Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What made you start?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2017, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by macewan View Post
In 1975 when I started smoking at age 15 it was just something you did. The first of my friends had already started in 6th grade. By the time I started most of my friends already smoked. I guess the fact that neither one of my parents smoked was the reason I was later than the others in starting.
I started smoking Winstons as their ads appealed to me.
I started smoking daily at age 15 in 1979 (but my first cigarette was in 1978, while I was still 13). More than a few of my classmates started in 7th grade, but many more by 9th and 10th grades. Neither of my parents smoked either, and full-flavor Winston was my primary brand for 15 years (that was after smoking Newports regularly for almost 2 years).

Last edited by masklofumanto; 03-13-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:48 AM

macewan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post
I started smoking daily at age 15 in 1979 (but my first cigarette was in 1978, while I was still 13). More than a few of my classmates started in 7th grade, but many more by 9th and 10th grades. Neither of my parents smoked either, and full-flavor Winston was my primary brand for 15 years (that was after smoking Newports regularly for almost 2 years).
Yeah, teenage smoking was pretty normal in the 70's. My friend who started smoking in 6th grade was even given his first cigarette by his father.
I smoked Winston full-flavors for about 5 years, changing to Winston Lights mainly because I liked the look of the gold packs but also because my parents were always telling me how bad smoking was and the ads promised the same taste and lower tar and I managed to convince them that they were a much healthier smoke. Smoked them fur about 8 years before switching to Marlboro Reds which I smoke to this day.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:19 AM

1999joe is an unknown quantity at this point

I started smoking regularly the summer between my sophomore and junior year basically to boost my confidence. To me smokers looked a lot more mature, picking up smoking in my eyes meant leaving childhood behind and stepping into adulthood.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:30 PM

jason75401 is an unknown quantity at this point

When I went away to college I decided to reinvent myself as I wanted to shed the good boy image once and for all. I had already been interested in smoking since 10th grade and about 5 minutes after my parents left after dropping me off, I went to the 7-11 near campus to buy cigarettes. There was a special price for a duo pack and I decided to buy it. Marlboro Lights they were and I was so excited opening my pack and taking a cigarette and lighting up. I was surprised by the sensation of smoking but also kind of liked it. I loved the way it made me feel. I smoked about 5 cigarettes the first day. During all the introduction activities I noticed other kids taking breaks to smoke and quickly followed suit.
The smoke breaks were really great, I started talking to the other smokers and formed some of my first friendships right that week. As nobody knew me here I didn't feel self conscious about lighting up in front of others either.
I was surprised how fast I had to go back to the 7-11 to buy more cigarettes as I had already run out. This time I decided to buy two duo packs.
My roommate told me about the third day that he had never pegged me as a smoker which somehow made me feel good.

By the time I went home for Thanksgiving, I already smoked about 15 cigarettes a day. Of course I had to hide my smoking from my parents and during this break I found out the meaning of cravings for the first time.

I had told myself that smoking was something I would do while I was in college and would quit after I graduated.

When graduation came I found excuses not to quit and by now realize I probably won't quit in the foreseeable future as I enjoy it too much.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:16 PM

george.faran is an unknown quantity at this point

In the early 80's when I went to junior high most people seemed to smoke. At school I saw kids in my class smoking already. So about a month after starting junior high I decided at the ripe old age of 13 to start smoking. No peer pressure involved as I was the first amongst my group of friends to start smoking. On my way home from school I bought my first pack, Salems, a friends father who was a cop smoked them and I really looked up to him. My parents smoked Winston Lights and I really wanted to smoke something cooler.
The first year I didn't smoke regularly but did buy packs once in a while.
In 8th grade as more of my friends also started smoking, I started smoking regularly.
Was caught by my parents a couple of times and was told to quit because I was too young. George you can smoke once you are 16 my mom told me.
Of course I never quit and by the time I was 16 smoked a pack a day already. On my 16th birthday after receiving my gifts and having breakfast, I took out my pack and lit up in front of my parents for the first time. Nothing was said and I am pretty sure they knew I had never quit smoking.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by george.faran View Post
In the early 80's when I went to junior high most people seemed to smoke. At school I saw kids in my class smoking already. So about a month after starting junior high I decided at the ripe old age of 13 to start smoking. No peer pressure involved as I was the first amongst my group of friends to start smoking. On my way home from school I bought my first pack, Salems, a friends father who was a cop smoked them and I really looked up to him. My parents smoked Winston Lights and I really wanted to smoke something cooler.
The first year I didn't smoke regularly but did buy packs once in a while.
In 8th grade as more of my friends also started smoking, I started smoking regularly.
Was caught by my parents a couple of times and was told to quit because I was too young. George you can smoke once you are 16 my mom told me.
Of course I never quit and by the time I was 16 smoked a pack a day already. On my 16th birthday after receiving my gifts and having breakfast, I took out my pack and lit up in front of my parents for the first time. Nothing was said and I am pretty sure they knew I had never quit smoking.
It wasn't much different in the late seventies either. In junior high some started in 7th grade, a few more in 8th and 9th grades, and many going into 10th grade (our high school was grades 10-12, btw). Most who were going to start did so by 11th grade, by which time most had turned 16, which was "legal age" in our state back then.

I smoked my first cigarette in the summer between 8th and 9th grades, and it was a pack of Salems that I bought myself. Why I chose Salem? I thought that a menthol cigarette would taste better and they models in the Salem ads at the time looked cool, like how I imagined my future self when I would be older. I also smoked intermittently until a couple days after turning 15, when I committed to smoking daily. I didn't smoke in front of my parents (both non-smokers) until I was 17, but my parents, or at least my mother, suspected that I was smoking well before then, so I should've come into the open with them at least a year sooner, or even as soon I had started smoking daily. I doubt the outcome would have been any different. Instead it was two years of "don't ask, don't tell."

My parents never did have a talk with me about smoking; not a surprise, as they never had a talk with me about sex either ... and sex ed in school wasn't until 12th grade. For that matter, the one quarter per school year when we had health class for phys. ed. didn't bring up smoking until one single class in 11th grade, and consisted mainly of a "secret ballot" poll of the class. The dangers of drugs, however, was handled in health class back in 7th grade. That was what most adults worried about back then. If they found out a teen was smoking cigarettes, the reaction was almost one of relief, that at least it's not drugs! For example, if you got caught smoking inside the school (such as in the restroom), the punishment was detention for one day (I don't know if it was harsher for repeat offenses). Outdoors on school grounds there was no attempt to stop student smoking at all. And in high school, student smokers would smoke outdoors when changing for classes every period. I probably smoked more while I was at high school, oddly enough, than when I wasn't at school!

Last edited by masklofumanto; 03-17-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:39 AM

It wasn't much different in the late seventies either. In junior high some started in 7th grade, a few more in 8th and 9th grades, and many going into 10th grade (our high school was grades 10-12, btw). Most who were going to start did so by 11th grade
Yes the same in my junior high, I was one of those who started in 7th grade, a couple of friends started in 8th, more friends started in 9th grade and the last of my friends who started smoking in 10th grade. He had promised his parents not to smoke until he went to high school and like yours ours was grades 10-12 .
There was a smoking section on the high school grounds and even a smoking section in the cafeteria.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:12 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by george.faran View Post
Yes the same in my junior high, I was one of those who started in 7th grade, a couple of friends started in 8th, more friends started in 9th grade and the last of my friends who started smoking in 10th grade. He had promised his parents not to smoke until he went to high school and like yours ours was grades 10-12 .
There was a smoking section on the high school grounds and even a smoking section in the cafeteria.
Our high school had a semicircular outdoor area that was only accessed through the cafeteria. When my older sister was in high school that was a designated student smoking area (technically you had to be 16, but I'm sure nobody checked). When I got to high school, it was no longer "officially" a smoking area, but you could get away with discreetly smoking there.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:35 AM

Our high school had a semicircular outdoor area that was only accessed through the cafeteria. When my older sister was in high school that was a designated student smoking area (technically you had to be 16, but I'm sure nobody checked). When I got to high school, it was no longer "officially" a smoking area, but you could get away with discreetly smoking there.
My younger brother who was two years behind me told me they got rid of the smoking section in the cafeteria the year after I graduated and the official smoking section on the grounds in his senior year. They still let us smoke there but the ashtray had gone he said.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:39 AM

My parents never had a talk with me about smoking either, only after they caught me smoking as a 14 year old did they lay down the 16 year rule.
I only started noticing the Salem ads after I had started smoking and could easily identify myself with the masculinity of their models.