Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes » Silver Tip Extra Tubes (25mm Filter)

Silver Tip Extra Tubes (25mm Filter)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 04:29 PM

patgwashere is on a distinguished road
Default Silver Tip Extra Tubes (25mm Filter)

love these tubes. i was using various full flavor tubes with 15mm filters and they always left my throat a little sore.(i smoke about 30 cigs a day)
these tubes make for a softer smoke but do not take away any of the flavor. they pack fine with my top o matic just have to pull off extra tobacco that hangs out the end of tube and through it back in to the pile.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:57 AM

gatrman56 is on a distinguished road

Welcome patgwashere to the forum,
I have tried the tube silver tip by Gizeh,now
try one better silver tip/ charcoal they call
them Charbon. makes your smoke very smooth.

gatrman56
Old 02-03-2012, 06:47 PM

IHCman is on a distinguished road

I've got some of the Silver Tip Charbon's and they are a very good tube. Really smooth and easy to stuff.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:27 PM

datella is on a distinguished road
Default Gizeh tubes

I love both the gizeh extra tubes, as well as the gizeh extra hand held injector.

I got real tired of the high priced injectors not consistently making great cigarettes, and have gone back to the wonderful hand held injectors.

It is a pleasure to be able to make cigarettes that are uniformly full from filter to tip, instead of the tobacco not going down to the filter all the time, or cigarettes that are only 3/4 full as is the case with crank, or the electric (zen super shooter) which both methods are way too finicky for me.

Give me the gizeh combination any day.

I also like the premier hand held injector, both the gizeh, and the premier hand held injectors make consistently great smokes.

The gizeh extra tube has become my all time favorite tube.
I also like the gizeh charbon, and the laramie 68mm tubes.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:27 PM

larryccf is a jewel in the roughlarryccf is a jewel in the roughlarryccf is a jewel in the roughlarryccf is a jewel in the rough

i've been comparing the gizeh extra, gizeh air-plus (formerly AirStream and a number of vendors still list it as the AirStream), Gizeh Charbon and the Mascotte Gold. Mascotte is a sister line to the Gizeh tubes, and for the life of me, all are identical in smoothness and taste - the paper in all seems to be very neutral, taste wise with no influence i can perceive on the tobacco. The Air-Plus and the Mascotte Gold are both perforated allowing additional air in behind the burning tobacco.

Where the Extra excels, if you do the math - the 10mm longer filter (10mm = 3/8") means much less tobacco stuffed and wasted in a tube. A king size tube is 84mm, and with a 15mm filter, you're stuffing 69mm of that KS with tobacco. Problem is i never smoke a cig down to the 15mm filter or anywhere near it. Even with a 25mm filter, i'm putting it out about 3/8" ahead of the filter's tipping paper. It kind of flipped me out when i crunch it on a calculator, that stuffing a 15mm filtered tube i'm wasting 3.2 cigs worth of tobacco a 20 cig pack, or 32 cigs worth a carton - that 1 & 2/3s packs worth of tobacco a carton!!. No matter how cheap a per pack price, (i'm down to $.86 a pack stuffing Southern Steel Mellow), throwing away 1.66 packs every carton seems a waste. When i'm stuffing the Gawith & Hoggarth kendal gold, at $49 a 17 oz bag, i tend to notice that much wasted tobacco

One other tube i like a lot is the windsail elite w a 20mm tube - don't know why, i like it in spite of being able to notice a slight (almost non-discernible) paper taste but the filter is 20mm. I'm actually thinking of buying the 100MM version of that tube and cutting the tubes down to 84mm, i like it that much. It might just be psychological, that the white filter of the windsail elite with black/silver band seems like a higher quality tube, i just know i like it.

the only problem with the 25mm filter is most machines seem designed to stuff 15-20mm tubes with the net result, to stuff the 25mm filtered tubes properly, you end up with a 3/8"+ carrot top.

Gizeh does make the handheld Extra injector, specific for the GIzeh Extra tubes, so i've ordered one and i'm wondering if the gizeh crank injector also has the compression chamber adjusted for the shortened tube capacity.

link to a review on the Gizeh Extra handheld injector syo.dalrun.com/Machines/Slide/1442.html
Old 07-15-2012, 05:05 PM

larryccf is a jewel in the roughlarryccf is a jewel in the roughlarryccf is a jewel in the roughlarryccf is a jewel in the rough

i've been comparing the gizeh extra, gizeh air-plus (formerly AirStream and a number of vendors still list it as the AirStream), Gizeh Charbon and the Mascotte Gold. Mascotte is a sister line to the Gizeh tubes, and for the life of me, all are identical in smoothness and taste - the paper in all seems to be very neutral, taste wise with no influence i can perceive on the tobacco. The Air-Plus and the Mascotte Gold are both perforated allowing additional air in behind the burning tobacco

Where the Extra excels, if you do the math - the 10mm longer filter (10mm = 3/8") means much less tobacco stuffed and wasted in a tube. A king size tube is 84mm, and with a 15mm filter, you're stuffing 69mm of that KS with tobacco. Problem is i never smoke a cig down to the 15mm filter or anywhere near it. Even with a 25mm filter, i'm putting it out about 3/8" ahead of the filter's tipping paper. It kind of flipped me out when i crunched it on a calculator, that stuffing a 15mm filtered tube i'm wasting 3.2 cigs worth of tobacco a 20 cig pack, or 32 cigs worth a carton - that's 1 & 2/3s packs worth of tobacco a carton!!. No matter how cheap a per pack price, (i'm down to $.86 a pack stuffing Southern Steel Mellow in the gizeh Extra), throwing away 1.66 packs every carton seems a waste. When i'm stuffing the Gawith & Hoggarth kendal gold, at $49 a 17 oz bag, i tend to notice that much wasted tobacco. For the hey of it, i weighed a bowl of tobacco, cranked out a carton of cigs using SS Mellow (10 packs of 18 cigs per pack) using 15mm filtered tubes and weighed the bowl when i was thru - net result was 7.24 ounces of tobacco used. Then the next night did the same using 25mm filtered Gizeh Extras - total tobacco used was 5.83 ounces. On the Southern steel tobacco, at $14.44 shipped per 15 oz bag that's only a cost difference on the tobacco of $1.34 per carton. But when i'm stuffing the Gawith & Hoggarth kendal gold at $53 shipped, it works out to the difference between $17.54 or $22.68 per carton in tobacco costs. It definitely makes the G&H more affordable, to me at least.

One other tube i like a lot is the windsail elite w a 20mm tube - don't know why, i like it in spite of being able to notice a slight (almost non-discernible) paper taste but the filter is 20mm. I'm actually thinking of buying the 100MM version of that tube and cutting the tubes down to 84mm, i like it that much. It might just be psychological, that the white filter of the windsail elite with black/silver band seems like a higher quality tube, i just know i like it.

the only problem with the 25mm filter is most machines seem designed to stuff 15-20mm tubes with the net result, to stuff the 25mm filtered tubes properly, you end up with a 3/8"+ carrot top.

Gizeh does make the handheld Extra injector, specific for the GIzeh Extra tubes, so i've ordered one and i'm wondering if the gizeh crank injector also has the compression chamber adjusted for the shortened tube capacity.

link to a review on the Gizeh Extra handheld injector [url=http://syo.dalrun.com/Machines/Slide/1442.html]Stuffing Your Own : Machines : Slide : Silver Tip Extra[/url]

Last edited by larryccf; 07-15-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:13 PM
NCJY

Default Gizeh Sivertip Extra Tubes

I have a love/hate relationship with these.
Love the idea of a longer filter for how it feels, but the Silvertip Extra filters shrink and mush considerably negating any "smoother taste" or nice feel.
The thin paper burns uneven and very fast in the wind. For indoor use only.
Mine never tasted good, I suspect they were contaminated.
Not to mention the injection issues.
Fact is, I have multible boxes that never get used.
Wish I could be more positive.

Last edited by NCJY; 07-18-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:41 PM

ronsen will become famous soon enoughronsen will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NCJY View Post
Love the idea of a longer filter for how it feels, but the Silvertip Extra filters shrink and mush considerably negating any "smoother taste" or nice feel.
I tried them. Not in love with them. Same with the Charbron. Maybe I just haven't found the right tobacco for them. I do like the Laramie 68 mm tho. I think all are niche tubes.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:32 AM

ronsen will become famous soon enoughronsen will become famous soon enough

I haven't noticed any smoother taste versus any 17 or 20mm. Even Gambler Gold 15mm kings are smoother according to my taste.
I used to stuff Golden Harvest Robust into Zen menthol 17 mm tubes. Usually got 195-200 smokes per 6 oz bag. To use up a box 25mm Gizehs, I stuffed them with Golden Harvest Mint. Results 205 smokes. No huge cost savings for me. This smoke is barely tolerable. GH Mint stuffed into any other FF or lite tube beats it hands down.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:36 AM
NCJY

Running low on my better tubes, trying to make a dent in all the ones I have set aside. Just finished another box of the Gizeh STE. One thing I forgot, they are the narrowest "8 mm"" tube around. Love the narrow feel, hate the extra effort to get them on my injector nozzel. YMMV.
Would be interested trying these with the handheld designed specifically for them, may negate some of my current drawbacks.
Anyway, I will not buy again.

Last edited by NCJY; 08-01-2012 at 06:31 AM.