Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > Fire Safe Cigarettes - FSC Cigarettes » Defeating the FSC nonsense and restoring enjoyment to cigarettes

Defeating the FSC nonsense and restoring enjoyment to cigarettes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 02:35 PM

RollEm will become famous soon enoughRollEm will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb Defeating the FSC nonsense and restoring enjoyment to cigarettes

I have noticed changes in the flavor of cigarettes as well as the feelings I get from smoking them, now that all brands in the US have changed over to meet the FSC regulations. The RJ Reynolds brands such as Camels, Winstons, and Natural American Spirit* have a stronger burnt paper taste and leave me feeling tired and out of breath more than before they were FSC. NAS also have a somewhat salty taste, perhaps due to the seaweed alginate they now have. Marlboros, now, taste like some kind of solvent and leave my lungs burning, my throat feeling constricted, and give me headaches.

The majority of the complaints regarding FSC cigs are from Marlboros and other Philip Morris brands. RJ Reynolds brands also receive a fair amount of complaints, though usually less serious in nature. One thing is for sure: FSC cigarettes are notably inferior to their original counterparts.

So, I had the idea of rehousing the tobacco these cigarettes into new paper and new filters to see if that improved the product. I started with Marlboro reds, mainly because they were unsmokable monstrosities and I didn't want to waste the rest of the pack I had purchased. I cut the cigarette open and poured it into a new rolling paper (Rizla brand, in this case) and smoked several of those over a couple days. It was quite nice. Vastly improved taste! Also much better feeling. Still had some strange light headedness, though. So then I cut open some more cigs, replacing both the paper and the filter. The filters I'm using are the Top brand. Now the Marlboros are even better! Great feeling, excellent flavor. This leads me to believe there may be something unsavory in the filters in these new FSC cigarettes.

According to Philip Morris' website, their cigarette filters may contain aluminum oxide; I wonder if that's what's bothering me. The majority of the nastiness was coming from the FSC papers, though, that much is obvious. At any rate, Philip Morris, RJ Reynolds, and Santa Fe Tobacco Co all claim the only changes in the cigarettes for FSC compliance were done in the paper itself (I spoke with reps from all of them recently).

To get the cigarette rehousing done, I'm using a hand rolling machine which makes the process much easier and quicker. They only cost a few dollars and are well worth it. Now I'm smoking these new & improved cigarettes, and the little bit of effort and slight increase in cost is well worth it, I can assure you! Filters are about a penny apiece and rolling papers 1-2 cents. By the way, no rolling papers I have seen are FSC, and they don't need to be. As you rollers know, roll-your-own cigs extinguish on their own pretty fast when you stop taking draws from them!

Since them I've taken to rehousing all of my cigarettes in roll-your-own paper. They ALL are significantly improved: Camels, Winstons, NAS, as well as Marlboros. The RJ Reynolds brands don't leave me feeling out of breath like they used to, and actually taste better than they did before FSC compliance.

So there you have it, folks. To defeat the FSC, which is essentially an attack upon the health conscious smoker (and doesn't make the cigarettes any more fire safe!), simply cut open those cigs and rehouse the tobacco into a new paper and filter. Or you could even go filterless if you wanted. Either way, they are great. If you're no good at hand rolling, get a hand rolling machine - they're very cheap and easy to use.

*Natural American Spirit brand is owned by Santa Fe Tobacco Co, but they are in turned wholly owned by RJ Reynolds.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Chief Smoker is on a distinguished road

Great Post Rollem! I made the switch to RYO a few weeks and haven't looked back. I had not even considered rewrapping Marlboro tobacco, interesting....
Old 04-27-2012, 09:01 AM

cooldude is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to cooldude Send a message via Yahoo to cooldude Send a message via Skype™ to cooldude
Cool

Welcome to the CigReviews Forum RollEm!

I been rolling my own (injecting actually) for a year and a half and I've never noticed my home made smokes going out on their own. Only the pre-made FSC compliant smokes go out on their own which is really annoying. Sometimes they even go out between drags when the cigarette is still in my hand! Has never happened with my home made cigs though. Re-housing of brands is a great step toward defeating the FSCs in pre-made smokes, I agree with that.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by cooldude View Post
Welcome to the CigReviews Forum RollEm!

I been rolling my own (injecting actually) for a year and a half and I've never noticed my home made smokes going out on their own. Only the pre-made FSC compliant smokes go out on their own which is really annoying. Sometimes they even go out between drags when the cigarette is still in my hand! Has never happened with my home made cigs though. Re-housing of brands is a great step toward defeating the FSCs in pre-made smokes, I agree with that.
Thanks for the welcome!

My handrolled cigarettes tend to go out if I wait too long between drags. This is true for the ones I make from roll-your-own tobacco, as well as the rewrapped store-bought ones I discussed in my opening post. Perhaps I could pack the tobacco tighter or looser for a better burning result?

Granted, none of my handrolled cigs self-extinguish as suddenly as FSC cigs, but they don't just burn forever all by themselves, the way commercial cigarettes used to when they had potassium nitrate (saltpeter) in the paper. Old Nat Sherman MCD's went out constantly as well if you weren't taking frequent drags. I can only imagine how often they go out now that they're FSC.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:15 PM

Send a message via MSN to cooldude Send a message via Yahoo to cooldude Send a message via Skype™ to cooldude
Unhappy

Originally Posted by RollEm View Post
Thanks for the welcome!

Perhaps I could pack the tobacco tighter or looser for a better burning result?
You're welcome!

I have noticed that if I pack my home made smoke too tight, it will go out on its own. But, also I can't even take a drag off of it when it's got too much tobacco in it. Usually happens when I'm injecting in a hurry; I get the trough too full and I'll force the handle. Good thing is I can just tear that smoke apart and re-roll it. No, I've got it down pretty good such that the home made smoke "falls off" the machine when it is packed just right.

I was thinking of maybe going to that Marlboro loose tobacco site that gatr56 posted about sos I could get some good ol' Marlboro tobacco to roll up. I just don't trust Philip Morris anymore like I used to. They have done so much to ruin online sales in a very contradictory fashion. I saw an ad by them today when I was on twitter telling people that if they order online they could get hit with a tax bill! And in the same ad, they're telling people that they should report all their online tobacco purchases to their respective state taxing authorities! WHY!!! Why would anybody report their own purchases to filthy revenuers? You are only going to get a tax bill if the online merchant reports you to the authorities. The only online retailers that do this now are "Jenkins compliant" sites and most of them (if not all) have folded already. It's just ridiculous to me that Philip Morris or Altria keeps up the pressure to shut down online sales. Originally, they started this pressure because they claimed it was hurting their sales. BS I say, if anything, it helped their sales. Now, here they are selling products online themselves. If I order online from Philip Morris, are THEY going to report my purchase to state tax authorities??? Sheesh!
Old 06-12-2012, 10:12 PM

Thought I would add a little update to my adventures in FSC battling.

1st off, I've been trying some RJ Reynolds brand FSC cigarettes straight from the box, to see if they really are as bad as I originally thought. When I had first tried FSC Camels and Winstons, they made me feel a bit light headed, but I'm suspecting that's really because I had taken a long break from smoking at that point, and was just starting up again. Since then I've been smoking RYO cigs for a month, and decided to give Camels and Winstons another try. They don't seem to make me feel any more light headed than RYO cigs now. They still aren't as good, though: they have a bitter, woody taste, and don't leave me with quite as good of a feeling as the ones I roll (or inject) myself. Plus, as has been universally acknowledged, you have to suck on those FSC cigs so hard your cheeks are practically touching together to get a good drag. However... you can partially mitigate this effect by getting your cigarette very well lit when you first light up, with a good flaming cherry, and making sure you don't wait too long between drags.

Nevertheless, of all the FSC cigs I have tried so far, Camel Crush have been the most enjoyable - particularly when you squeeze the filter to release the menthol. None of that awful FSC paper taste - I guess the Wintery menthol flavor covers it right up. Camel Wides and Natural American Spirits have been alright. Winstons are just disgusting in the FSC paper, sorry to say. They were one of my all-time favorite cigarettes in my earlier years. At least they don't make me physically ill like FSC Marlboros do, though.

I've been using a hand injector with empty cigarette tubes rather than the hand rolling device with RYO papers. I actually prefer the injector & cig tubes method now. The resultant cigarettes seem more pleasant, smoother, easier to drag on, and they actually stay lit on their own! Woohoo!! No more relighting the same cigarette 12 times during a smoking session.

So anyway, to conclude, hand rollers are good, but injectors are better if you want that classic, store-bought cigarette feel. If you must smoke FSC cigs out of the box, RJ Reynolds or Santa Fe Tobacco (Natural American Spirit) are much better choices than Philip Morris brands. Finally, whether you cut open FSC cigs and inject them into non-FSC tubes, or just use pouches of RYO tobacco, either way you'll happily circumvent the government-mandated FSC trash and enjoy tobacco the way the Gods meant it.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by RollEm View Post
either way you'll happily circumvent the government-mandated FSC trash and enjoy tobacco the way the Gods meant it.
It is better for me to use the injector and I do get the feel of a machine cig to a degree. These ryo cigs though are a bit 'fatter' than packaged smokes and more the size of my LibertyStix brand ecigarette.

Double kudos to anybody that can circumvent the mandated FSC trash whether they roll their own or buy from International duty free retailers.