Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What made you start?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2017, 04:26 PM

Pim is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought my first pack at 13 from a vending machine and liked the idea of smoke more than the actual smoking. At 14 I started smoking RYO as a lot of kids do in Holland as it is a lot cheaper Samson was my brand for the next 2 years. Stil not all that sure if I really enjoyed smoking but liked it well enough to buy tobacco quite regularly. At 16 I fell in love with a girl who was pretty impressed that I smoked. The first time I went over to her house she told her mom she needed an ashtray for her room, Pim smokes you know. Well if girls think smoking is cool I better start smoking regularly. Well after smoking for over 3 years I probably was already pretty hooked but I was ready to establish a habit now and went from smoking maybe 30 a week to at least 10-15 a day in no time.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:13 PM

Elias is an unknown quantity at this point

Most of the crowd I was hanging out with at highschool smoked and I kind of got sucked in. I liked it from the start and didnít really have to get used to it as if I was meant to be smoking.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:21 AM

Ohiokyle2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought smoking looked cool and enjoyable and wanted to see if it really was. At first I had a hard time, it was not as easy to smoke as I thought but I liked it well enough to continue. I am smoking about a pack in two days now and enjoy everything about it.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:10 PM

lazurm66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Curiosity, etc.

Was curious.

Last edited by lazurm66; 01-08-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:08 PM

Jerimiah is an unknown quantity at this point

The summer I was 14 a couple of friends and I, all three of us had smoking parents and one also an older sister who smoked, thought it was a good idea to start smoking. We managed to buy ourselves a pack of Marlboro Reds and that was it. At first we shared the pack only smoking when we were together but by the third or forth week we all carried our own packs already.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:48 PM

Andy1087 is an unknown quantity at this point

For me starting to smoke was because I always enjoy seeing a lady smoking, they always looked like their cigarette was very enjoyable to smoke. I was conflicted in a way as people said how nasty smoking was yet they seemed to enjoy smoking. So decided to try and found out I did like it. Both my parents smoked too so I was used being around smoking lead me to try smoking.

Andrew
Old 12-07-2017, 05:13 AM

GS748 will become famous soon enough

My older sister started smoking when she was 16. I always admired everything about her, and wanted to be like her. I was 4 years younger, and asked her if she would teach me to smoke.

She said, ďsureĒ. You have to remember, this was in the late 1950ís and early 1960ís when smoking was not only considered to be cool, but relatively safe. Long story short, she taught me how to do the snap inhale and French inhale, which were very cool, not to mention sexy.

We are still both smokers and very close. We still talk about how she got me started and about the fact that both of us still enjoy smoking very much and have no plans to quit. I would not encourage any non smoker to start, but neither would I encourage anyone who really enjoys smoking as I do to quit.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:53 AM

CharlesSmokes is an unknown quantity at this point

When I went to junior high in 1988 there were quite a few kids who smoked and I started wonderering if I would like it. My parents smoked and seemed to like it. After one of my friends started smoking I really got interested and when I asked him what was so good about smoking he said everything and gave me a cigarette and said see for yourself. I didnít really think it was all that great but of course told him I loved it. As his parents bought him cigarettes and he always had enough, he would regularly give me cigarettes and the more I smoked the more I liked it. Didnít smoke every day but enough to build up a habit and started taking cigarettes from my parents packs from time to time.
My father caught me lighting up one day when I was 15 and reluctantly gave me permission to smoke at home. Although they were not happy I smoked, as smokers themselves my parents realized it was futile to tell me I couldnít smoke.
In the late 80ís it really wasnít that big a deal for teens to be smoking and once I started smoking daily I quickly was smoking close to a pack a day.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:02 PM

SmokinSam is on a distinguished road

I grew up with my dad and he was always smoking in the house. One day when I was 15, my great aunt gave me a pack of cigarettes she got as a free promotion sample from the drug store and asked me to give them to my dad, whom she knew smoked (I remember the brand was called Triumph). I never gave them to my dad and wound up trying one as my first cigarette. I liked it a lot and went on to split the whole pack with a buddy of mine over the course of about 2 weeks. After we ran out, I wound up stealing Marlboro Reds from my dad's boxes when he was asleep or inattentive. One day, I summoned enough nerve to visit the head shop down the street and buy my first pack. This was NYC around 1979 and they sold cigarettes to teens, but I was nervous and tried acting all cool. As I walked out of the store, I lit up and felt a real rush walking home with a cigarette in my hand. I remember thinking: "this feels right and I'm definitely going to be a smoker." I felt I could smoke at any time because my dad did and the house always smelled of smoke. But one day, my dad caught me in my room with a lit cigarette when I thought he was out. He was disappointed in me but soon allowed me to smoke in the house. I have smoked Marlboro Reds ever since and now enjoy them with my own 16-year-old son.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:28 PM

Ryan1991 is on a distinguished road

Both parents smoked - started by smoking half smoked parents cigarettes after they had parties - before they got up - became more regular later