Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Malware on CigReviews?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 12:28 PM

PiccoloNamek is on a distinguished road
Default Malware on CigReviews?

I recently reinstalled Windows, and this time I thought I'd make a better effort to protect my computer, so I installed Avast! Professional edition anti-virus software. I was surprised when I loaded up CigReviews and saw the Avast notification pop up telling me that is has blocked access to a malicious website. But what was more disturbing was I was also informed that the CigReviews main page contains malicious HTML code. This could potentially lead to exploits being installed on a user's computer.

I have also received multiple attempts to install Trojans! What gives here? Don't tell me that me favorite cigarette website is really up to something nefarious.

Last edited by PiccoloNamek; 04-04-2009 at 03:19 AM. Reason: that IS malicious code. Thanks
Old 04-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Administrator

admin has disabled reputation

Dear PiccoloNamek:

We really appreciate you reporting this malicious code. We have taken care of this. Please be assured that we are here to spread love among fellow smokers and not to spread virus or any other malicious softwares. We will take this to our webhost and if needed we will even switch to a different webhost. Again, We would never do anything that would harm our visitors and we will do anything to ensure that nobody attempts to harm via our website.

Thanks again, and apologies for any trouble caused because of this.

Regards,
CigReviews Team.

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek View Post
I recently reinstalled Windows, and this time I thought I'd make a better effort to protect my computer, so I installed Avast! Professional edition anti-virus software. I was surprised when I loaded up CigReviews and saw the Avast notification pop up telling me that is has blocked access to the malicious website, whatever that is. But what was more disturbing was I was also informed that the CigReviews main page contains the malicious HTML code:

This could potentially lead to exploits being installed on a user's computer.

I have also received multiple attempts to install Trojans! What gives here? Don't tell me that me favorite cigarette website is really up to something nefarious.

Last edited by barfly; 04-03-2009 at 08:12 PM. Reason: removed copy of malicious code
Old 04-03-2009, 06:34 PM

I'm still getting the warning when I visit the main page, but at least the forums are still clean, so I have re-directed my bookmark to go there for the time being.

Last edited by PiccoloNamek; 04-03-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Chief Smoker is on a distinguished road

Piccolo,

We have removed the malicious script and I would like everyone who frequents the site to know this:

We switched hosting companies a few months ago to Mosso, a sister company of Rackspace because they came highly recommended as far as hosting companies go. We are now going to move Cigreviews to a new hosting company within a week. Mosso, who prides themselves on customer service and 'cloud hosting' has really let us down. They actually tried to charge us $300 for one month of hosting. It's ridiculous and we are making the move to a different hosting provider in short order. We really appreciate you bringing this to our attention and if you or anyone ever sees something shady going on this site please email admin@cigreviews directly.

Thanks
Old 04-03-2009, 08:02 PM

Thank you all for your quick action on this matter. Avast no longer reports any errors, so it seems like everything is good to go. That sucks about the hosting company. It seems like it is getting harder to find a good one these days.