Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes » Favorite "dual purpose" brand?

Favorite "dual purpose" brand?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Entry Member

bobbymcgee69 is on a distinguished road
Default Favorite "dual purpose" brand?

I'm new to ryo, I've been smoking American Spirit yellows, and recently switched to hand rolling with bali shag (red bag), and I've also tried a small bag of Gambler, but naively bought tube cut so it's very hard to roll with. I noticed when rolling with tobacco labeled as being intended for cigarettes, I'm really not saving a WHOLE lot. Is there a dual purpose brand that you really like?
Old 06-04-2012, 11:45 PM

dman20 will become famous soon enough

Hmm...I've done both and from my experience, cigarette tobacco is definitely of better quality than dual purpose pipe tobacco. I even notice savings when using cigarette tobacco. With cigarette tobacco, I can still make roughly 2 packs out of a 1.4 oz pouch of rolling tobacco. Even with the high Wisconsin taxes, I'm not paying more than $5-6 a pack. Just to give you an idea, Marlboros go for about $8 a pack here. Now, pipe tobacco, the only ones I've found that I've really liked so far are Royale and Kentucky Select. I recently picked up a bag of Kentucky Reserve pipe tobacco to try, and will see how that goes. A friend of mine went down to Missouri and brought back Kentucky Select pipe tobacco rolled up in tubes made at a Filling Station. That was excellent pipe tobacco, one of the best I've had. If you can get your hands on that stuff, I would recommend it. If they sold it where I lived in Wisconsin, I would definitely be buying myself a bag. Taste, however, is a very subjective thing. You just have to experiment and find what you like and don't like. As for Bali Shag, now that is some good stuff. I love the smokey smell and flavor to it. The only thing I didn't like about that one is all the sticks, stems, and "bird's eyes" that were in the tobacco. Otherwise, quite a tasty tobacco.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:10 PM

chucku is on a distinguished road

D&R has three blends, while labeled pipe tobacco, are shag cut and work well for injecting or hand rolling. I use Ryback as my every day stock. It is a dark fired european style blend with a very seductive smoke-woody nose. Three Sails is an English style Virginian blend I have heard is intended to approximate Three Castles. Ryback Gold is 60% Ryback and 40% Three Sals. I order mine from Trisha's Cafe (the manufacturers site) for $24.95/14 oz bag. They also offer 3.5 cans and 40 gram tins so you can sample and try making your own blends.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:04 AM

larryccf is a jewel in the roughlarryccf is a jewel in the roughlarryccf is a jewel in the roughlarryccf is a jewel in the rough
Default my daily smoke is Southern Steel Mellow

i was a marlboro light smoker for 30+ years, and stuffing SS Mellow in 25mm filtered tubes, my cost per carton is $8.61 - big difference from the $4 a pack for marlboro lights here in VA

up until recent loved the Windsail Platinum - mild and smooth smoke and ran about $15 a carton. But recently discovered Gawith & Hoggarth Kendal Gold and got to say "wow" - this is the tobacco i wish i'd been smoking the past 30 years - super mild & smooth but still plenty of the most pleasant tobacco taste i've ever experienced. It's on the pricey side at $53 shipped for a 17.6 oz bag, but stuffed in 25mm filtered tubes, cost is running $19.50 a carton, but regardless of price, i wish i'd known about MYO and G&H kendal gold years ago

Last edited by larryccf; 07-16-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:37 PM
NCJY

Originally Posted by bobbymcgee69 View Post
I'm new to ryo, I've been smoking American Spirit yellows, and recently switched to hand rolling with bali shag (red bag), and I've also tried a small bag of Gambler, but naively bought tube cut so it's very hard to roll with. I noticed when rolling with tobacco labeled as being intended for cigarettes, I'm really not saving a WHOLE lot. Is there a dual purpose brand that you really like?
My favorite dual purpose brand is Peter Stokkebye pipe cut for MYO based on quality and value.
For hand rolling, a shag cut is prefered. D&R makes several shags that are a decent value.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:45 PM

ronsen will become famous soon enoughronsen will become famous soon enough

NCS 3-C, TGS Gold menthol and D&R 3 Sails, work for me.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:57 PM

A_Nony_Mouse is on a distinguished road
Default Current favorite

Trish's Cafe, 2 Daughters, Two Timer Gold. Without the virginia to make it "gold" is a dead ringer for the Lucky Strikes of the good old days made of all Burley tobaccos and "toasted." The virginia to make it gold adds a distinctive flavor note that is complimentary to the burley.

What I am looking for is a good copy of the Camels of the good old days. I have found several close but none quite close enough to stick with.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:41 PM

ronsen will become famous soon enoughronsen will become famous soon enough

Try almost any shag cut dual purpose for rolling ease. same cut as rolling cigarette tobacco. Another tobacco is D&R's Athey. Advertised as small cube cut for easy rolling.