn't work up the nerve to follow through on that desire until more than a year later, in July 1978. But when I finally bought that first pack of cigarettes, and went to the park to smoke the first one, nearly lightheaded with excitement before I even lit it, I didn't entirely copy my cousin who was the object of my "hero worship." He smoked Marlboro Reds; I chose FF Salem for my first cigarette. And while I dreamed of a Chevy Camaro, he actually drove a '75 Chevy Monte Carlo.

What story do you have to share? Even if you choose not to tell your story, please vote in the poll at the top.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 04-29-2013 at 11:38 PM. Reason: typos
Old 04-29-2013, 12:35 AM

pipesdaddy will become famous soon enough

Thank you for sharing your experience and taste of smoking cigarette..
Old 04-29-2013, 11:33 PM

james.arthur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default at 17

When I got failed in my high school exam and dad sent me to the country.. I started smoking with my youngest uncle.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:05 AM

mdsujaan is an unknown quantity at this point

when my first relation is breakup then i start smoking beside my college field.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Last couple of comments seem to be saying when you started smoking, not when you were first attracted to smoking, which could have been earlier. Are you sure that your "thinking about smoking" and actually "starting smoking" coincided?
Old 06-09-2013, 02:31 PM

Cyberote will become famous soon enoughCyberote will become famous soon enough

Due to the stupid outage, by post was lost, so let's just try to shorten it up a bit.

As a kid, my whole family smoked and I hated it. I couldn't stand the smell at all. I never thought I would pick up a cigarette in my life. Eventually I started smoking at the age of 19. Then my father caught me one day. He wasn't mad or anything. He just told me I didn't need to come outside for a cigarette. Later that day, we sat down and lit up our cigarettes together and I felt a bond with him. That's when I got attracted to smoking.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:50 AM

manders is an unknown quantity at this point

I started romanticizing smoking when I was a kid. I can barely remember as all the men - almost - in our immediate family smoke. Sure, I wanted to be like them and as a kid, they made it look cool.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:03 PM

filter man has a spectacular aura aboutfilter man has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Cyberote View Post
Due to the stupid outage, by post was lost, so let's just try to shorten it up a bit.

As a kid, my whole family smoked and I hated it. I couldn't stand the smell at all. I never thought I would pick up a cigarette in my life. Eventually I started smoking at the age of 19. Then my father caught me one day. He wasn't mad or anything. He just told me I didn't need to come outside for a cigarette. Later that day, we sat down and lit up our cigarettes together and I felt a bond with him. That's when I got attracted to smoking.
Smoking is great for bonding-one of the best icebreakers I know.You'll be surprised how many lifelong mates I have aquired via cigarette sharing introductions.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

manders and filter man:
You might not have noticed, but there is a poll at the top of the page. I could tell that you must have missed it because the number of votes is unchanged. I just figured I'd point it out so that you could go back and vote.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:33 PM

filter man has a spectacular aura aboutfilter man has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Mask-have voted.