How to Make Your Own Menthol Tobacco
I am a menthol smoker and have been for some 35 years. I am currently shredding my own tobacco and unfortunately, tobacco leaves don't come mentholated so I had to mentholate my own tobacco. Here is a great recipe to mentholate tobacco:
MAKE YOUR OWN MENTHOL RECIPE
• 2 Teaspoons of menthol crystals
• ½ Cup of Everclear or any high proof alcohol
• ¼ teaspoon of USP (food grade) Glycerin- This is the adhesive.
• Spray bottle
Mix the menthol crystals into the Everclear. Stir the mixture until the crystals are completely dissolved. Add the glycerin and mix. Place the mixture into the spray bottle. Place tobacco in a tub and spray a few times. Mix the tobacco around and spray again. Repeat the process until the mixture has completely covered the tobacco. You will not necessarily use the whole mixture up completely. Allow the tobacco to dry overnight until the alcohol has evaporated. The object is to get as much menthol on the tobacco with the least amount of liquid. The recipe is designed for you to make a menthol tobacco to your liking.
Menthol Crystals can be found online (I buy mine from an e-cig supplier.)
Everclear or any high proof alcohol. You need 151 proof or higher, me I prefer 151 Rum to Everclear as I do not care for the way Everclear smells. The rum smells and tastes better.
USP (food grade) Glycerin, I found mine at Walmart next to the band-aids. It is called Humco Skin Protectant
There is a learning curve involved. The first time I mentholated a half pound of tobacco and then tried it.....HOLY CRAP!!!!!!! too much menthol. Now I like a very strong menthol but, this batch knocked me on my ass. Easy fix though, I just added the other half pound of non-mentholated tobacco to it and that made it better.
The recipe makes 8 ounces of menthol solution. Use about two thirds of this solution on a pound of tobacco and you should have a menthol to your liking. Again, there is a learning cuve, experiment with it to find the menthol strength to your liking.
The other thing I like to do every once in a while is to add cherry flavoring to the tobacco, I don't do it that often but, it's a nice change to have cherry menthol every once in awhile. You can do this with other flavoring as well, just get the flavoring from an e-cig supplier.
Oh I forgot, cigarette companies use Mentha Citrata Oil to mentholate their cigarettes. I'm going to experiment with that here in the next week to see if I can get a better menthol cigarette. I will keep you all posted as to how it turns out.
How did Mentha Citrata oil go?
Real curious how it went?
Using glycerin, Everclear, spray bottle and drying overnight is a lot of nonsense!
I have been mentholating my RYO cigarettes for about twenty years...ever since RYO tobaccos haven’t put enough menthol is their tobaccos...before they were putting the right amount. I have smoked mentholated cigarettes (store bought and RYO) for sixty years...have been smoking for sixty-two since I was eight. I have as much of a menthol addiction as I do a tobacco addiction!
I too, have Fresh Choice machinery for shredding tobacco and injecting machine for injecting into cigarettes tubes. Since yawl’s prez Obammy doesn’t allow processed tobacco to be shipped any longer and he raised the taxes on tobacco to an exorbitant amount a few months before that.
I use a round-bottomed cup (rounded on the inside bottom of cup) like a mortar cup and the handle of a Craftsman screwdriver for a pestle or you can buy a pestle and mortar cup. And, you will need a scale, one that weighs in ounces and grams as... [url=http://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Biggest-Loser-Digital-Food-Scale-6.6-lb.-Capacity/11090896]Taylor Biggest Loser Electronic Digital Kitchen Portable Food Scale - Walmart.com[/url]
I mentholate 8 ounces of tobacco with 18 grams of menthol ground to a powder. I get my menthol from Mountainroseherbs [url=http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkmisc/bulkmisc.php#bu_men]Miscellaneous Bulk Ingredients from Mountain Rose Herbs[/url]
1) Shred the 8 ounces of tobacco one time.
2) Get a 29oz tin can with both ends cut off and ⅜ mesh over one end secured with a big rubber band to shake the 8 ounces tobacco through because the shredder doesn’t shred all the sticks and tobacco. Dump the un-shredded tobacco in the can back into the shredder and shred again.
3) Half your tobacco into 4 ounces each and put in two 1.1 gallon Rubbermaid flat containers (mine measures L 12" X W 8½" X H 3[/I]½")...whatever sealable container you use, make sure it will fit in your microwave.
4) Grind 9 grams (strong) 3 grams (light) of menthol crystals to a powder and sprinkle on 4 ounces of tobacco and gently work it just under the surface of tobacco.
5) Pour the other 4 ounces on top of the tobacco has the menthol in it.
6) Repeat step 4.
7) In a closed container, microwave the tobacco with menthol for 1½ minutes in 30 second increments to keep the container sealed and let stand closed for 20 minutes and then shake vigorously...let the concoction cool completely.
8) Repeat step 7 in other words, heat it twice.
9) Dry in microwave uncovered for 1 minutes and let cool completely.
10) Transfer to 34.5 ounce peanut jars below...the jars will hold 8 ounces un-shredded or shredded tobacco. walmart.com/ip/15174275]Walmart.com
Last edited by Chief Smoker; 06-30-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Color me lazy
I just got some menthol crystals (from WEMED via Amazon) and started considering what method to use. So while thinking I rolled a cig and before sealing put a very, very few crystals along its length so I would not use to much but get a feel for the taste.
It worked and I used too much. I used Two Timer Gold. The result was not Vengeur nor did I expect it but that is my gold standard flavor. (At least I think the name was Vengeur from D&R which is what I want to replace.)
I will not be surprised to ultimately settle on 1/4 oz per lb of tobacco at most.
Seems to me you are boiling off the menthol and then it condenses on the tobacco. If this is what you are accomplishing it would seem shaking immediately after heating would ensure even dispersal and condensation. The boiling point of menthol is only a little above water while melting is lower than body temperature.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Best Menthol Cigarette ?||Fumatore||General Smokers Discussion||22||07-25-2013 12:39 AM|
|How to make your own e liquid||andrewbolis||Electronic Cigarettes - E Cigarettes||3||11-17-2010 03:55 AM|
|TOP Menthol Tobacco||wipeout97||RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes||0||09-21-2009 11:33 AM|
|Camel Menthol Smokers - FSC and Menthol Pellets||wipeout97||Camel Cigarettes||3||08-28-2009 01:41 PM|
|Please make the phone calls!||cooldude||Smokers Rights||0||06-08-2009 11:59 PM|