View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 11:45 PM

IronicChef is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by PallMalllover View Post
I came from a large family and nobody smoked in my family. I am married to a non-smoker also. I became fascinated with smoking at a young age when I saw a woman smoking when I went to a race with a friend of mine. I started sneaking smokes at age 10 and am still a closet smoker in mid life who only smokes when I have a day or weekend away from the family. Those times are few and far between. Anyone else come from a completely non-smoking family or is a closet smoker?
Your story sounds a lot like mine - I grew up in a non-smoking house but was fascinated with smoking for as long as I could remember. I had my first at age 8, and was a closet smoker, like you, for years. At age 35 I started smoking regularly and came out to pretty much everyone. Honestly, it wasn't that big of a deal, and it makes smoking so much more pleasurable. No one else in my family smokes and I rarely smoke around them because it's usually limited to short visits or meeting for dinner somewhere.

Unlike you, my wife knew I was a closet smoker, even though I thought I was hiding it pretty well. She didn't like it much when I became a regular smoker, but we're divorced now and I'm happier than I've ever been.