Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » Best cigarette to ease coughing

Best cigarette to ease coughing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 04:34 AM

dajo will become famous soon enoughdajo will become famous soon enough
Default Best cigarette to ease coughing

What regular cigarette brand is the least irritating?

I've been having quite irritating cough for few years now. It tends to be wet cough during the day but irritating drier one at nights. Has any of you noticed the difference between the brands?
I've smoked reds for 30 years and I did not have any problems until recently. Could it be the fact they are now FSC and new chemical ingredients added...? I've been thinking of ordering overseas if there is still some countries they sell non FSC reds?
I've noticed that menthols ease coughing quite well so I've started to smoke menthols alongside regular ones. But I cannot see myself switchin to menthols completely.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:50 AM

CNCMan will become famous soon enoughCNCMan will become famous soon enough

You probably won't like this answer but... if you've had a cough for a couple years that doesn't subside of it's own accord, it's time to seriously consider quitting. Everyone tolerates smoking to different degrees but it sounds like your body is talking to you. Have you ever considered trying e-cigs?
Old 03-16-2013, 11:05 AM

IHCman is on a distinguished road

Smoking certainly does cause smokers cough. But since FSC, I've noticed a worse cough from smoking them. Seems like you can't quite cough up the phelm. Also notice a slight wheeze in my chest at night. Clears up quickly if I smoke non fsc cigs from overseas or strictly RYO cigs.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by IHCman View Post
Smoking certainly does cause smokers cough. But since FSC, I've noticed a worse cough from smoking them. Seems like you can't quite cough up the phelm. Also notice a slight wheeze in my chest at night. Clears up quickly if I smoke non fsc cigs from overseas or strictly RYO cigs.
I'm able cough up the pheglm in the mornings, quite much actually... but it's gets dry at night with moderate wheeze... I read somewhere that ingredients in menthol cigarettes ease the coughing to some point.
I should order FSC cigs overseas but don't quite know where
Old 03-16-2013, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by CNCMan View Post
You probably won't like this answer but... if you've had a cough for a couple years that doesn't subside of it's own accord, it's time to seriously consider quitting. Everyone tolerates smoking to different degrees but it sounds like your body is talking to you. Have you ever considered trying e-cigs?
I really haven't read or heard much about e-cigs... I always thought they're not satisfying... I guess I just have to switch the brand for a while to see if it helps. Since I added menthols few months back to my daily smokes it helped a bit. They also seem to help me breathe easier= the smoke is not as harsh as in reds.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:46 PM

otuser can only hope to improve

If you have been coughing for that long then you really need to see a doctor to make sure it is nothing serious.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:29 PM

potatohead is on a distinguished road

Philip Morris products are so chemical that you will cough.

Try Lucky Strike or Camel. Smoother on the throat.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Dajo,
You're probably not going to want to hear some of what I'm going to say, but here it goes.
otuser is right, you should see a doctor. How long has it been since you've seen one? You are a smoker in your 40s, you should be having a physical examination at least annually. In fact, even a nonsmoker in his 40s should be having an annual physical examination. If you have seen a doctor since this coughing began, did you tell the doctor about it? It is utterly senseless to withhold from your doctor changes or problems in your health -- after all, why do you think you're there? If you've seen a doctor and told him about it, what did he say? If it was nothing other than "quit smoking," then perhaps you need to find a new doctor. While there have been anecdotal reports of a variety of symptoms that people has associated with FSC cigarettes, I think it is more probable that your coughing is a result of your 30 years of heavy smoking finally catching up with you. If it is, that by itself doesn't mean there is anything seriously wrong, but you shouldn't be ignoring it, because what if it is a symptom of something else? The menthols have been helping because menthol has an anesthetizing effect, but that is akin to using a cough drop to cure a cold. It may alleviate the discomfort, but it isn't a cure. I'm not going to tell a man who smokes 3-4 packs per day to consider quitting - it's pointless to suggest what is virtually impossible. But you may need to consider gradually cutting down to half or less as many cigarettes per day.
Now, assuming that you are physically okay, and there isn't a strong reason to cut back, maybe potatohead's suggestion of something smoother on the throat might work. Camel is just as full-flavored as Marlboro, but does smoke smoother (I mean the filtered Camels, switching from Marlboro Reds to anything non-filtered would be like trying to put out a fire with gasoline instead of water). These "new" Newport Reds are unexpectedly mild; too mild for my taste (and probably for yours), but you might get used to it. Or what about Marlboro Medium? It's closer to a Red than a Light, but isn't as harsh as a Red.
By the way, you've been smoking Philippine-made Marlboro Reds? They would be non-FSC. Has your coughing abated since you got them? If not, then I don't think that your problem is just from FSC.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 04-27-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:17 PM

sammy7 is an unknown quantity at this point

WELL they do satisfy me
Old 04-29-2013, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post
Dajo,
You're probably not going to want to hear some of what I'm going to say, but here it goes.
otuser is right, you should see a doctor. How long has it been since you've seen one? You are a smoker in your 40s, you should be having a physical examination at least annually. In fact, even a nonsmoker in his 40s should be having an annual physical examination. If you have seen a doctor since this coughing began, did you tell the doctor about it? It is utterly senseless to withhold from your doctor changes or problems in your health -- after all, why do you think you're there? If you've seen a doctor and told him about it, what did he say? If it was nothing other than "quit smoking," then perhaps you need to find a new doctor. While there have been anecdotal reports of a variety of symptoms that people has associated with FSC cigarettes, I think it is more probable that your coughing is a result of your 30 years of heavy smoking finally catching up with you. If it is, that by itself doesn't mean there is anything seriously wrong, but you shouldn't be ignoring it, because what if it is a symptom of something else? The menthols have been helping because menthol has an anesthetizing effect, but that is akin to using a cough drop to cure a cold. It may alleviate the discomfort, but it isn't a cure. I'm not going to tell a man who smokes 3-4 packs per day to consider quitting - it's pointless to suggest what is virtually impossible. But you may need to consider gradually cutting down to half or less as many cigarettes per day.
Now, assuming that you are physically okay, and there isn't a strong reason to cut back, maybe potatohead's suggestion of something smoother on the throat might work. Camel is just as full-flavored as Marlboro, but does smoke smoother (I mean the filtered Camels, switching from Marlboro Reds to anything non-filtered would be like trying to put out a fire with gasoline instead of water). These "new" Newport Reds are unexpectedly mild; too mild for my taste (and probably for yours), but you might get used to it. Or what about Marlboro Medium? It's closer to a Red than a Light, but isn't as harsh as a Red.
By the way, you've been smoking Philippine-made Marlboro Reds? They would be non-FSC. Has your coughing abated since you got them? If not, then I don't think that your problem is just from FSC.
Hmmm... Doctors... haven't seen one since 2010 when I had 4 bad bronchitis during the winter. My doctor asked then how much do I smoke, I lied him a bit and said 2 ppd. He advised me to quit immediately since he was hearing some weird sound coming from lungs while examing them. I was trying to cut back, it was imposible. For few months I only smoked Marlboro lights, they were OK I just had drag them more than reds.
After weeks on medication the situation with my breathing and coughin got better, went back smoking about 4ppd. And "forgot" I ever visited one.

The thing is I don't trust doctors, they just try to take your money by descriping expensive medicines and give shallow advise.

My uncle who is 75, smoker for 59 years said that probably the cause of the heavy cough and trouble breathing is due to switchin brands all time. He advised me to stick to one brand that my body and lungs are already used to. Well to me that makes sense in a way. I decided take it easy on trying out different brands and just smoke reds ( philipine ones ) + marb menthols.

I already stopped smoking Camel N/F's , the cigs I usually smoke about a pack at nights. I want see if it's those Nf's that irritates my lungs too much.

Thank you very much for suggesting Camel filters, I might give them a try after my lungs have cleared out a bit.

I would not see myself as a light smoker, they're OK but even if I drag them really hard I don't get a same satisfaction as from regular ones.

Thanks for all the tips and advise. It is always a pleasure to hear opinion from fellow smokers

More opinions welcomed!

Dajo