View Single Post
Old 12-30-2019, 02:11 AM

Guynextdoor will become famous soon enough

I think when activities are made taboo, they become more appealing to younger people. As we place more age restrictions and expectations on when someone should be allowed to do something they will often become curious as to why it is prohibited. We allow our kids to drink soda spiked with caffeine and nobody bats an eye, because it's not taboo to consume such items in most social structures.

If we think of how the United States places substances in a taboo category we realize why our country has so much crime. In other cultures, having a glass or wine or beer at dinner with your parents isn't a big deal, but in the US it is considered child abuse. How many people can say their first drink was when they were 21 years or older? By making it taboo, sets an appeal to try such things. The same can be said for sex, drugs, or other delinquent behaviors. I think being open and honest with our children is really how we can prepare them to be responsible adults. I would be delusional to assume that my son would never try drugs, alcohol, or have sexual relations before he is an adult. But by being honest and open and removing the element of taboo, I know if such opportunity arises he would be educated enough to know the consequences and benefits of exploring those vices without becoming a deviant toward them or putting himself in a dangerous situation like driving drunk without knowing how alcohol would affect him.

Everyone parents differently and any parent who thinks they are doing a perfect job is the one who is probably failing the most. If we think about what our parents did versus how we would raise our children we find that parenting is a practice that is never perfect and only by exploring different ways to parent do we discover what is right for our own children.

I would rather give my son a cigarette at the age of ten than have him get into trouble by exploring those curiosities in an unsafe environment. It isn't about being a good dad or being a cool dad, it just about being a dad. If you're there for your kids when they want to learn about something, the lessons you teach them will remain with them to rely on when those taboo opportunities come about and you are not there.