Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What made you start?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 03:27 PM

CamelMan324 is on a distinguished road
Default What made you start?

Hey guys, I was just wondering what made you guys decide to start smoking in the first place? I guess my reason I started was mainly because of my folks at home, my parents were smokers and alot of people in my family smoked, so I guess I just kind of got sucked in by my friends and family

Last edited by CamelMan324; 01-04-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

cooljay788 is on a distinguished road

Even though my mother smoked, I guess a combo of curiosity and hanging around sexy chicks who smoked in school is what motivated me to start as a smoker myself. I also liked the glamourous image cigs were portrayed as in cig ads on mags back then. But Joe Camel didn't encourage me to start. A blonde friend named Crystal (who smoked Newports) from eighth grade is what motivated me to try it for myself at 13.

I didn't become an everyday smoker til I was 19 though. I didn't have the privilege of a parent who bought Newports for me, and I'm an only child. I ended up bumming cigs from time to time while in high school. I actually stopped smoking at 15 since I couldn't get "cig money" for myself.

But when I started working in college at 19, that's when I became an everyday smoker. The first pack I bought was Newports of course for only $2.90. And when I started again, I was inhaling the smoke a lot more deeper than I was as a smoker in my early teens. I enjoyed it a lot more, and it was love at first sight.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:38 PM

Rodwy is on a distinguished road

My parents are smokers although they always tell me about how bad it is. I was curious and had friends that smoke. My curiosity got the best of me.

I first tried when I was was 17 and didn't know that my friends were smokers until a couple months later, having them around just made it easier for me to keep doing it until I turned 18 and could then buy myself my own cigs.

I'm still a 1-5 cig a day smoker though.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:35 AM

pLanetZ is on a distinguished road

Two things: My friends and my curiousity.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:32 AM

Eddie H is on a distinguished road
My parents smoking all the time and people in my age group got me started. Mostly my parents though. My father said he would not forbid me from doing it. Even after he quit, he did not forbid me and I got hooked. My mom still smokes. My dad went 22 years w/o it. His example didn't stop me though. He still died from heart disease but it was blamed on his sedentary lifestyle and not from smoking previously.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:27 PM

smkreds is on a distinguished road

Curiosity and my friends got me to smoke. All cool people smoked.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:01 PM

Smylex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Smylex

My mom smoked and when I watched Schindler's List Liam Nieson looked so damn cool doing it I just had to try it.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:01 PM

seesolo is on a distinguished road

i started smoking when during my sophmore year of highschool, i actually smoked weed 6 months before and i only started to smoke to boost my high, and menthols were great hen i was faded, so icey
Old 08-09-2009, 03:29 PM

luckylucius is on a distinguished road

What made me try to smoke for the first time was a mix of smoke fetish, never-satisfied-curiosity and that thing that I would look cool if I smoked. It was at the age of 21. I had tried those oriental water pipes when I was 19 with some friends, just for curiosity and it was fine.
What made me start smoking for serious was the pleasure I obtained from smoking. I don't regret it, though I wouldn't like to be an addicted. It was this year, at the age of 23, that I decided to be a "serious smoker".
Old 08-14-2009, 09:49 PM

laskos is on a distinguished road

Easy one. The army. Thats when i started. You cant get through it without smoking something!. Period. Might as well be cigarettes. At least here in greece. Back in my time.