Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes » Anyone notice a health difference in RYO.

Anyone notice a health difference in RYO.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 01:51 PM

RudyLS is on a distinguished road

About.com

The bottom line is this: the only "safe" cigarette is an unlit one. Additive-free hand-rolled cigarettes endanger the health of anyone who smokes them.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:56 PM

Many smokers believe that roll-your-own or RYO cigarettes are not as harmful as manufactured cigarettes. Many RYO smokers change to smoking roll-ups rather than stop smoking in the mistaken belief that they will smoke less tobacco and inhale fewer toxic chemicals.** But hand-rolling tobacco is as just as harmful as the tobacco in manufactured cigarettes.* Research using roll-up cigarettes made by smokers, shows that the levels of nicotine and cancer-causing chemicals inhaled are often higher than those from bought cigarettes.* RYO cigarettes are more likely to cause mouth, throat and lung cancer as well as lung diseases such as emphysema and heart disease.

gasp.org.uk/articles-roll-your-own-cigarettes-are-not-the-safer-option.htm

Last edited by Chief Smoker; 04-28-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:57 PM

gasp.org.uk/articles-roll-your-own-cigarettes-are-not-the-safer-option.htm

Last edited by Chief Smoker; 04-28-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Entry Member

plush is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by RudyLS View Post
All cigs are equally as bad..,

I smoked 2 ppd of kools , made the switch to lucky strike and smoke a little less than a ppd. Does that make them healthier ? No.

All cigarettes kill , you can tell yourself whatever you want. Again, people have rolled there own for many many years , and I haven't seen any documented info that they are "healthier"

Regular #3 heroin is "healthier" than black tar and they both will kill your ass.

What surprises me is that even on the drug forums people are well aware of the dangers there habbits pose ,

And on this forum , it is filled with nothing but denial. When you light tobacco on fire and inhale the fumes , despite if it's "natural" or "additive free" your playing Russian roulette with your life.

I'm not here to preach , I only comment because I am sure tons of young people read these forums and digest all of these "healthy" smokers comments and improper facts.

I WOULD NEVER ENCOURAGE ANYONE TO START SMOKING. it's common sense.

I would greatly encourage all of the healthy guys to read this scientific article on American spirits and additive-free cigs. If anything
, they are worse then packaged cigs.

[url=http://scienceblog.com/485/additive-free-cigarettes-may-pack-more-toxic-punch/]Additive-free cigarettes may pack more toxic punch | ScienceBlog.com[/url]
Lucky Strikes are NOT the same as rolling your own, they are still FSC.

You're also confusing Non-Additive and rolling your own, it's not the same thing in any way. Go get you some Amsterdam Shag and just look at the huge difference. Smell it. Roll yourself one and see how much better it is. I went from 10-15 camel/marlboros a day down to 2 of my own rolled cigs that are only 1/3 total size (amount tobacco being used) and I only smoke them down about half way and I'm good. I don't have any 'need' and constant want for cigarettes anymore. I don't feel addicted anymore. I don't stress over not being able to have one.

To original OP, YES!!! I FEEL 10000x BETTER! I never truly realized how sick cigarettes made me feel, especially the first one of the day, I almost always threw up from it. I'd get small headaches, my lungs would feel sore, I'd feel worn out and like shit by the end of the day. Hell, I had to start only smoking half cigs at a time because I'd get too nauseous from smoking a whole one. Full flavors started becoming wayyyyyyy too harsh (DO NOT CONFUSE WITH A STRONG TASTE, GOOD ROLLING TOBACCO CAN HAVE A STRONG TASTE BUT ITS NOT HARSH, ITS HARD TO IMAGINE IF YOU NEVER ROLLED YOUR OWN, BELIEVE ME, I WAS THERE) and I had to switch to mediums. Coughing up brown/black gunk all the time. If I ever did serious cardio, I'd get winded so easily. I don't have ANY of that anymore. Even after working a 10 hour shift, I'm still tired, but I don't feel completely drained as I used to. Let's not even get into the taste and everything else. And as a matter of fact, I would only buy menthol store boughts (started smoking with newports, wtff was i thinking) then kept switching between camels n marlboros and it was so easy to switch to non menthol when I finally smoked my own rolled REAL cigarette. I can't even stomach the smell of store boughts near me anymore. Oh, did I mention that? Rolling tobacco doesn't smell like stale ass and stink everything up, not one bit.

I don't care what anyone has to tell me about studies and blah blah blah, I AM TELLING YOU MYSELF, I AM MORE PROOF THAN ANY STUDY WILL EVER SHOW, I ACTUALLY SMOKED STORE BOUGHTS, SWITCHED AND HAVE NEVER FELT BETTER. OF COURSE EVERY STUDY AND THE GOVERNMENT IS GONNA TELL YOU HOW HEALTHY FSC CIGARETTES ARE AND HOW MUCH WORSE ROLLING YOUR OWN CIGARETTES ARE, BIG TOBACCO WOULDN'T DUMP BILLIONS OF DOLLARS LOBBYING IF THE THEY DIDN'T. WHY DO PEOPLE THINK A FILTER IS GOING TO DO ANYTHING? A FILTER COLLECT A PERCENTAGE OF THE SMOKE, ITS NOT FILTERING ANYTHING, YOU'RE JUST GETTING LESS SMOKE SO YOU INHALE HARDER, SMOKE MORE. THE TOBACCO IN CIGARETTES IS SO DISGUSTING AND HARSH, IT'D BE IMPOSSIBLE TO SMOKE WITHOUT A FILTER ANYWAY. THE LEVELS OF NICOTINE ARE HIGHER IN HAND ROLLS, NO SHIT?!!! ITS PURE UNFILTERED TOBACCO. THATS WHY I SMOKE ONLY ABOUT 1/6TH OF A TOTAL NORMAL CIGARETTE WHEN I ROLL MY OWN AND I ONLY SMOKE ABOUT 2 A DAY AND IM SATISFIED ALL DAY. AND ITS SO SURPRISINGLY SMOOTH FOR NO FILTER. WHY CANT STORE BOUGHTS BE LIKE THIS, EVEN WITH THE FILTERS? CAUSE YOU WONT GET HOOKED ON REGULAR ROLLING TOBACCO AND WIND UP SPENDING $40+ A WEEK ON IT AND CONSTANTLY HAVE TO HAVE IT. PEOPLE WHO CAN'T QUIT CIGS AREN'T ADDICTED TO CIGS, THEY'RE ADDICTED TO THE JUNK THEY PUT IN THEM

I registered to this site just so people can see my testimony as I came aross this site looking for information about FSC cigarettes, roll your owns and health issues and peoples personal experiences with them.

IF YOU ARE READING THIS, PLEASE SWITCH TO ROLLING YOUR OWN, GET SOME Peter Stokkebye TOBACCO, I KICK MYSELF EVERYDAY FOR NOT SWITCHING SOONER
Old 04-27-2012, 05:31 PM

dopplercb is on a distinguished road

I have noticed I cough less and raely wake up with aching lungs when I smoke home-rolled cigs from a bag of pipe-cut tobacco. I would bet my life that the chemicals they put in premanufactured cigs, especially this new one that stops the cig from burning if it hasn't been hit in a minute, cause a whole slew of additional problems for the person's lungs. in fact, I have felt the effects of store bought cigs many times. my mom had a heart attack in february and we were practically living at the hospital for a few weeks, meaning we couldn't roll many, if any, cigs, so we bought packs of them at stores. I lost my damn voice after smoking these for a week, and my lungs hurt like hell. once things calmed down and I could roll my own, I went back to normal. my mom went back to the hospital ER wednesday evening, and we decided to stop off and buy a pack of smokes because we didn't have time to roll. I have smoked that pack up in the last two days and my lungs were in piss poor shape this morning when I woke up. it hurt to breathe. ONE pack of store bought cigs smoked over two days made my lungs hurt more than smoking 2 packs of RYO cigs in one day did me (and I was smoking that much a day, if not more, until I cut back about 13 months ago).

I am telling you, they DEFINITELY put something harsh in those cigs. and, to add insult to injury, no matter what brand or strength of flavor you buy, they SUCK in taste comparison to any brand of RYO tube or pipe cut tobacco from a bag.

Last edited by Chief Smoker; 04-28-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Entry Member

D Wissert is on a distinguished road
Cool Caution with rolling moist pipe tobacco in RYO

Have been researching RYO with different types of tobacco, the conclusion so far is that pipe tobacco that is high in moisture content creates much more toxic smoke. Moist tobacco contributes to incomplete burns which in turn causes higher volumes of toxic by products like Carbon Monoxide. Any one else having the same experiences?

Initially began researching after switching over to Roll your own using Cigarette tobacco and then tried the pipe tobacco because it was 1/4 the cost and noticed the taste was better but after smoking for a few days of the pipe tobacco, got nasty headache and lungs hurt pretty bad and felt like shit. So started testing the outputs of monoxide and found some surprising results.

The cigarette tobacco intended for RYO was substantially less than the pipe tobacco, more testing revealed not so much a change in the content of the tobacco but the moisture content was the main contributor to the substantial changes in the results.

So to remedy the problem I dried the pipe tobacco RYO cigs after rolled for 1/2 hour at 170 degrees this lowered the "CO" Carbon Monoxide levels by
50 %.

Anyone else have similar experience and testing in this area?
Old 07-10-2012, 11:20 AM
NCJY

Originally Posted by camelsmoker51 View Post
I have been Rolling my own cigarettes for a while now and I have to say there is a noticable difference in the health effects. I used to get fairly bad smokers coughs and that seems to have lessened greatly, I used to have trouble breathing and a tightness in my chest and that seems to have lessened as well. And smoking cessation does not seem to be as bad as it was when I smoked prepackeged, I used to smoke alot but now, rarely more than 10 a day.
And it taste much better and much more natural than prepackaged, I'm starting to think RYO is the only way to go and im also starting to think these scientists are wrong, its not tobacco and niccotine that causes all of the problems linked to smoking it's the chemicals the tobacco companies put in prepackaged cigarettes that get people.

What do you guys think.
Health difference? Yes, better. Smoke more stronger great flavored smokes while I cough way less. Can't explain it, not going to "look a gift horse in the mouth".
Old 07-11-2012, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Chief Smoker is on a distinguished road

I'll throw in my two pesos:

When I was smoking a pack of Marlboro's a day I always had a wheeze in my lungs if I exhaled hard. I quit for 6 months (via chantix) and the wheeze went away, lungs cleared completely up.

I started rolling my own a few months ago using quality RYO tobacco vs. pipe tobacco. Although I smoke about half as much as when I was smoking Marlboro I haven't had that wheeze at all. I don't cough like I used to, and I don't chain smoke. One RYO cigarette is like 5 regular cigs IMO. It would be interesting to compare the entire list of chemicals in a regular cig vs. a nice quality RYO tobacco.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:06 AM

Burke is on a distinguished road

Amen! I'm disabled and have Fibromyalgia. I'm in constant pain, and I'm pretty sensitive to this stuff. I feel 1000X better having a tin of Peter Stokkebye around than I do having to resort back to store-bought. I'm going through hell right now, because I didn't time my ordering right; and ran out of P.S. Danish Export. I'm going through hell: Mentally, physically -and- my chest/lungs are all screwed up right now! From trying to smoke Virginia Slims...and even American Spirit (yellows). How's that for a difference?
IMHO: I believe store-bought cigs will really do you in...
Old 07-26-2012, 05:11 AM

StoneMonkey is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately, I've experienced just the opposite in the past couple months using RYO. I'm coughing myself to death. Cough so hard, in fact, my nose starts to bleed profusely. A staccato cough that just goes on and on. Also really short of breath, too. Switched to a mellow blend tobacco but no difference I can tell so next will try a light tube. Coughing so badly I've been forced to attempt to quit smoking, although haven't managed so far. Been smoking RYO since this past December.