Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » When Were You First Attracted to Smoking?

When Were You First Attracted to Smoking?

View Poll Results: When Were You First Attracted to Smoking?
Under 12 65 40.12%
12 - 14 52 32.10%
15-17 30 18.52%
18-20 8 4.94%
21 or older 7 4.32%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2017, 07:06 AM

brandon78 is on a distinguished road

I was around 10 when my fathers smoking started to interest me instead of the repulsion I had always felt. I started thinking of how it would be to smoke myself. I even started dreaming of an older me who was a smoker.
In 6th grade I found out there was a kid who smoked in my class, that is when I really started to get interested in giving smoking a try myself.

The summer before 8th grade the urge to smoke really became unbearable but I was too scared to take one of my fathers packs. One day I was working in the yard when one of our neighbors sons stopped by. He was on leave from the Marines and I thought he looked too cool in his uniform. As we sat there talking he takes out a pack of Reds and lights up. Wow man didn't know you smoked I said, sure do you should try it yourself he said, smoking is the best. This was my opening, well give me a cigarette and I will. Out come his Reds and zippo and that was the first time I lit up.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:14 AM

1999joe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kyle93 View Post
I first got really into the idea of smoking when I was 16, about a year before I started. I had smoked cigarettes a few times at parties and the like during my first couple years of high school but had never really thought about being a smoker, but I started to see smoking as mature and manly the summer after my sophomore year where a friend turned 18 and picked up smoking
This is very similar to how and when I got interested in becoming a smoker only I did not wait a year to actually start smoking regularly because I did so in the summer between my sophomore and junior year. My friend not only picked up smoking just after he turned 18 but also got a badass tattoo. To mee he now was definitely not a kid like me any more.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:06 PM

young_guy_smoking is an unknown quantity at this point

I never really was all that interested in smoking and certainly never saw myself being a smoker but things change as you get older I guess.
I was 15 when a couple of friends and I bought a pack of cigarettes during the summer. Seemed like a cool thing to do and a good idea at the time. I didn't smoke a lot, maybe a couple of cigarettes a week but did sort of enjoy it.
Only when I started smoking regularly about a year later did I realize I really liked to smoke, so became a smoker and have no regrets whatsoever.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:00 PM

jason75401 is an unknown quantity at this point

I started getting interested in smoking when I was in 10th grade. I don't know exactly why but to me smoking started to look like something I might enjoy.
Being the principals son, however, meant I couldn't give it a try.
All through hoghschool I had to be as close to a perfect student as posible.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:50 AM

Boston Alex is an unknown quantity at this point

The summer between my junior and senior year my dad and I went out west, Wyoming to visit my uncle and his family who lives out there. My dad and I went camping with my uncle and two year older cousin. My dad and uncle had been smokers all my life but now my cousin also smoked. Seeing the three of them smoke and the way my uncle and cousin were together made me wish I was a smoker as well. I didn't start during the trip but the tought that smoking might be attractive stuck in my mind. After the summer when shool started again it turned out one of my friends had started smoking.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:05 AM

PallMalllover is on a distinguished road

Nobody in my family smoked, so it was never even a thought until I went to a drag race with a friend of mine. I must have been in 4th or 5th grade. There was a pretty lady by us who was smoking and I thought she looked so beautiful smoking her cigarettes. From that day on I wanted to smoke. I would walk along our road and pick up behalf smoked cigs and take them home and smoke in the barn. I look back and think how disgusting was that. Anyways, I have always been a closet smoker because of family. Just looking for times when I can smoke and not get caught. 55 now and still sneaking. I married a non smoker and am still looking for times to sneak a smoke. Circumstances being different and if I had moved out of state, I am sure I would be a two pack a day smoker. The cravings never leave. If nothing else, I have very good health.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:11 AM

docmarlboro will become famous soon enough

My mom used to smoke and I gave her the hardest time about it trying to get her to quit. Somewhere along the line that changed and I'm not sure why. When I was 12 something came over me and I knew I was going to be a smoker. I started sitting in the bathroom looking at all the cigarette ads in magazines choosing my future brand. I used to practice my inhales and exhales. In December before I turned 13 I was ready to try it. I set an alarm to wake me up in the middle of the night. Got up walked down to the kitchen found my moms cigarettes (now 100s) took it into the laundry room cracked the window and lit up. I freaked out and flushed it and went back to bed. Some time later I had a dream where I was grown, stepped out of a black Camaro with a pack of reds in my pocket and a lit cigarette in my hand. It was destiny calling! I did the same thing with the alarm got up in the middle of the night grabbed a lighter and a smoke and went to the laundry room. I lit up and inhaled. When I finished I flushed the butt, STUMBLED back to my room head spinning laid down and thought "I love smoking". Now I'm happily addicted and am glad I made the decision to start. One of life's top three greatest pleasures.

Last edited by docmarlboro; 07-28-2017 at 05:17 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:23 PM

testos111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by docmarlboro View Post
Now I'm happily addicted and am glad I made the decision to start. One of life's top three greatest pleasures.
Cigarette, sex and...?
Old 07-28-2017, 04:15 PM

docmarlboro will become famous soon enough

Being a dad
Old 07-30-2017, 01:24 AM

Andrew94 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was 16 when one of my friends started smoking, sure I had smoked a cigarette here and there at a party since I started highschool but never thought I would be a smoker.
Out off the blue my friend all of a sudden smokes and to me he looked so mature because of it. Watching him light up as soon as he could made me feel jealous. I wanted to be like that as well.

I didn't start right away but somehow I started see myself as a smoker somewhere down the line.

After a growth spurt I all of a sudden was taller than my dad, close to 6'1" and decided the time was right for me to pick up an adult habit so I bought my first pack and started smoking at 17.

Unlike many here I did not ease into smoking. My first day as a smoker I almost finished the whole pack.