Anyone notice a health difference in RYO. - Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes » Anyone notice a health difference in RYO.

Anyone notice a health difference in RYO.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 03:52 PM

camelsmoker51 is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone notice a health difference in RYO.

I have been Rolling my own cigarettes for a while now and I have to say there is a noticable difference in the health effects. I used to get fairly bad smokers coughs and that seems to have lessened greatly, I used to have trouble breathing and a tightness in my chest and that seems to have lessened as well. And smoking cessation does not seem to be as bad as it was when I smoked prepackeged, I used to smoke alot but now, rarely more than 10 a day.
And it taste much better and much more natural than prepackaged, I'm starting to think RYO is the only way to go and im also starting to think these scientists are wrong, its not tobacco and niccotine that causes all of the problems linked to smoking it's the chemicals the tobacco companies put in prepackaged cigarettes that get people.

What do you guys think.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:43 AM

dman20 will become famous soon enough

I agree with you. I've noticed a definitely noticed a difference healthwise since switching to RYO. I also started using snus to cut down on my smoking and it's been working. I find it's easier to breathe and I cough less. If I bum a factory made cigarette off someone now, I can taste the chemicals. I smoked a Newport today and it made me feel nauseous. I also happen to agree that RYO cigarettes taste better than factory mades. It's nice not to have a chemically infested cigarette that goes out on you.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:36 PM

blimy49 is on a distinguished road

I too have noticed less coughing in the morning. Still cough some, but it seems much looser.
And, unless I'm drinking some beers, my urge to smoke isn't nearly as strong. Definately less than a pack a day. Store bought, a pack a day was standard.
Cheers to RYO !
I've been using the 'Natural' blend of Good Stuff pipe tobacco.
What tobacco are you using?
Old 01-28-2012, 10:15 PM

dman20 will become famous soon enough

At the moment I'm using Royale pipe tobacco. When I run out of the tobacco I have, I'm going to start buying more cig tobacco. Cheers to having a job!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:00 PM

RudyLS is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by camelsmoker51 View Post
I have been Rolling my own cigarettes for a while now and I have to say there is a noticable difference in the health effects. I used to get fairly bad smokers coughs and that seems to have lessened greatly, I used to have trouble breathing and a tightness in my chest and that seems to have lessened as well. And smoking cessation does not seem to be as bad as it was when I smoked prepackeged, I used to smoke alot but now, rarely more than 10 a day.
And it taste much better and much more natural than prepackaged, I'm starting to think RYO is the only way to go and im also starting to think these scientists are wrong, its not tobacco and niccotine that causes all of the problems linked to smoking it's the chemicals the tobacco companies put in prepackaged cigarettes that get people.

What do you guys think.
I never smoked ryo but I want to try..

And nicotine and tobacco CREATE MOST OF THOSE "CARXOINIGINES" when tobacco leaf is lit on fire.

It's not like the tobacco company's dump all that shut in there , it's a chemical reaction that produces the chemicals that are bad in cigs.

This is why American spirit got into trouble a while ago ... "additive free" does not mean "carxoinigen" free.

Smoke em if you got em'!!!
Old 01-30-2012, 12:52 PM

camelsmoker51 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by RudyLS View Post
I never smoked ryo but I want to try..

And nicotine and tobacco CREATE MOST OF THOSE "CARXOINIGINES" when tobacco leaf is lit on fire.

It's not like the tobacco company's dump all that shut in there , it's a chemical reaction that produces the chemicals that are bad in cigs.

This is why American spirit got into trouble a while ago ... "additive free" does not mean "carxoinigen" free.

Smoke em if you got em'!!!

I'm gonna have to disagree with that, cigarette companies add ammonia to tobacco to magnify the effects of niccotine on the smoker and they also add over 500 more chemicals they are meant to enhance the taste, make the cigarettes cheaper to produce and to try and get the smoker even more addicted. Thats why they are called chemical additives. Sure some of them come from the combustion of the tobacco, its a chemical change and there will be some chemicals produced but the chemicals that I think are the most harmful are usually the ones that the tobacco companies add to the cigarette. Go buy some natural american spirit tobacco and switch to it for a week or two I will almost guarentee you that you will smoke less and you will notice a difference in health and then smoke one of your old cigarettes and I bet you won't like it because all you will taste are the chemicals.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:17 PM

lulz is on a distinguished road

the past couple of years ive made a sustained effort to "go natural" as much as possible. natural changes have included food (of course), pet products for my dog, and cleaning & personal products.

i've even gone to a natural smoke and overall i feel soooo much better. since i've started consuming "from the earth" i've become much more aware of the earth and my own body. on a practical level, i'm much less fatigued and overall have enjoyed a higher quality of life.

in short, i highly recommend cutting out the crap and smoking natural!
Old 01-30-2012, 03:10 PM

Light_em_up is on a distinguished road

I too have noticed a big difference in smoking RYO vs. factory made smokes. First of all, I also smoke less. I think that might be due in part to RYO tubes seem to be the same size as "wide" brand smokes and last much longer. I turned my father on to some RYO smokes and he told me, "These taste like the smokes of the 50's and 60's. Much richer flavor and not as harsh."

I'm a menthol smoker and have noticed a HUGE difference in taste. As previously posted, cigarette manufacturers put "chemical additives" in their smokes. I've noticed my lungs don't "hurt or ache" if I've chain smoked a few like I have the tendency to do when I'm driving. Also, the "smoker's cough" I have is not as bad as it used to be.

To sum up...I noticed a HUGE difference when I started RYO. I don't have the "nic fits" as bad when I go a longer time between smokes. I've read that menthol smokers have a harder time quitting because not only are you addicted to the nicotine, but also the menthol as well. BUT, these studies have shown that some of the "chemical additives" have addictive properties as well. As with any substance that is habit forming or addictive, the ingredients play a big role in the level of "addiction." This can be said for cigarettes of course, but also with food believe it or not. For example, I started a diet limiting my carb and sugar intake and in one month I lost 13 lbs. I noticed that since limiting these from my diet, I'm not as hungry all the time and don't crave them as much. The same goes for smokes. Since switching to RYO, as I said, I've cut down and when I just happen to not have any of my own rolled and have to buy a pack of manufactured smokes, I go through them in no time just as I would a bag of Rolo's before my diet LOL.

But as we all know, tobacco use is bad for you no matter what. My conclusion is to which degree is lesser, RYO or manufactured? I've not read any studies that compare the two, but in my personal experience I would have to say RYO is the lesser of two evils due to the "chemical additives." But that's one man's unqualified opinion.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:41 AM

Thumbs down

All cigs are equally as bad..,

I smoked 2 ppd of kools , made the switch to lucky strike and smoke a little less than a ppd. Does that make them healthier ? No.

All cigarettes kill , you can tell yourself whatever you want. Again, people have rolled there own for many many years , and I haven't seen any documented info that they are "healthier"

Regular #3 heroin is "healthier" than black tar and they both will kill your ass.

What surprises me is that even on the drug forums people are well aware of the dangers there habbits pose ,

And on this forum , it is filled with nothing but denial. When you light tobacco on fire and inhale the fumes , despite if it's "natural" or "additive free" your playing Russian roulette with your life.

I'm not here to preach , I only comment because I am sure tons of young people read these forums and digest all of these "healthy" smokers comments and improper facts.

I WOULD NEVER ENCOURAGE ANYONE TO START SMOKING. it's common sense.

I would greatly encourage all of the healthy guys to read this scientific article on American spirits and additive-free cigs. If anything
, they are worse then packaged cigs.

scienceblog.com/485/additive-free-cigarettes-may-pack-more-toxic-punch/

Last edited by Chief Smoker; 04-28-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:44 AM

Despite perceptions that additive-free cigarettes and the hand-rolled cigarettes from India called bidis may provide a less-toxic smoke than conventional cigarettes, new research suggests the opposite may be true. For the study, researchers asked 10 volunteers to smoke an unfiltered, additive-free American Spirit cigarette, a strawberry-flavored bidi, a non-flavored bidi and one of the participantsí own preferred brands of conventional cigarette. Results showed that two minutes after smoking the unfiltered, additive-free American Spirit cigarette or either type of bidi, participantsí plasma nicotine levels were significantly higher than when they smoked their own cigarettes. The high nicotine levels lasted longest with the American Spirit cigarette. Study results are published in the December issue of Nicotine & Tobacco Research.