Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » Doctor published blog saying smoking does NOT cause lung cancer

Doctor published blog saying smoking does NOT cause lung cancer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2020, 10:55 AM

mm63221 will become famous soon enough
Default Doctor published blog saying smoking does NOT cause lung cancer

Found this doing some research and found it interesting.

https://www.inspire.com/groups/american-lung-association-lung-cancer-survivors/discussion/smoking-does-not-cause-lung-cancer/?origin=freshen

The doctor said that in his medical opinion, that smoking does not cause lung cancer(only a risk factor). I read through the article and it made sense. Sure, smoking is not the best thing to do to your lungs, but society has demonized it so bad and that they claim 2nd hand smoke is dangerous(which it isn't)

My mother CHAIN smoked back in the early 60s while pregnant with me and again 3 yrs later with my brother. She never stopped smoking, whether pregnant or not. And her doctor never advised her to quit. We were born with no issues at all--healthy growing young boys.

Now that I'm older(57) and hopefully a bit wiser, I look at life a bit differently than I did in my 20s. I think life is for living and for enjoying. I'm not advocating self destructive lifestyle or anything, but (for me anyways), I think everyone should enjoy the life they have here. Personally, I would rather have a couple years shaved off my life and enjoy smoking than being miserable not smoking and gaining the extra 2 yrs.

From research I've done, it's evident that genetics plays a big part of it as well. I've known people who've chainsmoked their whole lives and died in their 90s from old age, but otherwise healthy lungs and all, while I've known people who never smoked, die of lung cancer in their 30s.

It was refreshing to read the article I posted the link to. The doctor certainly didn't advise smoking, but he said that society as a whole has jumped the gun in claiming it's always the cause of poor health, disease, etc.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:16 PM

NeedACleverName is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting and fits my thinking. Look at other countries with high smoking rates yet low incidences of smoking related disease
Old 06-19-2020, 08:37 PM

jmurray01 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's what I've been saying for years!

Smoking is a scapegoat for cancer, heart attacks, strokes and just about any other disease/illness/condition.

Obviously inhaling smoke into your lungs isn't good for you, neither is swallowing alcohol or eating fatty foods, but they are risks we take to enjoy life and quite frankly driving your car is probably more dangerous than any of those!!

I believe in smoking, drinking and eating deep fried foods. BUT I do watch my weight and always take a daily walk to keep myself somewhat physically fit.

It all comes down to luck at the end of the day, some people smoke like chimneys and drink like fish into their 90s and die of natural causes, yet some non-smokers and tee total people die from a heart attack aged 40.

Every night I go to bed I ask God to protect me and every morning I thank him for giving me another day on this earth. I think that's all any of us can do.