Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What are FSC Cigarettes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2009, 07:57 PM

Sally is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up What are FSC Cigarettes?

The question is what are FSC Cigarettes and why are they on my cigarettes?

Most people think that FSC stands for Fire Safe Cigarettes. When in fact there is no such thing as a fire safe cigarette. The true meaning of FSC means Fire Standard Compliant.

It all started with the state of New York complaining that many people were dying in house fires due to cigarette smokers. The story is that the state of New York contacted NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) and then the NFPA contacted one of the largest cigarette manufactures Philip Morris Inc (the maker of Marlboro’s) and asked if they could make something that would cause fewer fires when smoking a cigarette. So the FSC cigarette was created and the first ones sold in the state of New York.

Philip Morris Inc decided to help the NFPA contact the rest of the states and invite them to do the same thing claiming these FSC could save more lives. Some claim that Philip Morris Inc is trying to monopolize the cigarette industry.

Now about 18 states have the fsc cigarette laws in effect being New York the leader of the states in 2004. Most of the other states will follow by the end of 2009 and the first month of year 2010. There are a handful of states that have not even filed in legislation yet on the matter of fsc cigarettes.

How do they make FSC Cigarettes?
The simplistic answer to that question is this. The Coalition for Fire-Safe Cigarettes, organized by National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), is calling for manufacturers to produce and market only cigarettes that adhere to an established fire safety performance standard, and is working to see that this standard is required in every state in the country.
A FSC cigarette has a reduced propensity to burn when left unattended. The most common fire-safe technology used by cigarette manufacturers is to wrap cigarettes with two or three thin bands of less-porous paper that act as “speed bumps” to slow down a burning cigarette. If a FSC cigarette is left unattended, the burning tobacco will reach one of these speed bumps and self-extinguish. There is no evidence that reduced ignition propensity cigarettes are any more harmful to health but there is no testing that can prove they are not more harmful to your health.
Many smokers have found that FSC cigarettes taste terrible, make them cough, give them headaches and some refuse to smoke them. Other smokers claim there is no difference and cause them no ill effects.
Can we stop FSC Cigarettes?
There are many people and originations trying to stop the FSC cigarettes. One really good web site is the Repeal FSC Cigarette Law found at [url]www.thepetitionsite.com/1/repeal-fire-safe-cigarette-laws[/url]
People that do not like the new FSC cigarettes are encouraged to sign their petition to congress asking to get rid of FSC cigarettes for good.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:36 PM

smilin is on a distinguished road

how many chemicals are used to make the cigarette paper fire retardant? I can tell you one thing for sure, it changes the taste of my marlboro lights and it certainly makes it harder to smoke my cigarette!
Old 03-21-2009, 07:53 AM

Thumbs up Answer to What is in FSC Cigarettes

I am no expert by any means but from the studies I have done I have found the following information on what is in so called fire-safe-cigarettes.

A fire-safe cigarette, also called "reduced ignition propensity" (RIP) cigarette has a reduced propensity to burn when left unattended. The most common fire-safe technology used by cigarette manufacturers is to wrap cigarettes with two or three thin bands of less-porous paper that act as "speed bumps". Fire safe cigarettes are made by adding bands of EVA (ethylene vinyl acetate) to the cigarette paper during manufacturing, in order to decrease burn rate at the bands. The combustion toxicity of EVA has not been studied to any extent, but combustion byproducts are known to include carbon monoxide and "unknown hydrocarbons".

Fire safe cigarettes have two layers of paper with %u201Cspeed bumps%u201D mixed with higher levels of chemicals than regular cigarettes. Such FSC cigarettes will burn out within one minute if the cigarette is not inhaled. The Citizens Against Fire Safe Cigarettes appeal to State/Commonwealth governments to review the facts and repeal the FSC laws. Failure to do so will result in increased health costs and deaths. If not repealed, the CAFSC will seek legal recourse through the judicial system and State Superior Courts. If necessary, the appeal will be made to the Supreme Court of the United States.

According to Citizens Against Fire Safe Cigarettes (CAFSC)

Author: David Jaromnak

Identified Hazards

1) Cigarette company literature and health officials have identified %u201Clight%u201D cigarettes as no less dangerous than regular cigarettes. Such light cigarettes contain equal amounts of carbon monoxide. The affect and harm of cigarette smoke varies depending upon the smoker%u2019s habit of taking longer, deeper and more frequent puffs on the cigarette. This is a widely accepted fact. Fire Safe Cigarettes require that a smoker inhale in less than one minute or the cigarette will extinguish itself. The need to keep a FSC cigarette burning increases the number of inhales per cigarette, and thus increases the amount of tar, nicotine and carbon monoxide intake into the smoker%u2019s lungs. The result is more health-risk damage to the smoker.

2) The Fire Safe Cigarette design has resulted in more frequent ash, which may fall and ignite more fires than regular cigarettes.

3) Having to relight cigarettes increases the potential for more fire related accidents with matches and lighters.

4) The added and higher level chemicals contained in FSC cigarettes has proven to be more toxic than regular cigarettes and cause increased health related problems for smokers. Symptoms/conditions include, but are not limited to: Nausea, Sores in mouth and throat, Dry throat, constant headaches, extreme coughing, tightness in the chest, vomiting, body aches, pain in the abdomen and respiratory conditions including asthma and bronchitis.

a. The Harvard School of Health reported that when comparing NY Cigarettes (FSC) versus Regular Cigarettes, the FSC cigarettes produced 13.9% more Naphthalene and 11.4% more carbon monoxide than regular cigarettes.[1] Naphthalene is commonly found in moth balls, and exposure in high amounts can result in %u201CSymptoms of acute exposure include headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, malaise, confusion, anemia, jaundice, convulsions, and coma.%u201D[2] Therefore, it has been proven that FSC cigarettes contain higher levels of chemicals that are harmful to smokers.

b. Phillip Morris USA has reported that the Adhesive ethylene vinyl acetate and polyvinyl acetate are used in the non-tobacco ingredients of cigarettes produced as a Side-seam adhesive. However, Phillip Morris USA fails to distinguish the differences in levels between regular and FSC cigarettes. The amount does not exceed .6 % combined.[3] Since additional layers of paper are used in FSC cigarettes, more adhesive is needed in the form of ethylene vinyl acetate.

Safe smoking habits of responsible adults prevent fatalities from burning cigarettes. It is up to individuals to responsibly extinguish cigarettes. The creation of FSC cigarettes has created numerous hazards which cause more fatalities and problems than the small amount of lives saved from fires with the FSC cigarettes in use. Not only are the FSC cigarettes unsafe to smokers, it presents health problems and increases the damage of cigarettes. Due to inadequate testing by Cigarette Companies and government agencies, the FSC cigarette poses real and identified dangers to the smoking public. Therefore, the FSC laws are detrimental to the public good and must be repealed immediately.

I hope this has helped to answer some of your questions.

Last edited by cooljay788; 03-21-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

cooljay788 is on a distinguished road

The only thing I deleted in your post was the URL. As you can see (if you saw the URL you attempted to post), URL's do not turn into links on this board. And as far as I know URL's are still not allowed on here period for ANY site.

However, copying info from a site is allowed on here. You know, posting articles, messages from smokers on the petition site, etc?
Old 03-24-2009, 01:09 AM
Entry Member

maryann26 is on a distinguished road

I am glad you shared this information Sally, I really apreciated it.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:21 AM

Talking Responce

Well thank you maryann I appreciate your kind words of encouragment.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:15 AM

Tobacco will become famous soon enough

When I visited at your site I viewed that the FSC cigarettes produced 13.9% more Naphthalene and 11.4% more carbon monoxide than regular cigarettes. it has been proven that FSC cigarettes contain higher levels of chemicals that are harmful to smokers.
Thanks to give us this informative information.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:39 PM

the iron horse will become famous soon enoughthe iron horse will become famous soon enough

A bit off topic here, but how many of you miss those
strike anywhere matches?
Old 04-11-2013, 01:20 AM

pipesdaddy will become famous soon enough

Thank you sharing this information, i like this
Old 04-24-2013, 02:43 AM

jrjim is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by smilin View Post
how many chemicals are used to make the cigarette paper fire retardant? I can tell you one thing for sure, it changes the taste of my marlboro lights and it certainly makes it harder to smoke my cigarette!
I couldn't agree more. Well this FSC is an innovative idea but my worry just like smilin is that the chemicals that cigarette smokers have to inhale due to the cigarette's fire-retardant properties is causing an alarm on my part.

Last edited by jrjim; 04-24-2013 at 03:33 AM.