Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » When you're with other smokers

When you're with other smokers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2021, 01:39 AM

ThatSmokerJason is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When you're with other smokers

Do you feel the need to keep up with them? Say you're out drinking with some friends and one of them lights up, do you join them right away, even if you're not craving one yet or do you wait for a craving to hit?

I remember when I came to terms with me being a smoker and I'd go out, I'd light up whenever someone else did, kinda to prove that I was a smoker. I think those nights definitely helped in increasing my daily intake.

Nowadays, I feel people are the ones lighting up whenever I light up. Trying to stay up to par with me.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:45 AM

Late starter is on a distinguished road

Yes Jason, to see someone smoke definitely triggers me to light up myself. And as heavy smokers I think we both have seen the same change. Where 6 years ago I would follow the example of someone else, now it is almost always the other way around. It happened when I ended up with a social smoking flatmate during the first Covid episode, did not take too long for him to discover the pleasure of smoking first thing in the morning, and when I now meet someone for a coffee to go or drink in the park, I see the same thing, I have a positive influence on the more hesitant smokers...
Old 04-05-2021, 06:34 AM

badger0101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not yet had that privilege this time round, hopefully with one of my co workers when we get back to the office.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:38 AM

CandiR has a spectacular aura aboutCandiR has a spectacular aura aboutCandiR has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ThatSmokerJason View Post
Do you feel the need to keep up with them? Say you're out drinking with some friends and one of them lights up, do you join them right away, even if you're not craving one yet or do you wait for a craving to hit?
I don't think it's a conscious thing for me, but if I'm around other smokers, I do smoke more.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:02 PM

Jack2900 will become famous soon enough

Seeing others smoke is a instant trigger. When my wife lights up I light up and when I light up my wife lights up.
Old 04-06-2021, 04:32 AM

Bryan337 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a heavy smoker, so being around other smokers doesn't have much of an effect on how much I smoke. But I agree that seeing others smoking is definitely a trigger for most smokers to light up more frequently. For some reason it is almost impossible for most smokers to see someone else smoking and not have an urge to light up themselves.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:03 AM

Ralf is on a distinguished road

Definitely but it is not a conscious thing, seeing people light up makes me do the same.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:59 PM

Smokerlad is an unknown quantity at this point

Seeing someone spark up or smelling smoke is a massive trigger for me to spark up even if I’ve just had one
Old 04-12-2021, 03:51 PM

Eimer is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yes, I might have just crushed out my previous smoke but when somebody near me lights up I automatically also reach for my cigarettes and light one.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:22 PM

Girl smoking lover is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes me to when im around others smoker i light up when other light up, its unconcius and smoking its a social things to, make me talk to others smoker at my work , and im thiking that if i wont be a smoker i dont even talk much with them that i am now .