Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

First time-ish smoker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 01:21 AM

pilotjones is on a distinguished road
Default First time-ish smoker

Hello everyone. I just started smoking about two weeks ago. Started smoking after drinking too much one night. I have a few questions though, as I still am kind of unsure of all of this. I'm gonna try and keep it to 4-5 cigarettes a day, but once again, have a few questions.

When I'm smoking, I'm not sure if I'm swallowing mid-inhale. Sounds stupid, sure. I never do physically swallow, but when I burp afterwards (say 15 minutes later) I can taste the cigarette. Along with that, I have this kind of disposition during certain times in the day where thinking about a cigarette will make me sick to my stomach, but I end up smoking anyways. It does sound stupid I know, but I'm not sure if I'm inhaling correctly.

Lastly, does the buzz/lightheadedness/relaxation of a cigarette go away after a few a day? Today I smoked more than I normally do, as it was a stressful day. At about the 4th of the day, I wasn't really feeling anything at all from the nicotine.

I know I sound new, and really, I am, but if I'm only smoking such a small amount a day, I might as well enjoy it. Sorry for being new hahaha.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Russian Smoker

Hello, pilotjones.
What cigarette brand do you prefer?
Old 10-26-2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Russian Smoker View Post
Hello, pilotjones.
What cigarette brand do you prefer?
I've been smoking marb smooths since I've started.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:17 AM

marlborofan has a spectacular aura aboutmarlborofan has a spectacular aura aboutmarlborofan has a spectacular aura about

Are you trying to swallow the smoke when you inhale?

You should open your mouth and just breathe in as you normally would and you can't go wrong really.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by marlborofan View Post
Are you trying to swallow the smoke when you inhale?

You should open your mouth and just breathe in as you normally would and you can't go wrong really.
I'm not, but the fact that I'm burping up the taste of smoke is unsettling. I know I don't physically swallow it but I don't feel it hitting my lungs like everyone says it feels like, which is also a reason I think I may be doing it wrong.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:25 AM

marlborofan has a spectacular aura aboutmarlborofan has a spectacular aura aboutmarlborofan has a spectacular aura about

It doesn't always hurt your lungs, especially with lights.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:31 AM

Not so much hurting as actually feeling it in my lungs. Like I said, I'm only worried because I'm spending so much on a pack and since I don't smoke extremely often, I would like to enjoy the few I am smoking.

Should I be tasting it in my burps? Sorry I'm probably coming off as a weird guy haha, it's pretty embarrassing.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Chief Smoker will become famous soon enough

You should definitely not taste smoke in your burps - I've smoked for 30 years and never once tasted it like that. Perhaps you not exhaling completely?
Old 10-26-2012, 11:50 AM

Yes that's what I'd say.

I've been smoking for 43 years and never had that either.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by Chief Smoker View Post
You should definitely not taste smoke in your burps - I've smoked for 30 years and never once tasted it like that. Perhaps you not exhaling completely?
I was thinking the same thing. After drawing on the cigarette, inhale air through your mouth or your nose as you would when breathing normally, which will draw the smoke from your mouth into your lungs. Then, exhale the smoke through your mouth as completely as possible. Perhaps a little remaining smoke may be exhaled through your nostrils as well after exhaling through the mouth. Most cigarette smokers will hold the smoke in their lungs a couple of seconds before exhaling. Do not try to do so as long as possible, as if you were holding your breath when swimming underwater! If that is what you've been doing, it might be the reason for what you are experiencing.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 06-10-2013 at 06:49 AM. Reason: correction