Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Kentucky Select

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 08:52 PM

Zarit has a spectacular aura aboutZarit has a spectacular aura about
Default Kentucky Select

Didn't see a thread for Kentucky Select, so I thought I'd start one.

Sizes: 1/2/6/16oz, 5lb.
Blends: Full Flavour (Red), Menthol (Green), Light (Gold), Light Menthol (Blue), Ultra Light (Silver), Organic.

I've tried the Green, Gold and Silver bags so far, all in a Gizeh Silver Tip. I'm not an expert on this, so take review with a grain of salt and keep in mind that everyone's tastes are different.

The Green is a medium bodied smoke with a strong menthol flavour. The pouch I got was far too dry (not quite "turn to dust when you pick it up" but close) and was hot and harsh. A little shower and it was the perfect moisture level for me. Took away the heat and harshness, made it into a rather nice smoke. I'd say the menthol flavour is stronger than that from a Hot Rod Menthol tube, but not as strong as the Hot Rod Super Menthol.

I saw the Gold listed on one site (and of course I can't remember which one) as Smooth rather than Light. It does have a lighter body than the Green but it also incredibly smooth. Only problem is it leaves an after taste unlike any other tobacco I've tried. It's sort of a herbal, floral sort of thing. I didn't find it to be that any worse or more noticeable than the after taste from other tobaccos, but some may find that it's not to their liking, especially if chain smoking.

The Silver isn't one I enjoy. It has a sharpness to it on the inhale and has a weird metallic after taste, like I'd just licked an aluminium can. I tried mixing it 50/50 with a FF tobacco and the weird taste and sharpness went away. It ended up not being an ultra light cigarette (obviously), so it pretty much defeated the purpose of buying it to have an ultra light smoke; it was more of a light/medium like the Gold. For an Ultra Light tobacco, Buoy Silver is a better option in my opinion.
Update: Tried it in a Shargio menthol tube and it's better. The sharpness is still there, but it's toned down a bit and the weird aftertaste is all but gone. Just a very faint hint of it, but much better than in a FF tube. I still prefer the Buoy Silver (usually smoke it in the Shargio menthol) but this is a suitable replacement until I can get my hands on some more Buoy.

Edit: Forgot to mention that Kentucky Select is a ribbon cut and the bags I got came with few sticks/shake. Just made about 20 cigarettes with the Silver and found six or so sticks; five were short (1cm or less), one was long (about 2cm). I get about the same amount from other brands, so to me this is normal.

Last edited by Zarit; 12-30-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:26 AM
NCJY

Zarit, nice reviews, thanks
Old 12-30-2012, 11:31 AM

masklofumanto has a spectacular aura aboutmasklofumanto has a spectacular aura about

Kentucky Select was the first tobacco I got after starting RYO in October 2012. I have commented on the odd, "herbal" aftertaste from Kentucky Select Red several times now. Personally, I don't like it, and will never buy Kentucky Select again. However, just last night I added some of it to Smokin G MRD, about 20% KS to 80% MRD, and found that it actually improved the MRD. I'm guessing that MRD has too much Virginia in the blend, so the addition of a small quantity of KS may have counteracted it without adding KS's weird aftertaste.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:16 PM

ronsen will become famous soon enoughronsen will become famous soon enough

KS Blue was my menthol of choice. Beats all the local gas station brands of fake menthol and mint. Local test victims agree. A victim who works at the local B&M loves KS blue only in a Nocturne tube. She has given them out to several good customers. Most say it is the best menthol combo they have ever smoked. But most of us agree, TGS Gold menthol beats it hands down.
Despite requests from many to carry KS and TGS brand tobaccos, the owners of local B&M refuse to even look into it.

When a ryo machine shop opened in town, the local B&M lost alot of business.
You see, the ryo machine shop uses and sells KS bulk. Since the shut down of the ryo machines, the owner is still open, and selling alot of bulk KS.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:46 PM

Zarit has a spectacular aura aboutZarit has a spectacular aura about

I've been smoking the Gold in Shargio light tubes lately, occasionally a FF tube (Zig Zag or Gizeh). I hadn't touched it for a couple weeks; it was just sitting in the closet. Started using it again a week or so ago and the weird aftertaste I mentioned previously is much less noticeable than before. There's still a slight hint of it, but it's not nearly as strong.

When I first got the bag, it was a bit on the dry side (would've probably been fine for some, but I prefer it to be just slightly damper than it was). I spread it out on a tray and sprayed it with some water, mixed it up a bit, then let it sit for a bit and finally put it back in the bag it came in. The taste was still strong before and after spraying it, but now that it's sat doing nothing for a while it's much, much less. Not sure if letting it sit is what did it, but something changed.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:50 PM

masklofumanto has a spectacular aura aboutmasklofumanto has a spectacular aura about

When I needed to rehydrate it, I put an apple peel in the bag -- that did improve the flavor a bit (I think it absorbed the apple flavor), but the weird aftertaste was still there. I'm still using it as a blender with my Smokin G MRD; I think I still have about four ounces left of the original one-pound bag (purchased in Oct. 2012). I won't buy KS again!

BTW, believe it or not, Red Cap Regular is arguably even worse, IMO.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 02-15-2013 at 07:02 PM.