Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parents that smoke:

View Poll Results: Do parents that smoke influence their children to become smokers?
If yes, why? 52 75.36%
If no, why? 14 20.29%
Are sons influenced more by their father or mother? 17 24.64%
Are daughters influenced more by their father or mother? 2 2.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2017, 08:30 AM

matthewsmokesreds is an unknown quantity at this point

In my case definitely influenced by my parents smoking. Both were and still are smokers so to me smoking was something completely normal. As they both seemed to enjoy it, I wanted to be like them.
My dad is the heavier smoker of the two and I wanted to be just like him so when I started I took one of his packs.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:55 AM
Banned

Samaritan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by matthewsmokesreds View Post
In my case definitely influenced by my parents smoking. Both were and still are smokers so to me smoking was something completely normal. As they both seemed to enjoy it, I wanted to be like them.
My dad is the heavier smoker of the two and I wanted to be just like him so when I started I took one of his packs.
Did your parents smoke around you, or more even so, in your room before you started on your own?
Old 02-22-2017, 11:28 PM

StatisticsJason is a jewel in the roughStatisticsJason is a jewel in the roughStatisticsJason is a jewel in the rough

I have read many research studies on this subject. Smoking fathers are more likely to produce smoking sons and smoking mother's are more likely to produce smoking daughters. It's the same sex parent that is a role model. The opposite sex parent has little or no influence on their children starting smoking.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:47 PM

1999joe is an unknown quantity at this point

The fact that my father is a smoker certainly made it easier for me to pick up smoking myself. He clearly enjoyed it and as I always looked up to him as a kid it kind of made sense to me to smoke like he did.
When he found out I was smoking, he wasn't mad at me for doing so but also told me I shouldn't have started. He didn't allow me to smoke in the house but did put an ashtray in the garage for me to use. When just the two of us were in the car together he allowed me to smoke. When I joined him and his golf buddies soon after he busted me, as he lit up he offered me a cigarette and said what can I say, Joe is a chip of the old block.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:02 AM

Txcowboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I was raised largely by my dad and he was and is a smoker. I always thought it looked so cool the way he would light up a cigarette and let the smoke come out his nose or how he could dangle the cigarette in his mouth and talk with smoke coming out. When he would take me to school in the morning he always lit up and then started the car as the cigarette hung loosely from his lips. My dad had the most amazing exhales and as a kid it was hypnotic to watch breath after breath of smoke come out of his mouth and nose. In the sunlight he might have exhaled 7 or 8 times! I knew early on that I wanted to be just like him and I was certain that I could make smoking look as cool and macho as he did. For me, the image of a man smoking is what I wanted to be like as an adult, and although most of the world disagrees with my opinion, I still think it looks cool as hell to be able to have a cigarette in my mouth and smoke coming out my nose.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:32 PM

JoŽl Karsten is an unknown quantity at this point

I am pretty sure that because my parents are smokers, smoking to me was part of growing up. Even before I actually started, I could see myself smoking and knew which brand I would be smoking.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:15 AM

Beth74 has a spectacular aura aboutBeth74 has a spectacular aura aboutBeth74 has a spectacular aura about
Default This is true in my case

Originally Posted by StatisticsJason View Post
I have read many research studies on this subject. Smoking fathers are more likely to produce smoking sons and smoking mother's are more likely to produce smoking daughters. It's the same sex parent that is a role model. The opposite sex parent has little or no influence on their children starting smoking.
I'm a smoking mother who has smoked in front of both my teenage children most of their lives. My daughter is 16 and started smoking when she was 14. My son who is now 14 shows no interest in smoking. My husband also smokes but much lighter than me - maybe 5 a day compared to my 1.5-2 packs. My daughter started by sneaking my cigarettes, and while she smokes a different brand now I have to admit it's a bonding experience for us. When we stand outside a restaurant or store together each having a cigarette and getting glares from other customers it makes her realize (for a moment at least) I'm not all bad. Plus I can hold buying her cigarettes over her head to get her to do chores...
Old 08-14-2017, 11:37 AM

Vanessa94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Totally agree, Beth!

Originally Posted by Beth74 View Post
I'm a smoking mother who has smoked in front of both my teenage children most of their lives. My daughter is 16 and started smoking when she was 14. My son who is now 14 shows no interest in smoking. My husband also smokes but much lighter than me - maybe 5 a day compared to my 1.5-2 packs. My daughter started by sneaking my cigarettes, and while she smokes a different brand now I have to admit it's a bonding experience for us. When we stand outside a restaurant or store together each having a cigarette and getting glares from other customers it makes her realize (for a moment at least) I'm not all bad. Plus I can hold buying her cigarettes over her head to get her to do chores...
I dont have kids of my own yet but my husband has a 14 yo girl who lives with us. She's a smoker for quite a while now, started on her own sneaking cigs from her dad now and then. He didnt notice but for me it didnt take too long to find out. We had a great talk about it and decided to let her smoke and I totally agree: Smoking together has been a bonding experiences which helped that she doesnt see me as the "bad stepmom" but rather as a friend.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:01 AM

RQDonaldson76 is an unknown quantity at this point

My dad was and still is a smoker and I am a real fathers boy so his smoking certainly contributed to me starting to smoke.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:29 PM

Ivar is an unknown quantity at this point

My parents donít smoke and I still became a smoker, of the three friends that are smokers only one has a parent, mother, that smokes.