Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes » Silver Tip Extra Tubes (25mm Filter)

Silver Tip Extra Tubes (25mm Filter)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 07:06 AM

larryccf is a jewel in the roughlarryccf is a jewel in the roughlarryccf is a jewel in the rough
Default i use em and like em

i agree on the issue of the filters shrinking down or getting mushy but i haven't found a MYO tube that doesn't - and it is the tightest tube to nozzle fit. I've got one of the Gizeh Extran handheld injectors - the fit on the nozzle there is more in line with other brand tubes on my PI or PII

I've compared the Gizeh Charbon, Silvertip AirStream, Silvertip Extra and the Mascotte Gold and they are all equally neutral in taste (to me).

but the one advantage to me is the 25mm filter - when i worked out the math on the difference in tobacco used per carton, a 15mm filter means 32 fewer sticks from the same amount of tobacco - not a big deal on the value blends but wihen i'm stuffing the Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Gold, at $49 a bag, i go with the Gizeh Extras.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:21 AM
NCJY

Default Gizeh STE vs Hot Rod

Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
i agree on the issue of the filters shrinking down or getting mushy but i haven't found a MYO tube that doesn't - and it is the tightest tube to nozzle fit. I've got one of the Gizeh Extran handheld injectors - the fit on the nozzle there is more in line with other brand tubes on my PI or PII

I've compared the Gizeh Charbon, Silvertip AirStream, Silvertip Extra and the Mascotte Gold and they are all equally neutral in taste (to me).

but the one advantage to me is the 25mm filter - when i worked out the math on the difference in tobacco used per carton, a 15mm filter means 32 fewer sticks from the same amount of tobacco - not a big deal on the value blends but wihen i'm stuffing the Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Gold, at $49 a bag, i go with the Gizeh Extras.
As far as shrinkage goes, Hot Rod tubes with 20 mm filters are best. They also slide well onto my nozzel.

Calculated the theoretical volume difference, I get 7.6%. Theoretically 15 smokes per carton.

In reality, I can smoke the Hot Rod down to the brown paper without the filter burning. With the Gizeh STE, have to leave some amount above the filter to prevent it from burning. Almost a wash, so in other words, about the same amount of tobacco is wasted. In effect smoking a shorter cigarette, about the same as cutting 5 mm off the Hot Rod Tube.

The kicker for me, is that the thin papper burns faster. In the wind they seem to just evaporate in front of my eyes. They also run like crazy.

Am I saving anything? For me no, and because I have never liked the taste of the two batches I got, I still think Hot Rod the best for me.

I get a 2%-3% per carton savings with the cheaper Hot Rod anyway.

Last edited by NCJY; 08-01-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:39 AM

larryccf is a jewel in the roughlarryccf is a jewel in the roughlarryccf is a jewel in the rough

"Calculated the theoretical volume difference, I get 7.6%. Theoretically 15 smokes per carton"

84mm seems to be the KS length standard.
with a 15mm filter, that means you've got 69mm of tube to fill with tobacco
with a 25mm filter, 59mm to fill

so operating on the 59mm length, the 10mm shorter filter means you using enough extra tobacco per 15mm filtered stick to fill one 25mm filtered tube for every six 15mm filtered tubes (+ an additional .6mm tobacco), or 3.18 free cigs every 18 cigs = 3.2 cigs per pack

10 packs X 3.2 cigs in my math = 32 cigs every carton (not being smart - if i'm missing something in the match, please point it out)

before i did the volume calculations, i had weighed out my tobacco before and after stuffing 10 packs each of 15mm filtered tubes and 10 of the Gizeh Extras, and found when stuffing the Extras with their 25mm filter, i used 5.9 to 6 ounces of tobacco per carton, and 7.2 ounces stuffing the 15mm tubes. Only did that for one carton of each, obviously doing 10 cartons of each would have given a better sampling, but i just wanted an idea of tobacco consumption each way. But on a weight comparison basis, 1/7th (rounding the difference to one ounce) the difference is 14.3% less tobacco w/25mm filtered tubes.

to be frank, i actually bought a couple of boxes of the windsail elite 100mm tubes cause of their 25mm filters, and have been cutting them down - i can't explain it, but while the gizeh extra seems to be neutral in affecting the flavor of the tobacco burning, the windsail elite paper or tube i like better. Just wish the 100mm tubes weren't $4 a carton

Last edited by larryccf; 08-01-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:07 AM
NCJY

Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
"Calculated the theoretical volume difference, I get 7.6%. Theoretically 15 smokes per carton"

84mm seems to be the KS length standard.
with a 15mm filter, that means you've got 69mm of tube to fill with tobacco
with a 25mm filter, 59mm to fill

so operating on the 59mm length, the 10mm shorter filter means you using enough extra tobacco per 15mm filtered stick to fill one 25mm filtered tube for every six 15mm filtered tubes (+ an additional .6mm tobacco), or 3.18 free cigs every 18 cigs = 3.2 cigs per pack

10 packs X 3.2 cigs in my math = 32 cigs every carton (not being smart - if i'm missing something in the match, please point it out)

before i did the volume calculations, i had weighed out my tobacco before and after stuffing 10 packs each of 15mm filtered tubes and 10 of the Gizeh Extras, and found when stuffing the Extras with their 25mm filter, i used 5.9 to 6 ounces of tobacco per carton, and 7.2 ounces stuffing the 15mm tubes. Only did that for one carton of each, obviously doing 10 cartons of each would have given a better sampling, but i just wanted an idea of tobacco consumption each way. But on a weight comparison basis, 1/7th (rounding the difference to one ounce) the difference is 14.3% less tobacco w/25mm filtered tubes.

to be frank, i actually bought a couple of boxes of the windsail elite 100mm tubes cause of their 25mm filters, and have been cutting them down - i can't explain it, but while the gizeh extra seems to be neutral in affecting the flavor of the tobacco burning, the windsail elite paper or tube i like better. Just wish the 100mm tubes weren't $4 a carton
I didn't check your math.
Percent volume difference I calculated between filter sizes.
15-17 mm 3%
15-20 mm 7%
15-25 mm 14%

Last edited by NCJY; 08-02-2012 at 06:06 AM.