Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes » Keeping a Carton of MYO Cigarettes Fresh

Keeping a Carton of MYO Cigarettes Fresh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 11:31 AM

Dirago is on a distinguished road
Default Keeping a Carton of MYO Cigarettes Fresh

Ok first off, I am new here and I am relatively new to the MYO/RYO scene (about 7 months). To start with I use the Fresh Choice Cigarette Machine with the Fresh Choice Tobacco to make cigarettes for my wife and I and a couple of friends of ours (we split the 12 lbs of tobacco). Anyway, I have searched the internet on how to keep your MYO cigs fresh and I only came up with ways to keep the tobacco fresh, not a carton of cigs you have already made fresh.

After much looking I decided to look at a store bought back of cigs and their packaging as they tend to stay fresh. I had to ask myself what is different between a store bought back of smokes and RYO? The answer was the packaging (of course the price and chemicals) was what kept the cigs fresh. If you look at a store bought pack of smokes the first thing you notice is the pack is sealed in sulifane, once the pack is opened you notice the paper backed tinfoil wrapped around the cigs. This is how the manufacture must keep the cigs fresh (plus use of chemicals) I thought and later found to be correct when I experimented. This is how to keep a carton of MYO/RYO cigs fresh:

1. Find some paper backed tinfoil at your local SAMS club or Resturant Supply store or just ask some kid at a local fast food chain that wraps their hamburgers in this type of foil (Wendy's uses this).

2. Line the inside of your empty tube box with the foil leaving enough tinfoil to fold over the top of the 200 cigs you have just made. This will package them in and help keep the cigs from drying out on you.

3. Make your cigs and fill the box, once you have filled the box, fold the tinfoil over the cigs making sure all of the cigs are covered.

4. Close the box lid and if you want, put a piece of scotch tape on the box to keep the lid closed.

5. Wrap the newly loaded box in saran wrap, making sure you pull the saran warp tight (not so tight that you crush the box) and that the entire box is covered and sealed.

6. Put your newly made carton of cigs away, they will stay fresh and be ready to smoke when you are. I do not recommend putting cigs in the fridge or freezer. Refrigerators and freezers will dry out cigarette tobacco no matter how well they are packaged.

I make 6 cartons of cigs for my wife and I (three for her and three for me) plus 6 cartons for our friends and I package them this way. I have been doing this now for a couple of months and have yet come across a stale carton of smokes.

If your like me, when I make my own, I like to make a carton or more in one sitting instead of a few packs a day. Now that I have found a way to keep a carton fresh, I spend a few hours making 6 cartons of smokes about every 3 weeks instead of an hour making 6 packs of smokes everyday. I like my freedom.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:18 AM

BackDash is on a distinguished road

Im only making smokes for me. I bought a cheap cigar humidor online for about $30. It holds about 160 cigs.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:53 AM

IMMO Tobacco is on a distinguished road
Default keeping them fresh

Tupperware works great

Originally Posted by Dirago View Post
Ok first off, I am new here and I am relatively new to the MYO/RYO scene (about 7 months). To start with I use the Fresh Choice Cigarette Machine with the Fresh Choice Tobacco to make cigarettes for my wife and I and a couple of friends of ours (we split the 12 lbs of tobacco). Anyway, I have searched the internet on how to keep your MYO cigs fresh and I only came up with ways to keep the tobacco fresh, not a carton of cigs you have already made fresh.

After much looking I decided to look at a store bought back of cigs and their packaging as they tend to stay fresh. I had to ask myself what is different between a store bought back of smokes and RYO? The answer was the packaging (of course the price and chemicals) was what kept the cigs fresh. If you look at a store bought pack of smokes the first thing you notice is the pack is sealed in sulifane, once the pack is opened you notice the paper backed tinfoil wrapped around the cigs. This is how the manufacture must keep the cigs fresh (plus use of chemicals) I thought and later found to be correct when I experimented. This is how to keep a carton of MYO/RYO cigs fresh:

1. Find some paper backed tinfoil at your local SAMS club or Resturant Supply store or just ask some kid at a local fast food chain that wraps their hamburgers in this type of foil (Wendy's uses this).

2. Line the inside of your empty tube box with the foil leaving enough tinfoil to fold over the top of the 200 cigs you have just made. This will package them in and help keep the cigs from drying out on you.

3. Make your cigs and fill the box, once you have filled the box, fold the tinfoil over the cigs making sure all of the cigs are covered.

4. Close the box lid and if you want, put a piece of scotch tape on the box to keep the lid closed.

5. Wrap the newly loaded box in saran wrap, making sure you pull the saran warp tight (not so tight that you crush the box) and that the entire box is covered and sealed.

6. Put your newly made carton of cigs away, they will stay fresh and be ready to smoke when you are. I do not recommend putting cigs in the fridge or freezer. Refrigerators and freezers will dry out cigarette tobacco no matter how well they are packaged.

I make 6 cartons of cigs for my wife and I (three for her and three for me) plus 6 cartons for our friends and I package them this way. I have been doing this now for a couple of months and have yet come across a stale carton of smokes.

If your like me, when I make my own, I like to make a carton or more in one sitting instead of a few packs a day. Now that I have found a way to keep a carton fresh, I spend a few hours making 6 cartons of smokes about every 3 weeks instead of an hour making 6 packs of smokes everyday. I like my freedom.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:46 PM

dds76 is on a distinguished road

because the fresh choice machine is so expensive, i'd like to speak with someone who's owned one for longer than a year. (the length of the warranty) i have a feeling, after spending the money up front, as soon as i get to a point where i truly would save money, the machine will break. (approximately the day after the warranty expires) if you have an answer to share, please do so. it's been my experience, that no myo/ryo machine is built to last. i don't believe this is an accident. they know you'll either buy more machines or give up and pay the price for ready made cigarettes. but back on point- have you owned the fresh choice machine for longer than a year?
Old 08-01-2012, 05:31 AM

dave72653 is on a distinguished road

I don't own a fresh choice machine but it says on there web site that they offer an unlimited i don't know how would they find out that who ever has the machine is only using there tobacco.

Got This from there web site.

Since we’ve developed experience with the machine, we’ve extended this warranty to an unlimited warranty as long as the user uses our all natural tobaccos. With these tobaccos you can smoke cigarettes with natural tobacco without any chemical additives.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:14 PM

A_Nony_Mouse is on a distinguished road
Default Keep them fresh? I am still lazy

Any grocery store sells packs of reusable plastic food containers for cheap. They seal air tight meaning they can't dry out. I recently found a small container of tobacco behind the couch I lost track of years ago. It was still moist. It was also a store brand not a name brand so even cheaper.

You may have some around the house. If not if you buy and it doesn't work for you, use them for food storage as designed.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:59 PM

Frankwt is an unknown quantity at this point

I use a cigar humidor, works great. I could not use Fresh Choice, just too much up front $$ I like the concept though.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:22 AM

ronsen will become famous soon enoughronsen will become famous soon enough

Keep them in an airtight container. With as little unused space as you can.