Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes » How to really make menthol cigarettes

How to really make menthol cigarettes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 12:01 AM

A_Nony_Mouse is on a distinguished road
Default How to really make menthol cigarettes

First off, ignore this post. [url]http://www.cigreviews.com/forums/ryo-roll-your-own-cigarettes/1951-making-menthol-tobacco.html[/url]

I was making a second batch of mentholated tobacco by the heating and melting method in the above post and I tried one and it was only weakly mentholated. So I decided i would add more in the morning. The next day before adding more I made another one and it was fully mentholated like an old time Kool but a bit more so. There was only sitting over night in a sealed container.

So I put enough menthol crystals to just cover the bottom in a 4.5x1.5 in bottle like a spice shaker jar, roll one cigarette, put it in and taste it 12 hours later. It was fully mentholated. No heating, no melting, no nothing.

So I try it again with three cigs in the same jar. In 6hr one is mildly menthol, 12hr fully menthol and 24 hr it is Kools on steroids.

I had checked the vapor pressure of menthol and found it about 1/5th that of water and rubbing alcohol about twice water so I did not expect much from simple evaporation. This was way more than I would have expected.

So I dump the crystals from the jar into a bag with about 5 oz of tobacco and put the bag in front of the exhaust fan of a computer for a bit of warmth. 24hrs later I have Kools again.

All I did was shake up the bag after adding the menthol. The warmth probably was not necessary but everyone reading this has a computer exhaust fan to that is not an issue.

I have no explanation as to why this worked so well. The menthol crystals in the storage jar do have a tendency for only the finest stuff that I ground (with the flat end of a marking pen not anything fancy) tended to stick together. That suggests some evaporation. I took out some very large crystals when it first arrived and put them in another jar but they show no signs of losing their crystalline edges. I would expect evaporation to condense on the side of the container but no sign of it nor on the bag it came in.

Further when smoking I notice the occasional "wet" spot on the cigarette which I assume is a small piece of menthol melting so there are still crystals in the tobacco. If there is evaporation it is far from complete.

Anyone who gives this a try how about trying some variations and report what you find. The amount I used is incredibly trivial compared to the results. If I were going to test this I would start with menthol weight at 0.1% of tobacco weight and expect that to be way too much.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:16 AM

ronsen will become famous soon enoughronsen will become famous soon enough

I stuff menthol smokes in bulk. Menthol tubes/menthol tobacco. Menthol tubes/ non menthol tobacco. FF-Lite tubes/menthol tobacco. When I stuff what I consider a premium tobacco (D&R, PS) in menthol tubes, the menthol comes thru better after sitting a day. Another method is mixing 50/50 menthol tobacco with non menthol tobacco and let sit for a day or two before stuffing into any type tube.

I pack bulk menthol smokes in cheap cigar boxes. Leave as little space as possible. I can put in up to 50% FF tobacco in FF tube in with them. In 2 weeks they will also taste menthol. I have kept my bulk menthols up to 6 months with no loss of flavor or freshness. I doubt this would work with a box of non menthol smokes.

TGS and KS menthols work the best. Mint gas station brands don't.

Menthol will bleed off fast when left in the open. I put opened/unwrapped menthol tubes into a 2.5 gal zip lock. Holds 5 boxes of tubes. I will use unopened bioxes still shrink wrapped to fill bag up. All my FF/lite tubes go into ziplock bags also, opened or unopened.

Anyway, this stuff works for me.
Sometimes it pays to be a lazy cheapskate.
BTW, i have been known to rant about cheap fake menthol/mint tobaccos.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:40 AM

For containers I use the cheap, nearly disposable ones from the grocery. The 64oz size, nearly 2L are 3 for $2.59. They seal air tight and seem to last forever. So far this is keeping the menthol level constant. Unfortunately too high for my taste as in near zero tobacco taste so I am adding tobacco to it to find an amount I like and from that work forward to duplicating it.

I am a strong proponents of lazy. Many times I have learned the hard way doing the least often works best. The best mead I ever made was when I decided not to stir the honey into the water but see if the turbulence from CO2 production would do the mixing for me. Instead it formed a layer above the honey that maximized the fermentation at just the right sugar content.

Anyway after all the ingenious things I had planned to try and from the post I read here to find it takes next to no effort at all to mentholate tobacco is strongly in favor of lazy. As Heinlein once observed, all progress is due to the lazy man.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:57 AM

When I fill a box up I date it, what tobacco is in what tube.
Things I have found out. TGS and KS menthols, for stronger menthol taste
use the lite menthol version. For less menthol taste use the reg menthol.
It took me awhile to figure out that lite is refering to the tobacco, not the menthol. The lighter the tobacco, the stronger the menthol comes thru.

I have found that most mint tobaccos require a menthol tube, unless packed in a box with smokes containing TGS or KS menthol. Golden Harvest mint will hold up nice in a FF tube, as will Largo mint.

I like PS Amsterdam, NCS 3-C, and D&R shags in a menthol tube once in awhile in GH menthol or Premier menthol tubes.
Letting them sit for at least 12 hours gives the best results. The flavor isn't overwhelmed by the menthol. I guess it melds just right. Fresh stuffed leaves something to be desired. Bulk packing these tobaccos is a waste of higher priced tobacco.

Some of the hardest working people I know never get anything done.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:42 PM

Default making some more

Originally Posted by A_Nony_Mouse View Post
For containers I use the cheap, nearly disposable ones from the grocery. The 64oz size, nearly 2L are 3 for $2.59. They seal air tight and seem to last forever. So far this is keeping the menthol level constant. Unfortunately too high for my taste as in near zero tobacco taste so I am adding tobacco to it to find an amount I like and from that work forward to duplicating it. ...
So I smoked enough to get the container about half empty and added more tobacco and mixed it. I added no more menthol. 18 hours later I have Kools again. This is all from the very small amount of menthol I added originally. At this point I have no idea how to estimate the usage rate of menthol but certainly the 4oz I bought should last at least ten years.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:29 AM

When ever I have free time. Make up 6, 8 or 16 oz bag at a time. Watch TV while doing it. Mark boxes with date, brand of tobacco and tubes. Only do this with my various menthol smoke combos. Been doing this for 3+ years. I wouldn't do it with non menthol smokes.

Right now I am smoking The Good Stuff Gold Menthol in Nocturne, Elegante and Beretta FF tubes. Pretty good. Just handed some out. No complaints.
BTW, made them March 23.

Started out filling boxes, then into 16 oz tobacco bag. The last year or so I have been using cheap cigar boxes in ziplock bags.