Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What made you start?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

I suppose I'm something of an exception. Nobody in my immediate family smoked, not my parents or older sister, though there were many smokers in my extended family, on both sides. So, what got me started?

Although back in the 1970s youth smoking was almost the rule, rather than the exception, I don't believe I started because "everyone else was doing it." Admittedly, I had some curiosity, but the choice was mine, so peers didn't have much of an influence. If anything, I was an eccentric kid who never went along with the crowd!

As for print advertising (TV commercials for cigarettes were already banned), I think that mainly informed me as to what the brands were and the tar/nicotine yields, and possibly the "image" associated with certain brands, but I don't think that had much of an influence on the choice to take up smoking (though, on second thought, maybe the "image" presented in the ads might have had an influence - it was too many years ago to remember vividly). Funny thing was that I deliberately chose the brands that were highest in tar and nicotine; if I was going to smoke anyway, I might as well smoke the "real stuff."

So, if I had to single out a particular reason or influence, I would have to say that it may have been "hero worship." I had a cousin, 13 years older than me, who I liked and admired, and wanted to be just like him when I got older. Of course, he was a smoker (Marlboro Reds, by the way). The only exception was that when I started experimenting with smoking, I started out with menthols.

Anyway, tried my first cigarette in 1978 (I got a pack of Salems from a vending machine), and spent about fifteen months "experimenting." In 1979, right after turning 15, I became a regular smoker (then, I was favoring Newports). Two years later made the switch of regular non-menthol cigarettes (mostly Winstons and Marlboros) and never turned back.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 04-24-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:01 PM

JerryRister is on a distinguished road

There is no particular reason for it but i just gave a try and from that day i am still smoking
Old 03-06-2013, 08:56 AM

menthol94 is on a distinguished road

I started because I have a friend who lives with me that smokes. My job is also very stressful and I wanted some sort of release. I also wanted to know what the big deal about them was.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:55 PM

ktb1764 is on a distinguished road

I had a gf in high school who smoked - probably 1/2 ppd. Long story short, I ended up starting, I guess, to impress her. We only dated for about 3 months, but by that time I had increased my smoking to about 1/2 ppd. I honestly figured that I could quit any time, but after we broke up, I tried to stop but I couldn't. Over the next couple of months, I gave quitting a couple of more tries, with the same result. Pretty much gave in then, accepting the fact that I was a smoker. Parents weren't too pissed off - they allowed me to smoke outside at home and also in the smoking section at school (remember those?). At that point, I got up to a ppd pretty quickly since I didn't have to hide anything and could smoke all day long.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:05 AM

VS120forlife will become famous soon enough

I started at 14. Saw my mother smoke, thought it was cool and started. Once she caught me I had been smoking for 2 months. She let me smoke and the rest is history. Been smoking for 22 years, love smoking and will never quit.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:39 AM

Stig is an unknown quantity at this point

I am from Sweden where many boys start using snus and I tried it but hated it. My parents are both smokers and they seemed to like it so at 14 I gave it a try and now 10 years later am a two pack a day smoker and love it.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:54 PM

reds4kev is on a distinguished road

My curiosity mainly and the fact my older brother started smoking, I just had to find out for myself what was so great about smoking.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:29 AM

newby is on a distinguished road

My parents are smokers and that always bothered me. I was the kid that always nagged them to quit. My older brother started smoking when he was 17 and I told him he was an idiot for doing so. Until six months ago I was just about the biggest anti around.
My brother and his wife came to stay with me for two weeks and watching them step out for a smoke and having a great time made me feel left out so I started to join them and one night me brother started teasing me that he would make a man out off me before he went home. What do you mean I said, well real men smoke he said, I don't know what exactly changed but the two of us were still sitting outside after his wife went to bed and as he lit up and jokingly held his lit cigarette in front of me I took it out off his hand and before I realized what I was doing started to smoke it and it felt great. That night I joined him a couple of more times and before he left for home I carried my own pack. I don't really know why I started but so far love it.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:43 PM

wbealsd is just really nicewbealsd is just really nicewbealsd is just really nicewbealsd is just really nice

With my Dad a smoker and in the tobacco business, it would probably be odd if I HADN'T taken up smoking. My choice to keep at it, though. I quit for a year about 30 years ago, missed it and started back up again.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:15 PM

Gwen_C is on a distinguished road

I grew up in a smoking household and both of my parents smoked in the house, so I was very accustomed to the aroma from a very young age. Because practically everyone around me smoked I was always very curious about it and although I had dragged on some of my parents extinguished cigarette butts before and liked the taste, I had never actually lit one. So when I was 13 and a friend offered me a cigarette, I jumped at the chance. The rest, as they say, is history.