Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What made you start?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2021, 12:29 AM

Marbs4ever will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by oldsmoker2 View Post
The same with me. I thought I would cough my head of. OMG was I surprised at how easy inhaling the smoke was and how good it felt to have cigarette smoke in my lungs. And when I felt the nicotine hit my brain, it too felt just wonderful.

Cigarette smoking was really great and felt just wonderful. I decided then and there I was going to be a cigarette smoker.
I guess 12+ years of mom and dad's 2nd hand and a few months of puffin had me primed.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:14 AM

erin_nicole will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tahnee A View Post
Parents smoked, but, it's was more my friends, who gave me the slight nudge to try it and I figured why not, can't be that bad and it wasn't.
Exactly same with me.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:06 PM

Edwardm is an unknown quantity at this point

Nothing made me start. I wanted to start. I was introduced to smoking by friends and liked it....a lot. Was set up to like it by smoking parents.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:31 AM

Chris Tremlett is on a distinguished road

I was the shy science nerd in highschool, thick glasses and as a 6í3Ē skinny guy with a ponytail at 16 not one of the popular guys. My twin brother, Mitch, although just as tall was the total opposite outgoing, 200 lbs of muscle, no glasses and oh so popular. The summer before 10th grade both of us got a job at a resort in the Catskills and shared a room. On day Mitch got back to the room and before taking a shower emptied his pockets, wallet, gum, can of dip, lighter and a pack of cigarettes. I knew he dipped but the smoking was new to me. Somehow it triggered something in my brain and the same evening I also bought a pack of cigarettes and started smoking.
Old 02-07-2021, 04:12 PM

Monica R will become famous soon enough

I was walking home with some friends in high school and one of my friends pulled out a pack of Newports that she stole from her mother and asked us if we wanted to try one. I was reluctant, but, I figured why not, this can't hurt and she lit it for me and handed it to me and gave me some advice and I tried and I coughed, felt nauseous and really lighted headed and despite this, I liked the buzz from it and thought, not too bad and I wanted to try another one.

Did this for a couple of months and then I finally reached the point of, I want to do this more often and told one of my friends to buy me a pack and she did and ever since that point, I've been smoking.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:30 AM

Billy Joe is on a distinguished road

Growing up in the 60ís and 70ís smoking was just part of life, everyone seemed to smoke. One by one my older cousin also started smoking which nobody seemed to mind. I clearly remember Thanksgiving 1977 when I found out my cousin Heather who was actually almost a year younger than me now also smoked. In the car going back home my mom said something about it to my dad, yes dear she is a little young but I was even younger when my father gave me my first pack, heck I have been smoking since I was in 6th grade.
Well that was it, I was going to start smoking soon. A couple of days later I pulled a pack of Salems out off the cigarette machine at a pizza place near our house and that was it.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:03 PM

Marbs4ever will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Billy Joe View Post
Growing up in the 60ís and 70ís smoking was just part of life, everyone seemed to smoke. One by one my older cousin also started smoking which nobody seemed to mind. I clearly remember Thanksgiving 1977 when I found out my cousin Heather who was actually almost a year younger than me now also smoked. In the car going back home my mom said something about it to my dad, yes dear she is a little young but I was even younger when my father gave me my first pack, heck I have been smoking since I was in 6th grade.
Well that was it, I was going to start smoking soon. A couple of days later I pulled a pack of Salems out off the cigarette machine at a pizza place near our house and that was it.
Yes, growing up in the 60ís and 70ís and even through the 80's, smoking was just part of life, everyone did seem to smoke. Looking at your profile it seems you were about 15 in 1977. So, definitely at the upper end of the range most of us first tried it in those days. From what I recall, those of us with smoking parents were less inhibited about it and generally tried it by 12 or 13. By jr, high many of us smoked daily, either with or without our parent's knowledge. Those without smoking parents and who ere less able to "get away with it" seemed to start a year or 2 later.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:06 AM

Billy Joe is on a distinguished road

I might not have been all that young starting at 15 but still was the first in my group of friends to start. Sure there were a lot of kids who smoked in my class but I guess I wasnít ready yet.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:25 AM

Nils is on a distinguished road

My parents are smokers as is just about everybody in my extended family. One by one I saw my cousins become smokers and just knew I would be one pretty soon now. I was 13 when I took a couple of my dadís Camel Filters just to try. I was not really impressed by smoking. OK I probably only puffed on my first cigarettes but still. There was enough draw for me to keep on taking cigarettes from either my dadís Camels or my momís Peter Stuyvesants. I started inhaling and smoking became a lot better, the smoke in my lungs weird, the instant boner embarrassing but hey I guess it was all part of the experience.
About two months after my first cigarette, I bought my first pack from a vending machine outside a tobacconists. Marlboro Reds because I liked the ads, I was ready to come to Marlboro Country.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:31 AM

Jenn Nital is on a distinguished road

My dad smokes, my mom used to smoke, she passed away 5 years ago, and my older brother smokes. In my senior year in highschool all of a sudden I had the urge to try smoking myself. My dad and brother both smoke Marlboro Lights, my mom used to smoke Marlboro Lights Menthol 100ís and as a tribute to her they were the first pack I bought. The first couple of days I would smoke 2 or 3 cigarettes, they were not bad but nothing special either. The next weekend my brother came home to visit from his college, he was a freshman, and I noticed he was smoking a lot more now. I said something about it and he just said, yeah I know at least a pack and a half now but it feels great. And you little sister how are you doing, missing me yet. I told him all was well and that I was experimenting with smoking. You shouldnít do that you know or youíll end up just as addicted as I am, heck three years ago a pack would last me a week and look at me now. Oh that wonít happen to me I said, I just smoke a couple a day or so. Donít tell me I didnít warn you he said. Of course he was righ as I now smoke about a pack a day.