Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What made you start?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2018, 10:41 AM

mentholmomx2 is on a distinguished road

I had been curious about smoking for years. Both my parents quit when I was young (5 or so) and became big antis (although my dad started back up when I was 18). The summer before my senior year in college, I was in Paris for a study abroad program. Since I was in a place where no one knew me, and smoking was fairly common, I bought a pack of Marlboro Lights and a lighter, brought them back to my dorm room (we were allowed to smoke), and lit up. They tasted disgusting at first and it took me a couple days/cigs to try and inhale. That first nicotine high was amazing and made me love smoking.

That was 20 years ago. I quit when I came back to the US, started again a year later (switching to VS Menthols), and have been smoking on and off since then. My most recent lapse came after three years of not smoking.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:26 AM

ClayfromGA is an unknown quantity at this point

As a good Southern boy, my addiction to tobacco started when I took a pinch out of my dadís can of Cope at 10 and I was soon doing it regularly, pinching cans whenever I could. When I was 12 my dad took me to Altanta to see the Braves play the Yankees. His can was on the dash and he must have seen me staring at it, go ahead Clay, I know you want to. As I packed my lip he ruffled my hair and said thats my boy. As we were getting out off the car he grabbed a new can out of the log of Grizz WG in his door and gave it to me.
My dad not only dips but is also a smoker and by now I was no stranger to Reds anymore either, didnít smoke regularly but a couple of cigarettes a week at least.
My dad would slip out to have a cigarette a couple of times and I started to feel like having a cigarette but didnít want to push my luck. After the game as we were waiting in the parking lot to get out, my dad was leaning against the truck and happily smoking. He dropped his pack and I bent to pick it up, donít tell me you also smoke Clay, my dad said. Well not really only once in a while I said as I handed him his pack. What the hell he said but didnít offer me a cigarette.
I did start smoking more and more and by the time I was 14 my dad told me it was okay to smoke at home.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:24 PM

Jj1998 is on a distinguished road

Originally. Drunkeness. It seemed like a funny thing to do when I was blasted. I only did it occasionally when I was too drunk to tell you if I even enjoyed it though. But then I quit drinking a few months ago, so by default I stopped smoking as well, and after I'd been sober a couple of months I found myself fancying a smoke, and toying with the idea of sinking a bottle of wine, just so I'd have an excuse to cadge a fag. But I didn't want to start drinking again, so rather than doing that I screwed up my nerve and asked a friend at work for one sober. It blew my head off and made me feel sick after a few drags, but I enjoyed it up till then much more than I'd enjoyed drunk smoking so I kept doing it on and off. Now I'm smoking about half a pack every day and I love it.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:01 PM

Marbrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I was definitely influenced by the ads when I was a kid. From around the age of 9/10 I noticed them in my parents' glossy magazines and was fascinated by them. Started smoking Benson and Hedges Gold,at 12, then Dunhills, then Marlboro when they became more availabe in the UK.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:46 PM

Chance is an unknown quantity at this point

Simple answer my one year older brother started smoking at 17 and I was wondering why the hell he wanted to do it. We were raised by two anti parents and he was on the wrestling team , a real jock, so it just didnít seem right.
I had to find out for myself and a through the grapevine I found out were you could buy cigarettes without being carded and bought myself a pack. Knowing absolutely nothing about brands there was only one I recognized and I asked for Marlboros, box or soft pack the guy said, help I thought, um soft pack please and I walked out with a pack of Marlboro Reds. back in my car I opened the pack and lit up for the first time and was surprised. Although I did not inhale smoking was kind of pleasant. I could get used to this.
Used to it I quickly got and I donít know exactly when but I had started inhaling and when my brother found out I also was smoking now he was pretty much surprised to see me smoking Reds. Those are pretty serious cigarettes bro he said, well I like them, what are you smoking then, Camel Blues he said.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:00 AM

smokerwdc is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd always been incredibly attracted to men who smoked for as long as I can remember and thought it was kind of strange. Growing up in the 80s, there were lots of smokers around me, despite the fact that no one in my immediate family smoked. I loved the smell of cigarettes and liked to be in smoky rooms. I was fascinated by magazine ads and knew the different brands well. I tried smoking when I was 12 but didn't start regularly buying cigarettes till I was 14. By the time I was in high school and working part-time, I was pretty much hooked and knew that I loved smoking even more than I thought I would. I guess I was just one of those kids who was destined to be a smoker. 32 years later at age 44, I love it more than ever and am glad to share that on this site.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:19 PM

Hassan is an unknown quantity at this point

My father smokes and my two older brothers smoke but untill I started smoking I always said I would never smoke.
I was 17 when my three best friends who had been smoking since we were 15 convinced me I really should also start smoking. So here I was, the guy who would never smoke happily giving smoking a try and to my big surprise I liked it bought my first pack on day one.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:54 AM

puffpuffpuff is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
I tried smoking a few times as a teenager, but was an athlete in high school through college so I never got into it. Seeing attractive women light up and smoke always intrigued me and turned me on, so that is what sparked my interest to give it a try. Once I was out of college, married, etc., I would buy a pack once in awhile (always all-white, 100s or 120s) and light up on occasion. Because I was married to a staunch anti-smoker for too long, I didn't take up smoking beyond a once-in-a-blue-moon activity. After being divorced a few years, and having a girlfriend who tried smoking and now loves it, I light up almost daily (usually with her), but maintain a healthy/active lifestyle otherwise (I'm a regular at the gym, bike, kayak, sports, etc.). Smoking is my main vice and having a girlfriend that smokes makes the experience that much better. My girlfriend started smoking because she was intrigued and turned on by me smoking, even though she had never lit up a cigarette before we began dating. Now she smokes daily.
my wife started in a similar fashion; she was intrigued and curious about what i 'got out of' smoking and asked to try one of my marlboro reds one day...within a couple weeks, she was a regular smoker and enjoying every puff of smoke.

i started for similar reasons i guess, when i was 11 i would constantly be bathed in my mother and two older sisters' cigarette smoke. i was in a constant haze of second hand smoke and believe me, my sisters and mother all huffed down their cigarettes like chimneys! they were literal smokestacks, almost never without a cigarette between their fingers or lips, just constantly breathing nothing but wretched cigarette smoke from their nostrils. they looked like fire-breathing dragons, lol! my god, i can't overstate how they literally breathed nothing but cigarette smoke day and night and after hating it for a long time as a child i soon became curious and decided to try one for myself at age 11. i had no trouble inhaling as i had literally breathed nothing but my sis' and mom's cigarette smoke since as long as i could remember. i immediately 'got' why they smoked and my mom had no problem with me starting up. she basically got my sisters started anyways. i'm so glad to pass on the tradition of family smoking to my own wife and daughters now. it's blissful to inhale our cigarettes together as a family after dinner every night. it is wonderful to smoke!
Old 11-05-2018, 12:01 PM

Kevv is an unknown quantity at this point

My parents smoke as do most of my other relatives so smoking was just part of life for me. The Christmas I was 15 the family came to our house to celebrate and to my big surprise the cousin closest to my age, Leonard who is only a couple of months older, now was also smoking. I heard my uncle say to my father yes he is young but what do you expect coming from this family it wonít be long before Kev is smoking as well. Later when my cousin and I were in my room doing stuff on the I-pad, I asked how long he was smoking already, oh since the summer he said. Cool man, do you really like it. Yeah it is even better than I thought it would be especially now I can smoke whenever I want and donít have to sneak around anymore. I already smoke like half a pack a day. Cool I said, so your parents donít mind that you smoke, nah dad thinks it is pretty cool I smoke the same brand he did at my age and mom even buys me cigarettes once in a while. You try it yet he asked, nah but I will soon I said. He takes out his pack and says you wanna try now. I donít have to think twice, hell yeah I say. As he gives me a light he says you might have to cough at first but that is normal, I did also in the beginning. He lights up and inhales and I follow his lead, no coughing for me but feeling the smoke inside me kind of freaks me out and half way through the cigarette I get pretty light headed but manage to finish the whole cigarette. Wow man no coughing you sure this was your first ever cigarette, Iím impressed it took me two days before I could smoke without coughing. I smoke a couple more that day and it feels good. The next day watching my parents smoke makes me want to smoke myself and I manage to take a couple of cigarettes from my moms pack and smoking them feels good.
That evening as I am getting ready for bed my dad comes into my room and says Kevin we need to talk. Whoa, Kevin not Kev this must be serious, whatís wrong dad I say. Nothing is wrong son he says, you saw at Christmas that Leonard now smokes and I was wondering if you might also have started smoking as you are about the same age and I saw you watching your mother and me all day when we lit up. I wonít be mad at you if you smoke but just want you to be honest, no sneaking around and no stealing cigarettes from us, okay.
He takes out his pack, lights up and looks me in the eyes, thought so he says and that was it I was a smoker now.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:53 AM

GS748 will become famous soon enough

My older sister got me started. Smoked for about 30 years, then quit about 5 years ago. About 6 months ago, after a particularly stressful day at work, I decided I needed a cigarette. Thought I would buy a pack, get it out of my system, then go back to being a non smoker. Wrong! After that first hit, the first thing that came to mind was I forgot how nice this is. In short, in les than 2 weeks, I was back to my pack a day of Marlboro Reds, and have no intention of quitting again. Happily addicted and plan on staying that way.