View Single Post
Old 05-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

cooljay788 is on a distinguished road
Default E-cigs might get banned (info)

Here's some info I read online about e-cigs possibly getting banned. I wouldn't be surprised if they DO get banned one day. Antis might argue e-cigs are loopholes to people who wanna smoke inside under smoking bans.

UPDATE : Tobacco Treatment Organization Writes FDA and Issues Press Release to Promote Ban on Electronic Cigarettes
5/15/2009
I want to commend Dr. John Hughes and Matt Bars of ATTUD for their prompt and gracious response to my previous commentary about the failed disclosure of ATTUD's conflict of interest in its letter to the FDA requesting a ban on electronic cigarettes. They responded immediately and accepted responsibility for the failed disclosure and also decided to send an addendum letter to the FDA noting the conflict of interest. This is as much as I could ask for, and so I appreciate their response (I have included their responses below).
--------------------

My thanks to Dr. Hughes and Mr. Bars for their acceptance of responsibility for the failed disclosure of the conflict of interest, and for their willingness to write this addendum to the FDA disclosing the conflicts of interest.
I want to be clear that I was not suggesting that the failed disclosure was done intentionally to try to hide the information (it is readily available on the ATTUD web site), but nonetheless, I do think it's important to disclose.
I think that ironically, by going ahead and disclosing the conflicts of interest, it actually helps to ensure that the evaluation of the letter is based on its substance, because it avoids the attention focusing on the failed disclosure and ensures that the focus is on the substance of the arguments offered.
So I very much appreciate Dr. Hughes' and Mr. Bars' response to this issue, despite a disagreement on the underlying issue.

It will be interesting to see how the FDA handles this issue. It brings the debate over harm reduction to a head over a very real and present situation, rather than any hypothetical ones that have been debated in the past.
Michael Siegel, MD, MPH
Professor