Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Lucky Cigarette?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2008, 05:30 PM

CamelMan324 is on a distinguished road
Default Lucky Cigarette?

Hey guys, I know some of you may not know what I'm talking about, but I've met quite a few smokers who do this and I was wondering why they do. Does anybody here do this thing where you make like a "lucky cigarette" in your pack of cigs? It's like where you flip one of your cigs upside down and leave the rest right side up. I've tried googling it but all I get is results for "Lucky Strike cigarettes". I really don't understand why some people do this, I guess maybe it's to remind them that they need to go buy a new pack or something, but I just really don't know for sure.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Chief Smoker is on a distinguished road
Default Lucky Cigarette

Yeah, I used to know a couple of chicks who did it back in college. It's for those 'horoscope' and 'psychic' girls... I always played a long
Old 11-27-2008, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Chief Smoker View Post
Yeah, I used to know a couple of chicks who did it back in college. It's for those 'horoscope' and 'psychic' girls... I always played a long
Yeah, and also like they have this rule where like the lucky cig has to be smoked last or something. Like, if you smoke the lucky cig before you smoke any of the other cigs in the pack- then like that's some sort of bad luck. I also think maybe it's like an excuse not to give your last smoke away, like if someone bums a smoke off you and you only have that one that's upside down, u can say "I can't give you this one, this is my lucky"
Old 12-02-2008, 12:18 AM

oh wow, thank you guys for the feedback on this, 1 reply and 32 views, shows how much progress this forum is making.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:22 PM

fullflava is on a distinguished road

i don't know where the tradition stems from, but they say you smoke the one turned upside down last and it is your "lucky" cigarette...but that is an interesting question, i wonder too from where it originated!?! Anyone on this board know?
Old 12-04-2008, 11:28 PM

Max is on a distinguished road

Not my thing. My girlfriend does it.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:20 AM

cooldude is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to cooldude Send a message via Yahoo to cooldude Send a message via Skype™ to cooldude
Cool Has nothing to do with luck

Yes, hello there, the reason people put one cigarette in upside down is because when someone bums a smoke from them, the person asking for a smoke reaches into the pack and pulls out the upside down smoke because people don't want you touching the filters of the other cigarettes in the pack. Nobody knows where your hand has been and they don't want you touching their smokes. If you bum a smoke from someone that has an upside down cig, you are supposed to grab that one by the tobacco end BECAUSE it is upside down. It is there for you that way on purpose. If nobody bums a smoke from that pack, the owner of the pack smokes it and then flips one over on the next pack. It don't have nothing to do with luck of the draw or such nonsense. It is for sanitary reasons.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:10 AM

Max is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cooldude View Post
Yes, hello there, the reason people put one cigarette in upside down is because when someone bums a smoke from them, the person asking for a smoke reaches into the pack and pulls out the upside down smoke because people don't want you touching the filters of the other cigarettes in the pack. Nobody knows where your hand has been and they don't want you touching their smokes. If you bum a smoke from someone that has an upside down cig, you are supposed to grab that one by the tobacco end BECAUSE it is upside down. It is there for you that way on purpose. If nobody bums a smoke from that pack, the owner of the pack smokes it and then flips one over on the next pack. It don't have nothing to do with luck of the draw or such nonsense. It is for sanitary reasons.
Interesting. My girl would kill if somebody laid their hands on the upside down cigarette.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:19 AM

Rodwy is on a distinguished road

From what I know back in the old days Lucky Strike supposedly would put a "lucky" cigarette in random packs, the "lucky" cig being pot laced and having some identifying mark so you'd turn it over so no one would know. Thus being a Lucky Strike, although the name actually comes from the gold rush. The pot thing is urban legend.

I see it as a tradition, although with smoking Luckies it's hard to tell which ones upside down.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:43 PM

redman is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by CamelMan324 View Post
Hey guys, I know some of you may not know what I'm talking about, but I've met quite a few smokers who do this and I was wondering why they do. Does anybody here do this thing where you make like a "lucky cigarette" in your pack of cigs? It's like where you flip one of your cigs upside down and leave the rest right side up. I've tried googling it but all I get is results for "Lucky Strike cigarettes". I really don't understand why some people do this, I guess maybe it's to remind them that they need to go buy a new pack or something, but I just really don't know for sure.
It's just an old superstition gimmick. But also means that you leave it till last and if someone tries to bum a smoke from you, you can show 'em it's your last one.