Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parents that smoke:

View Poll Results: Do parents that smoke influence their children to become smokers?
If yes, why? 52 75.36%
If no, why? 14 20.29%
Are sons influenced more by their father or mother? 17 24.64%
Are daughters influenced more by their father or mother? 2 2.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 11:59 PM

PallMallMan2 is on a distinguished road
Talking Parents that smoke:

Are children whose parent(s) smoke more likely to pick up the habit of smoking?

Last edited by PallMallMan2; 12-29-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:24 AM

kingskools23 is on a distinguished road
Default 18

if your kids are over 18 i would let them smoke cuz at that age they can make there own chooses but thats just me i dont know
Old 11-29-2011, 03:58 PM

kingskools23 is on a distinguished road
Default anytime

i give good advice on things like that one thing i am good at doing lol
Old 11-29-2011, 09:58 PM

the iron horse will become famous soon enoughthe iron horse will become famous soon enough

We have two sons.

Age 32 and 28.

They are both nonsmokers.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:48 PM

motleydan1 is on a distinguished road

I know my 14 yr old daughter hates it as well as my 8 yr old son.I will strongly discourage them from smoking.Its not a good thing to do but I enjoy it.Once they are 18 it will be their choice.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:36 PM

StoneMonkey is on a distinguished road

I don't really think so overall. I think peers are more likely to have an influence on starting to smoke as most kids, when they become teens, think their parents are lame and dull and so would be unlikely to want to mimic the parents behavior.

I dated someone who smoked and started lighting his and then went on to become a smoker myself. Don't think my parents, who were both smokers, had much of any influence as to my starting to smoke. I have brothers and sisters who smoke and one brother had 4 kids ( 2 girls and 2 boys ) but only one of his children became a smoker. Another brother had 3 sons, only one who smokes. I had a sister who smoked ( and so did her husband ) and only one of their daughters ( out of 2 sons and a duaghter she had ) ever smoked. I have another sister who smokes and had two sons, neiher of whom have ever smoked. ( All of the "children" mentioned above are now adults, btw )

I had two sons, and unforunately, both of them now smoke and have since they were around 16 ( snuck and smoked then, but admitted to it when they turned 18 ). However, both of them never told me they hated the way their clothes smelled while growing up and hated that I smoked, until just recently. Both of them say my smoking had no influence on either of them starting to smoke themselves. They both say that peer pressure ( many of their freinds snuck and smoked in high school ) and a desire to experiment with anything "adult" and to look and seem "with it" and cool was what led them both to start smoking.

My older son was diagnosed with ODD ( Oppositional Defiance Disorder ) which makes one likely to rebel and do anything they are told they can't or shouldn't. He feels it's part of his make-up and starting to smoke was just another manifestation of the syndrome.

Last edited by StoneMonkey; 12-13-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:28 PM

RTW65 will become famous soon enough
Default Parents & Smoking

Parents smoking raises the curiousity in kids because they know the parents are enjoying smoking and they want to know why.

Sons are influenced by the fathers, as a rule. I was influenced by both parents and my older brother.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:34 AM

gunther is on a distinguished road

Growing up with two parents who smoke made me think it was something you did when you grow up so I definitely was influenced by their smoking. When my older brother started smoking I really got interested in trying it myself and I think that if he had not become a smoker it probably would have taken longer before I lit my first cigarette.

My father was much more of a rolemodel than my mother. When I started smoking I tried to take deep inhales and do nosejets just like he did.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:27 AM

marlborophil is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by motleydan1 View Post
I know my 14 yr old daughter hates it as well as my 8 yr old son.I will strongly discourage them from smoking.Its not a good thing to do but I enjoy it.Once they are 18 it will be their choice.
I myself was not influenced by my father's smoking when I picked up the habit at 15. Peer pressure and curiosity made me start. Seeing friends start smoking and feeling left out made me curious why anybody would start smoking eventhough you know it is bad for you.
So one day I took the plunge and at first I hated smoking but because my friends seemed to like it I continued and as we all know addiction does the rest and soon I learned to love smoking.

I have two sons who unfortunately also smoke. Both of them started around the same age I did, sneaking around at first but when I caught my oldest in the act at 18 the youngest then 16 also admitted he smoked. They are 23 and 21 now and when I asked them why they had started they both said the same thing, because other guys smoked and it looked really cool. My smoking had nothing to do with it. They both admitted that my smoking did facilitate their growing addiction as it was easy for them to get cigarettes, they just " borrowed" packs from my cartons.

Last edited by marlborophil; 08-13-2014 at 06:41 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 08-13-2014, 06:39 AM

redjohn is on a distinguished road

I definitely was influenced by the fact that my parents and siblings smoked and couldn't wait to start myself wich I did at 12

Only one of my children smokes and that is my youngest son, who always was the most vocal anti. When I asked him what made him start smoking, he said the fact that quite a few of his friends smoked made him curious.
That you smoke a lot did not help me make the decision but made it easier to hide when I snuck a cigarette in my room he said. You also got me cigarettes when I ran out off them as you always have open packs lying around in your truck and I just took them.

Last edited by redjohn; 08-13-2014 at 06:44 AM.